R1 Oil Change/Coolant Flush gone bad

This is a bad to the bone 1000cc monster.

Moderator: FZR Forum Moderators

RS_Threat
Site Newbie

R1 Oil Change/Coolant Flush gone bad

Post by RS_Threat »

We were doing an oil change/coolant flush on my bike and ran into a problem. Ill try to keep this short and to the point

http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q177 ... 101/tn.jpg

What you are looking at is an elbow that goes into the bottom of the crankcase of the bike, it is a part of the oil cooling system. We were in a situation which required us to remove this elbow. See diagram below now.

http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q177 ... tled-4.png

The part that has the blue circle is the above pictured elbow, the blue circle is where it goes into the crankcase, so that is where the crankcase wall is. The elbow goes into the yellow circled thingamajig(waterpump?) which as you can see has two o-rings, that is all inside the crankcase. When we pulled the elbow, we might have pulled out the 2nd red circled o-ring off since only the 1st one was on there(The coolant was flushed prior and there was no oil in the crankcase when we pulled the elbow), we reasembled the elbow thinking that the 2nd o-ring must be in the yellow circled part, long story short the oil became milky after running it a couple minutes, we think that the 2nd 0-ring fell off and now there is water entering the crankcase.

Our solution is to drop the oil pan and just clean everything and see if the ring is there. Anything else that we need to look for? Any tips or suggestions? Do we need to get to the head to clean the valvetrain too since the contaminated oil made its way up there too? I hope I am as clear as possible but please let me know if I need to clarify and thank you.

1993 FZR600. Hayabusa tail.
RS_Threat
Site Newbie

Re: R1 Oil Change/Coolant Flush gone bad

Post by RS_Threat »

It's a 03 R1, if that makes any difference to anyone.

RS_Threat
Site Newbie

Re: R1 Oil Change/Coolant Flush gone bad

Post by RS_Threat »

Cancel that. Got it all cleaned out and put back in place today. A couple of O-Rings and 5-6 hours of work all done, and bike's back on the road.