Anybody try to make a carb joint?

FZR400 Forum

Moderators: Site Director, FZR Forum Moderators

Witchboard
Site Newbie

Anybody try to make a carb joint?

Post by Witchboard »

Has anybody tried to make a carb joint, part number 1WG-13597-00-00, out of radiator hose before? It's the rubber that goes between the carb and intake of the engine.
TomcatMJ
Level 2.5
Level 2.5

Re: Anybody try to make a carb joint?

Post by TomcatMJ »

http://www.cmsnl.com/yamaha-fzr400a-199 ... 1wg1359700 its still available,so why not taking the proper ones instead of fiddling around with cutting rubberparts in shape? ;)
"The social dynamics of the net are a direct consequence of the fact that nobody has yet developed a Remote Strangulation Protocol." -- Larry Wall
Want Pics? Then have a look at my galleries...different topics: Bike and Car restauration, exhibitions, Trackdays (no, not me on the Track until now), carneval in cologne, other things.. ;)
Witchboard
Site Newbie

Post by Witchboard »

I know they are still available, but that really wasn't the point of the question. I was just curios and wanted to know the results if somebody had.
willandrip
Level 7.0
Level 7.0

Post by willandrip »

For the benefit of others......I believe the first link is broken.

This appears to work.
http://www.cmsnl.com/yamaha-fzr400u-198 ... wg1359700/

The procedure has been used on modification of the FZR 100 airbox to carb joint.

If it is utilised on the carb to head joint........the original rubber has a step inside that smoothes the airflow.
Without this ....ala. silicone tube substitution...the airflow is somewhat disrupted.

I suppose a smaller section of tubing could be inserted to replicate the original design if one was on a shoestring budget in
remote foreign lands.
Sent from my keyboard using the English language not some teen text shite from a fooking phone.
Witchboard
Site Newbie

Post by Witchboard »

Thanks. I've also seen where people have been boiling theirs in antifreeze in an attempt to rejuvenate them. I plan on replacing mine, but was curios.
willandrip
Level 7.0
Level 7.0

Post by willandrip »

The boiling in wintergreen oil or glycol is mostly where the much larger and more "flimsy" carb to airbox rubbers are
concerned.The whole item shrinks to a degree.

The carb to head rubbers do not appear to shrink but do suffer from perishing and cracking.
Sent from my keyboard using the English language not some teen text shite from a fooking phone.
TomcatMJ
Level 2.5
Level 2.5

Post by TomcatMJ »

http://www.cmsnl.com/yamaha-fzr400a-199 ... wg1359700/ for the Joints below the Carb to the Cylinderhead and http://www.cmsnl.com/yamaha-fzr400a-199 ... wg1445300/ for the Joints between Carb and Airbox should be working Links,seems i lost a Slash at the end of the link while copying it in my former Posting,sorry 'bout that mistake ;)

Edit: By the Way: I tried to refurbish some rock-hard Airbox-Joints with help of a Heating-Pistol (more Heat than a simple Hairdryer and in my Toolbox for Plasticwelding bigger Parts) and it worked only partially. I was able to remount them either on the Carbs or in the Airbox,but when i tried to first mount them on the Carbs there was no way to get them back in the Airbox properly, other Way around easy to plugin the Airbox but not to proper place them again on the Carbs...or maybe my glovesize (european 11) is even to big for fiddling in this Area in my bike,but i guess a new Set of Rubbers would solve the Problem quickly (as one could say "quickly" due to the needed time of deliverance from ordering on, i hate waiting :D )...
"The social dynamics of the net are a direct consequence of the fact that nobody has yet developed a Remote Strangulation Protocol." -- Larry Wall
Want Pics? Then have a look at my galleries...different topics: Bike and Car restauration, exhibitions, Trackdays (no, not me on the Track until now), carneval in cologne, other things.. ;)
Witchboard
Site Newbie

Post by Witchboard »

Thanks for the additional information. We'll be putting the engine back together in a couple of weeks and will be purchasing new ones. I don't want to pull the carbs back off after installing them.