ninja 636 shift problems

Moderator: FZR Forum Moderators

apsolus
Level 2.5
Level 2.5

ninja 636 shift problems

Post by apsolus »

i have an 02 ninja 636. here is the problem, when i came into posesion onthe bike it wasnt upshifting everytime i tryed to. the peg would lift up but there would be no gear change. hmmm... so i checked the oil and yep it was low. so i added oil and it was working perfectly fine. would only do it once in a while. well i tookthe girlfreind out on a ride today and the damn thing wouldnt downshift at all. i got stuck in 5th gear and luckly got it to start shiftin again and got it home. would this be internal transmission related or is it something under the front sproket cover? feels like there is to much distance between parts inside ther. haha yes i know this isnt a ninja forum bonkonhead
ragedigital
4000+ Posts
4000+ Posts

Re: ninja 636 shift problems

Post by ragedigital »

Have you tried adjusting the clutch lever? Make sure that the clutch is engaging properly.

Hopefully it's a clutch issue and not a transmission issue. Could be shift forks or shift drum, but I would start with looking at the clutch.
Thanks for joining and participating in the most "active" FZR Community on the internet!
apsolus
Level 2.5
Level 2.5

Post by apsolus »

Would the bike try and lunge forward if it was a misadjusted clutch? Bike isn't showing any clutch symptoms but damn right I'll check it out I ain't gonna skip the easy stuff! Thanks
ragedigital
4000+ Posts
4000+ Posts

Post by ragedigital »

apsolus wrote:Would the bike try and lunge forward if it was a misadjusted clutch?
Certainly. Also could be an incorrectly installed clutch cover.
Thanks for joining and participating in the most "active" FZR Community on the internet!
_Will_
Level 5.5
Level 5.5

Post by _Will_ »

ragedigital wrote:
apsolus wrote:Would the bike try and lunge forward if it was a misadjusted clutch?
Certainly. Also could be an incorrectly installed clutch cover.
a lot of that going around, lol
apsolus
Level 2.5
Level 2.5

Post by apsolus »

no none of that is to blame. listen to this, after inspecting under the sproket cover i noticed there wasnt anything there to adjust, just the rod entering the engine case. so after doing some inspections of all the related stuff i took it for a testride. upshifted beautifully. now downshifting wasnt working. i found a little trick to make it down shiftagain. from lets say 6ht gear i would push the lever down, into 5th, then i would liftup slightly on the lever to bring it back up to the middle rest position, then back down to complete the downshift, you follow? and i would repeat that all the way to first. also while down shifting to a stop im sure all of you notice when your bike hits 1st gear the lever doesnt go down all the way like it does for the rest of the gears. well mine just continues to fall into that downshift zone. so i belive my trans is fine but there is something in the linkage that came apart or is broke. any one ever experience this? or havetorn into a trans and can guess at what componentwould cause this?
haunter
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Post by haunter »

missing a spring maybe??
apsolus
Level 2.5
Level 2.5

Post by apsolus »

i got some pics i wanna add. but dont know how to add to the message, help please
ragedigital
4000+ Posts
4000+ Posts

Post by ragedigital »

apsolus wrote:i got some pics i wanna add. but dont know how to add to the message, help please
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=521
apsolus
Level 2.5
Level 2.5

Post by apsolus »

hahaha i tryed but its getting close to bed time i cant spend all night figuring out how to post a pic! but i did get as far as posting and making my own album maybe you can go check out the pics there

EDIT:: Photos added (rage)

ImageImage
ragedigital
4000+ Posts
4000+ Posts

Post by ragedigital »

I don't see anything out of the ordinary...
apsolus
Level 2.5
Level 2.5

Post by apsolus »

i had no idea what i was looking at but it all lookedright. ohwel guess i gotta start tearing into it
apsolus
Level 2.5
Level 2.5

Post by apsolus »

there was never anythin g wrong with it. shift lever pivot was just gummed up and needed some lube. no buddy talk shit cause it aint my bike and just started happening suddenly! we tend to ignore the obvious. dont forget the lube boys :duh:
kilika2
1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts

Post by kilika2 »

apsolus wrote:no buddy talk shit
I don't think any of us has any reason to do that, we have all missed something obvious. Me expecially. Glad everything is working great now.

Chris.
ImageImageImage
Before(5/5/09)_____________After(5/5/10)_____________Way After(8/1/10)

1995 FZR600 Sold :-(
2006 R1 Sold :-\
2009 Buell 1125R :-)
ragedigital
4000+ Posts
4000+ Posts

Post by ragedigital »

apsolus wrote:no buddy talk shit cause it aint my bike
Sounds like you came from the GIXXER.com forums...lol

Return to “Honda / Suzuki / Kawasaki Garage”