Noise when grabbing gas

This is a bad to the bone 1000cc monster.

Moderator: FZR Forum Moderators

houseforsaken
Site Newbie

Noise when grabbing gas

Post by houseforsaken »

Hey guys, as some of you know I picked up my 06 R1 about 1 week ago and haven't had too much time to ride due to the New England weather. With the FZR I got used to the Yamaha ticks and sounds...but this is new to me.

I took her out yesterday and decided to see what all the fuss was about. I decided to open her up and noticed that when grabbing the throttle there's a rattling sound between 4500/5000 rpms and then it goes away. Needless to say this worries me because I just got her. It doesn't seem to do it in 1st gear or 6th. There's no noise if i just roll on the throttle normally just when I grab a hand full.

I got back home and listened to the engine..reved her several times..held the throttle open...and no noise. I'm hoping this might be "normal" or a chain/gear issue...

PLEASE HELP.

Thanks in advance.

-House
kiki231
50+ Posts
50+ Posts

Re: Noise when grabbing gas

Post by kiki231 »

My 2009 has a semi automated cam chain adjuster that uses oil pressure to "self adjust" on startup. On some bikes, after sitting a while, the cam chain will rattle until oil pressure builds.
If you search the R1 forums, they will warn you everywhere of how rattly the R1's are. The valves rattle, even though they are in spec, the clutch rattles, the cam chain rattles, and on old ones, the Exup rattles at certain rpm's.

It is very common, and this particular rattle is also chatted about heavily on the boards (5000 - 8000 under load) -- most say its usually the Exup valve and benign.
When things get expensive, I become a fast learner...

[i]1989 FZR600
2009 R1[/i]
steph42
Site Newbie

Post by steph42 »

Dont panic bro the hydaulic cam tensioners take a bit to work properly especially if the bike been left standing for a while or its a particularly cold day, they all do that my old 1 sounded like a bag of spanners until it was warm up ....but i must say they do go well... :yutugh2: lol

Steve :headbang:
_Will_
Level 5.5
Level 5.5

Post by _Will_ »

From the title I expected this to be a joke along the lined of "it sounds a lot like my wife calling me names and screaming when she's on the back"

Sounds like you've got an answer, so good stuff
houseforsaken
Site Newbie

Post by houseforsaken »

Thanks Steph...yesterday was a little cold, 52 degrees infact. Someone also mentioned it might just be lag in the tranny due to the fact these bikes are ment to be run at higher RPMs. I'll still go throught the EXUP valve and check the tensioner and timing chain.
I was hanging on for dear life grabbing that throttle. :)