Need help , cant stop chopping my cans lolol

This is a bad to the bone 1000cc monster.

Moderator: FZR Forum Moderators

PIMPMYFZR
1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts

Need help , cant stop chopping my cans lolol

Post by PIMPMYFZR »

There somthing about the cans for the older models <my bike> that dont rub off on me ..Ive tried a akra , gyt-r , yoshi, and hindle all of which were 20 inches or more long .... for some reason i got the chop bug .. First i tried a yoshi tri can as some might have seen .. Then i ended up gettin this Hindle can free on a sale for the akra .. So after measuring at about 22 inches i said wtf .. so here the finish product because i didnt have a camera at work .. btw i did this chop out of the backroom of a resteraunt ..haha

heres what it looked like long version im sure you all know what it looks like anyhow but for those that didnt ..

Now how it looks on the bike .. Personally im pretty impressed with my little can modding skills at the moment and think it looks pretty decent , My yoshi can i did with a friend out of his machine shop and came out oki this one i did all alone just with some bs tools i had laying around .... all comments welcome good or bad .thanks for looking .. Next chop gyt-r titanium ..

2002 R1 9k miles , Hotbodies undertail , Chopped Hindle Hi Mount , Solo Seat cowl,Frame sliders, little yellow yamaha wheel stickers .hehe
94' 600RR SOLD**
hid xenon
airtek solo tail
time for a 1000
R.I.P DaD 2/17/09 Your in my <3 always
Target30
Level 7.5
Level 7.5

Re: Need help , cant stop chopping my cans lolol

Post by Target30 »

damn man, that looks nice! i'll tell you what, I absolutely hated those fairings, and still do not like them that much, but your bike looks freakin awesome! everything just looks like it belongs together. just perfect.
I did that.

"(12:38:42) sweekster: i work when i want because i'm sweeks"
sweekster
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Post by sweekster »

Flo...put down the power tools and enjoy the damn bike already. 4 pipes in 4 weeks is too much bro. The hindle looks good and actually the best looking so far.
Duane...
Bike:
1994 Yamaha FZR 1000 EXUP
Factory Pro Stage 1 Jetting | K&N Filter | Corbin Seat | ProTek Keyless Gas Cap | GSXR Mirrors
My Thread
Cage:
2005 Saab 9-7x 5.3i Arc AWD

THE WIKI IS YOUR FRIEND
THE SEARCH IS YOUR SIGNIFICANT OTHER
USE THEM!!
tkclow
Level 5.5
Level 5.5

Post by tkclow »

Looks Awesome, much better.
92 FZR600
Yoshimura RS-3 Carbon Fiber Slip-on
02 R6 Caliper and MC Swap with S/S Lines
Dual Headlight Upper Swap
Clear Taillight w/LED Bulbs
Vortex 520 Conversion 14/47 RK Gold Chain
Shinko 006 Podium 150/60/18 rear 110/70/17 Front
More To Come
sbutler
50+ Posts
50+ Posts

Post by sbutler »

Did it change the sound much. Is it louder? :headscratch:
shift
Level 1.5
Level 1.5

Post by shift »

looks great. got one question for ya -- did the carbon splinter for ya at all? (during cutting or there after) i was told if you ever cut a carbon can, you need to use something like clear nail polish on the freshly cut edge to help keep it from splintering in time. :headscratch:

i cut off 60% of a yosh rs3 can on my r6 a few years ago. it's really quite easy with the right tools. i packed the can very loosely to get a bit of a softer, deeper sound at idle. but at mid and high rpm, it screamed stupid loud. luckily, it was mainly a track bike. on the street, cops could hear me coming a mile away. :duh:

..........................................................shitf.............................c3po...................next.victim............................................................
to see some of my ride videos, click the link: http://video.google.com/videosearch?q=b ... oogle.com#
may 2009: my 88 fzr 400 sets a speed record at the maxton mile: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlOk-6aUsKc
PIMPMYFZR
1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts

Post by PIMPMYFZR »

Thanks fellas , was hoping you guys would like it ,
Target , im thinking about all carbon fiber fairings but i just dont have the $$$$ for it at the moment , plus no Garage kinda sucks when u wana start wrenchin or takin stuff apart .. the ppl at my complex look at me like im stealing my own bike when im out there swappin pipes or cleanin the bike .. BTW I'm loving that solo-cowl !!!

Sweek .. I've put almost 1,000 miles since I've owned it , which is not much but to me it's alot .. had the fzr since 02 and only put 10k miles .. when i first got this bike it felt so smooth you just wanted to keep riding it . Only thing that sucks is refueling this puppy ,seems like the petrol burns way much faster and the tank isnt big enough..

Tkclow ... Thanks bro !!!

