1998 FZR 400 oil change tutorial, where to find?

FZR400 Forum

Moderators: Site Director, FZR Forum Moderators

skianreid
Site Newbie

1998 FZR 400 oil change tutorial, where to find?

Post by skianreid »

Newbie to the machine, on the road without the service manual for this barn find. Looking for a tutorial, video or print does not matter.

Boulder Moto Support
FB BoulderMoto Boulder Colorado
"Get outside,have some fun, and enjoy the backcountry"
Evilchicken0
Level 3.5
Level 3.5

Re: 1998 FZR 400 oil change tutorial, where to find?

Post by Evilchicken0 »

You're in the states huh ? They used to sell them on ebay for American dollar on a cd. you can probably find it on a download.

The sump bolt is on the side stand side of the sump
Don't read everything you believe
FZR400RR 3TJ Bimota SB6
TomcatMJ
Level 2.5
Level 2.5

Post by TomcatMJ »

At http://www.yamahapubs.com you can get official reprints of the Servicemanual if you live in the US (otherwise you wil ned someone to order and manage shipment to you because they only deliver inside the US).
On the other hand, as said before the Outletscrew for oil is the one with the Hexagon-Head and the additional Philips-Head near the Sidestand just above the Exhaustpipes below the Framepipe, at around 5 o'clock below the left Motorcover (Generatorcover) and depending if you change also the Filter (the Frontcover of the Motor just behind the Headerpipes at the motors Front is the Oilfiltercover, look inside the Sparepartscatalogue at http://www.yamahapart.com) you will need either 2,5 Liters SAE 20W40 Mineraloil or without Oilfilterchange 2,2 Liters will be needed.
The Torque you ned for the Outletscrew is 43 Nm / 4,3 kg*m / 31 ft*lb and for the Oilfiltercoverscrew 15 Nm / 1,5 kg*m / 11 ft*lb.
The Values are taken from the FZR 400A Servicemanual (which is as said available at Yamahapubs) but should also fit for the Non-US 1WG Models.

Edit:Amount of needed Oil corrected..don't know why i mixed uf the Oilamount with the Airpresure of my BT090 Tires ( 2,4 Bar Fronttire, 2,9 Bar Reartire)...maybe i worked too much at my Bike the last Weeks at around 30-37 ° Celsius :whistle
Last edited by TomcatMJ on Thu Aug 20, 2015 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The social dynamics of the net are a direct consequence of the fact that nobody has yet developed a Remote Strangulation Protocol." -- Larry Wall
Want Pics? Then have a look at my galleries...different topics: Bike and Car restauration, exhibitions, Trackdays (no, not me on the Track until now), carneval in cologne, other things.. ;)
willandrip
Level 7.0
Level 7.0

Post by willandrip »

Try this link over at the Archives.
You may have to register.

http://www.fzrarchives.com/ipb/index.ph ... opic=36294

Rather than removing the headers as in the manual;

There is sufficient space to remove the oil filter with them in situ, a sheet of baking foil can be manipulated to catch much of the oil spill.
Sent from my keyboard using the English language not some teen text shite from a fooking phone.