need a kawi mod, can the experts take a look

Moderator: FZR Forum Moderators

_Will_
Level 5.5
Level 5.5

need a kawi mod, can the experts take a look

Post by _Will_ »

My buddy has a 98 zx7r that's been sitting for about a year but he's out of work for a couple of weeks and trying to do a budget rebuild. His plug wires are toast, do any of the experts on here know a car model plug wire set that can be interchanged the same way ours can ?

His clutch is also feeling funky, not surprising since it's been sitting partially in oil with no movement for a long long time. That I suspect will feel more normal with time and saturation.

Lastly the forks have some minor pitting from sitting, What's a good compound to clean them up and keep them from wearing into the seals with imperfections.

He's going stir crazy stuck at home, cleaned the garage, the house is spotless, and he just wants to ride his motorcycle. He's also best not left with too much free time, I keep expecting to come home and find his girlfriends house with solid fuel rockets or something.
sweekster
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Re: need a kawi mod, can the experts take a look

Post by sweekster »

Duane...
Bike:
1994 Yamaha FZR 1000 EXUP
Factory Pro Stage 1 Jetting | K&N Filter | Corbin Seat | ProTek Keyless Gas Cap | GSXR Mirrors
My Thread
Cage:
2005 Saab 9-7x 5.3i Arc AWD

THE WIKI IS YOUR FRIEND
THE SEARCH IS YOUR SIGNIFICANT OTHER
USE THEM!!
_Will_
Level 5.5
Level 5.5

Post by _Will_ »

We're actually looking for wires that work (but your link will certainly find a use), it uses the same NGK cr9e I think ours takes. Looks like we're going to just have to test resistance on plug sets at the auto store I've been reading a lot on the Kawi and Zx forums and these things seem me to electrical nightmares but pretty good bikes otherwise. I guess everything has a weakness
yamaha_george
5000+ Posts
5000+ Posts

Post by yamaha_george »

_Will_ wrote:My buddy has a 98 zx7r that's been sitting for about a year but he's out of work for a couple of weeks and trying to do a budget rebuild. His plug wires are toast, do any of the experts on here know a car model plug wire set that can be interchanged the same way ours can ?

His clutch is also feeling funky, not surprising since it's been sitting partially in oil with no movement for a long long time. That I suspect will feel more normal with time and saturation.

Lastly the forks have some minor pitting from sitting, What's a good compound to clean them up and keep them from wearing into the seals with imperfections.

W,
first there was arecent post about changing plug wires to the coils and what is required to do that (yes I know it was FZR related) but from experience the coils are alike in the fact the HT wires are glued in .

If your friend is that stir crazy have him dis-assemble the cluth was it out with gas. Then soak the corks in fresh oil for 24 hours and re-assemble (all steels the same way ie all sharp edges pointing the same way.

Pittoing on the forks clean with 1200 grade paper or arkansas stone VERY gently.
_Will_
Level 5.5
Level 5.5

Post by _Will_ »

yamaha_george wrote:
_Will_ wrote:My buddy has a 98 zx7r that's been sitting for about a year but he's out of work for a couple of weeks and trying to do a budget rebuild. His plug wires are toast, do any of the experts on here know a car model plug wire set that can be interchanged the same way ours can ?

W,
first there was arecent post about changing plug wires to the coils and what is required to do that (yes I know it was FZR related) but from experience the coils are alike in the fact the HT wires are glued in .

If your friend is that stir crazy have him dis-assemble the cluth was it out with gas. Then soak the corks in fresh oil for 24 hours and re-assemble (all steels the same way ie all sharp edges pointing the same way.

Pittoing on the forks clean with 1200 grade paper or arkansas stone VERY gently.

I assumed as much but would rather not wreck something on someone else's bike, motorcycles seem to be finnicky beast with sometimes strange quirks. This of course led me to your experienced opinion (my FZR is my first running bike)

I don't think he's entirely comfortable with something as involved as a clutch removal (nor am I on a bike that isn't mine not having done one previously)

Will certainly have him give that a shot testing on the lower unused portions, never heard of an Arkanses stone but I'm betting google will lead me to more info
sweekster
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Post by sweekster »

_Will_ wrote:We're actually looking for wires that work (but your link will certainly find a use),
My bad. In any case the Autolite 4303 plug will work then (cheaper than the NGK). As far as coils and plug wires go, it would not surprise me if they used the same coils on the Zx9r and Zx-11. I'd look for that stuff first and check the microfiche for them. Otherwise Nology,Accel, or Dyna coils and wires would be good for it.
Duane...
Bike:
1994 Yamaha FZR 1000 EXUP
Factory Pro Stage 1 Jetting | K&N Filter | Corbin Seat | ProTek Keyless Gas Cap | GSXR Mirrors
My Thread
Cage:
2005 Saab 9-7x 5.3i Arc AWD

THE WIKI IS YOUR FRIEND
THE SEARCH IS YOUR SIGNIFICANT OTHER
USE THEM!!
_Will_
Level 5.5
Level 5.5

Post by _Will_ »

He ended up picking up a used set off ebay, when we tested the resistance between a good wire from the bike and an automotive wire he had the resistance was too different. Plus unlike our top end his cams aren't split, it's just one big valve cover with holes and the diameter of the holes is surprisingly small. Here's a couple of pics

we could always try to use the old connectors but with the resistance issue it was a moot point

Return to “Honda / Suzuki / Kawasaki Garage”