Another Project

FZR400 Forum

Moderators: Site Director, FZR Forum Moderators

tomzilla808
Site Newbie

Another Project

Post by tomzilla808 »

Hi everyone, Just thought I'd post up a couple pics of my current project. An 89 FZR400 that used to be a friends racebike. It's been sitting in his Dad's yard for the last 6 years(the last year with no cover at all).
As delivered :(

The result of having no cover and no airbox in an area that rains 80% of the time

Fitted a 92 FZR600 engine for now while I try to find pistons & rings(impossible so far) for the 400 engine. Pulled everything apart painted the frame and swingarm black, scored a fox shock for $00.00!!, New upper fork tubes(way too long gotta machine them down) made in Italy with Racetech emulators. 88 GSXR750 rear wheel, Aprila RSVR rear caliper underslung, YZF600 calipers. Cut and raised the rear subframe 1.5" to update the look.

Tucked the tail light in

Modded the upper fairing by sectioning it and laying it back a bit. Again for a more modern look. Also note bars under upper triple. Kinda looking TZ-ish to me :D

Filled in the headlight hole for now until I figure out a lighting solution. Will post more pics as the build progresses. Final shot of my Trio :D
Thanks for looking!
Tommy
Evilchicken0
Level 3.5
Level 3.5

Re: Another Project

Post by Evilchicken0 »

Nice - maybe finding another set of barrels and pistons will save the engine, although I reckon it would run with a bit of easy start in it :mrgreen:
Don't read everything you believe
FZR400RR 3TJ Bimota SB6
riturbo
Site Newbie

Post by riturbo »

Sweet zx 7
1990 fzr 400
1985 gpz 750 turbo
1981 gpz 550
1983 gpz 550
1990 zx 7
tomzilla808
Site Newbie

Post by tomzilla808 »

Evilchicken0 wrote:Nice - maybe finding another set of barrels and pistons will save the engine, although I reckon it would run with a bit of easy start in it :mrgreen:
Possibly, but there is a decent amount of pitting on the cylinder walls due to the sitting water. Amazingly, no water got into the crankcase and even before I pulled the head the engine could be turned over by hand. The carburetors were absolutely destroyed however. All the body panels had some form of road rash and literally 10 coats of rattle can paint jobs on it. In the process now of repairing those and stripping it back to the bare plastic.
tomzilla808
Site Newbie

Post by tomzilla808 »

Some more pics. Getting closer to paint. Finalizing the shape of the upper and may make a mold from it once it's done.