FZR400 Forum

Moderators: Site Director, FZR Forum Moderators

Chris65
Site Newbie

Re: FZR562 questions

Post by Chris65 »

Stumpy wrote:http://forums.13x.com/showthread.php?t= ... =future+LW
Read through this thread to get a little insight
Read some of that thread and then did some searching on how the engine is configured. Very interesting for sure, but looks expensive when you start adding titanium rods and special pistons.

One thing I did not originally mention is that there is a claim rule in place that states someone can buy your engine if they feel you have spent an extreme amount of money to be competitive. The claim amount is $3000. I'm not sure if anyone would ever post the money to do this, but the rule is there, and it is a possibility. I know Ti rods for an automotive based engine can run $600-800 per rod, so I would suspect that by the time I acquired an R6 engine and paid for all the mods/parts, I would be over $3k. That was the one thing I liked about the FZR-YZF engine is that the parts are relatively cheap, even if the power is not as high as the destroked R6. I am going to look in to it more before I rule it out, but I do appreciate the info. It is an interesting build for sure.
dobr24
Site Newbie

Post by dobr24 »

Having built and still currently racing the 490. I would think you are still gonna have a chunk of change wrapped up into a 562. I know my motor was at least 3k all in. It could be done cheaper but not a whole lot.
'89 FZR400
Chris65
Site Newbie

Post by Chris65 »

So I have collected most of the parts I need for my project, and looking at some of the extras I have I started to wonder if the 600 transmission parts were interchangeable with the 400 transmission parts. I have a set of 600 transmission shafts and gears here that came with some other parts I bought. I decided to set them into the 400 case, and they fit perfectly. I looked on the parts list for the two engines, and the bearings and shafts use the same part numbers, as well as the forks. The gears are different, but I am wondering if this is because of the different engine power characteristics. After seeing that the transmission gears fit the case, I was curious to see if the YZF crankshaft mesh properly with the 600 FZR clutch gear, and it does. I am wondering is there anything that I'm missing that would prevent me from using the FZR 600 transmission gears for this engine? Obviously it's a lot easier to find the 600 parts then it is the 400 parts, and considering I already have the 600 parts here, that would be a big bonus for me. Does anyone have any insight on this? Thank you.
RoadDogma
Level 1.5
Level 1.5

Post by RoadDogma »

While not a direct answer to your question, it is still relevant, and hopefully helpful. The only reason to use the 400 case would be for class limitations requiring an FZR400 motorcycle to retain the stock engine cases. Obviously, that shouldn't apply in your case. Thus, I would use a YZF600 engine case/crank/transmission, instead. There were some upgrades in the YZF600 transmission (bearings I believe), so that could be a bonus. You could put the FZR600 cylinders/stud-bolts/pistons on the YZF600 case, and top it off with YZF600 head for increased flow. The result would basically be a "small-bore" (562cc) YZF600 motor. Thus, you can avoid modifications to FZR400 engine case and need for a special crank seal. Plus you won't have to worry about sourcing less common FZR400 parts.
FZR400 (1WG): Purchased a perfectly good FZR400 with Yoshimura slip-on/EXUP, Yosh jet kit, Factory ignition advance, Racetech springs and emulators. It even had great bodywork. Like some diseased maniac I had to mess with everything good about that bike. Well, at least I have better brakes now.

FZR400RR (3TJ):Yeah, it's pink.
DonTZ125

Post by DonTZ125 »

The one point to bear in mind with using the YZF cases and crank is that you'll also need the YZF rotor and TCI box.
Chris65
Site Newbie

Post by Chris65 »

Thanks for the replies guys. since I posted here last time I've acquired pretty much all the parts I need to do this. I have the 400 case all modified and I have the right stator and electronics. I've got my oversized fzr600 pistons. all I really need now is to get my bearings for the rods and crankshaft. I appreciate the comments. also just in case anybody ever wants to, you can put the FZR 600 transmission gears in the 400 case.