Sbutler .. Personally when i first got this can .. It sounder better then any of my other ones , Akra , gyt-r , yoshi but this Hindle had a nice deeper lower rumble .. But it was leaking exhaust out of the endcaps , so my initial project started out just taking the end caps off put some clear silicone on the ends and re-rivet it back .. then i said wtf chop-it .. Now it sounds kind of like those moto-gp style pipes that people are putting on there bikes now .. At idle i love the way it sounds just growls then when u twist the throttle it gets louder .. almost similar to a D&D pipe . But i dont mind the noise actually i think ppl are more alert when im riding in their comfort zone ..Only problem i would say is the vibration .. i can hear my tail fairings somtimes thats how much it vibrates ..
2002 R1 9k miles , Hotbodies undertail , Chopped Hindle Hi Mount , Solo Seat cowl,Frame sliders, little yellow yamaha wheel stickers .hehe
94' 600RR SOLD**
hid xenon
airtek solo tail
time for a 1000
PIMPMYFZR
1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts

Post by PIMPMYFZR »

shift wrote:looks great. got one question for ya -- did the carbon splinter for ya at all? (during cutting or there after) i was told if you ever cut a carbon can, you need to use something like clear nail polish on the freshly cut edge to help keep it from splintering in time. :headscratch:

i cut off 60% of a yosh rs3 can on my r6 a few years ago. it's really quite easy with the right tools. i packed the can very loosely to get a bit of a softer, deeper sound at idle. but at mid and high rpm, it screamed stupid loud. luckily, it was mainly a track bike. on the street, cops could hear me coming a mile away. :duh:

funny u mention that because, i have a collision shop next door and they wouldn't listen to cut the can because they said it would splinter or in their words . " the carbon fiber will unravel "".. What i did was , took some blue painters tape and wrapped the can twice in the area i was going to cut .. i was gonna use regular masking tape but i figured the blue would be easier to take off .. i really was worried about the splintering also .. but i got this can for free in a deal from selling of my akrapovic pipe so i wasnt to worried if i messed up i guess ..

i was worried because i cut off portions on both ends the first cut where the midpipe goes in came out nice and smooth , the end cap side i rushed the cut and had to grind one end to match the other ... it looks nice in the pics, up close and personal u might find some blemishes but this can was used before i bought it so ehh .... I really was looking for a little more pep from the can becuase the way the sounds stock slip-on style just not enought vroom vroom for my likes and im not buying a $1,400 full system ..
I"ve read the putting nail polish on the cuts to keep them from splintering somwhere also , but as far as cutting the can just make sure u wrap tape around it couple times plus blue tape helps when measuring and marking the cutoff points .. i used a magazine to mark my cicrcle .. I would of thought these short cans would be over the Db level allowed at the track . But im also worried i will attract unwanted attention on the streets also ..
Also when i pu if back together i used the same packing just cut it down with a razor blade , wrapped it tight as possible then too keep it tight i tape some duct tape on the outside of packing .. hopefully it wont melt and start smelling ..hahaha
94' 600RR SOLD**
hid xenon
airtek solo tail
time for a 1000
shift
Level 1.5
Level 1.5

Post by shift »

LOL @ the duct tape. let us know how that goes. i used safety wire to hold shape.

yeah, i heard using painter's tape will help hold the fibers in place during cutting and will not stick too much upon removal. i repacked with new packing and it smelt funky during the first 100 miles or so.
..........................................................shitf.............................c3po...................next.victim............................................................
to see some of my ride videos, click the link: http://video.google.com/videosearch?q=b ... oogle.com#
may 2009: my 88 fzr 400 sets a speed record at the maxton mile: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlOk-6aUsKc
PIMPMYFZR
1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts

Post by PIMPMYFZR »

man ... Shift .. I think i used your write up as a how to when i started chopping the cans .. Didnt even realize it untill i just googled it for another member that asked me about a write up .. So i believe a Thanks is in order ... Jesus wouldnt have thought somone from this forum would be the one teaching me .. but then again ive learned just about anything that has todo with bikes from this forum .. God bless this forum ..
94' 600RR SOLD**
hid xenon
airtek solo tail
time for a 1000
shift
Level 1.5
Level 1.5

Post by shift »

cool, i'm glad to hear it helped and inspired people to do it. i had one guy from r6messagenet offering to pay for round trip shipping and to pay me to cut his can down for him. i declined and told him he can do it, just follow the steps provided in the write up. :deal:
tampaFZR600
Level 4.0
Level 4.0

Post by tampaFZR600 »

yea, long exhaust are teh ghey, I chopped my yoshi can too...

BTW, never noticed your blacked out tail light, looks siiick

...... but really, my friend has a motoGP exhaust/buffle on his 05 r6 and that bitch looks SOOOO sick!
FZR 600 "bring back to life" project.... SHE LIVES!!!
FZR manual---->> http://commline.com/FZR/600/MANUAL/
megaloxana
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Post by megaloxana »

I always prefered longer cans for high mounts but I must say that looks damn good.
'92 FZR 600
Airtech R1 kit \*/ 520 conversion \*/ 14F-47R gearing
K&N pod filters \*/ Stage 3 jet kit \*/ Factory Pro shift kit \*/ Full V&H SS exhaust
Custom '02 R6 undertail \*/ YZF gas tank \*/ Raised via dogbones \*/ custom flush turnsignals
Full R6 brake set-up \*/ SS lines \*/ Progressive fork springs \*/ ZX2 coilpack

ADD YOURSELF TO THE OFFICIAL FZRONLINE GOOGLE EARTH MAP :bunny :banjoman
fzrwayne
50+ Posts
50+ Posts

Post by fzrwayne »

sweet can bro. i wont mind one on mine. looks good
PIMPMYFZR
1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts

Post by PIMPMYFZR »

its easy wayne .. just grab a hacksaw or cutting disk/wheel .. have at it .. neasure about ten inches or so whatever looks comfortable and go for it ..
94' 600RR SOLD**
hid xenon
airtek solo tail
time for a 1000