Need honest opinion safety wise for Tire

This is a bad to the bone 1000cc monster.

Moderator: FZR Forum Moderators

PIMPMYFZR
1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts

Need honest opinion safety wise for Tire

Post by PIMPMYFZR »

Ok well i was looking on ebay for a front tire and came across a Dunlop D208 GP Race Front Tire

.. msrp 229 i ended up getting it for 70 bucks ..it was NOS .. what i didnt do is read all the fine print and what not and kind of jumped on the auction at the last minute .. after further inspection i read where somone had asked the seller about the date code .. well it happens to be
The tire is new old stock with the date code being the 25th week (June) of 2001..

1. Is this tire still safe, usable or good even though of its age ?
2. if so ...Being that i dont have cash to drop on a new set of tires and this is stated as a Race tire will this work for just normal local road commuting as i dont ride more then average 100 mile trips .?
3. if doesnt work . Does somone have a front tire they can give me .. lol J/k but for reall on 1 and 2
2002 R1 9k miles , Hotbodies undertail , Chopped Hindle Hi Mount , Solo Seat cowl,Frame sliders, little yellow yamaha wheel stickers .hehe
94' 600RR SOLD**
hid xenon
airtek solo tail
time for a 1000
R.I.P DaD 2/17/09 Your in my <3 always
yamaha_george
5000+ Posts
5000+ Posts

Re: Need honest opinion safety wise for Tire

Post by yamaha_george »

PIMPMYFZR wrote:Ok well i was looking on ebay for a front tire and came across a Dunlop D208 GP Race Front Tire

.. msrp 229 i ended up getting it for 70 bucks ..it was NOS .. what i didnt do is read all the fine print and what not and kind of jumped on the auction at the last minute .. after further inspection i read where somone had asked the seller about the date code .. well it happens to be
The tire is new old stock with the date code being the 25th week (June) of 2001..

1. Is this tire still safe, usable or good even though of its age ?
2. if so ...Being that i dont have cash to drop on a new set of tires and this is stated as a Race tire will this work for just normal local road commuting as i dont ride more then average 100 mile trips .?
3. if doesnt work . Does somone have a front tire they can give me .. lol J/k but for reall on 1 and 2

Only you can say if the tyre is safe since it is under your nose not ours. are there any signs of dry rot cracking. I put a WIKI url a couple of days ago about tyre wear so if you do decide to use it you can inspect the tyre regular and see if your tyre is holding up and if your front suspension is working well .

A race slick is seldom road legal as there are no water grooves and would be treated by the cops as a "bald" tyre

Suggestion put it up for sale / swap I am sure some FZR racing loon will buy it LoL
ragedigital
4000+ Posts
4000+ Posts

Post by ragedigital »

The racing tires don't last very long since they are a lot softer than DOT tires.

I'm with George - sell it. Not certain a racer will buy it, but they might.
Thanks for joining and participating in the most "active" FZR Community on the internet!
mossy1200
Level 5.0
Level 5.0

Post by mossy1200 »

I raced a on a 2001 mitchelin grooved race tyre first two rounds last year.
I think the cracking worry is not to much issue on a tyre that has done no heat cycles as the compounds remain fairly stable.
208 tyre is dot rated road tyre.Even if it has hardened 10% with age its still going to be top end of sticky.
Would expect it will be a 1500 mile only tyre as its race orientated.
Your call but i would run it personally.run it at 32pounds only max.
reduce the pressure until it goes silky black after a brisk ride.
That tyre will go blue if you get it to hot(pressure to low)
It will go grey if to cold(pressure to high)
you need the pressure set correct or you will chew it out quick.
95FZR600
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Post by 95FZR600 »

You should be able to sell it for what you paid for it.
2002 Yamaha R6-----2003 Yamaha R6

PIMPMYFZR
1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts

Post by PIMPMYFZR »

ok guys , i havnt recieved it yet and actually paid 81 dollars but i was supposed to recieve this tire on the 18th or 19th but they mixed up the zip codes and when i tracked it it was headed for San Antonio, Texas .. emailed the dude about my finding , now they intercepted the package and re routed it to my address ..i asked for a refund but they stated that there is none .. duhh .. then asked if they would kindly refund shipping since they messed up . they did .. so now just waiting because the one im riding on now is cupped i think thats the term .. anyhow the right side of tire shows normal rounding and left side shows like a flat side somwhat .. but then again the tire is stock from 02 and has over 8500 miles on it . Anyhow once the new tire comes in and if its all dry rotted and what not ill either scrap it or try to get paypal to refund it .. The tire they have advertized on the pic though has the grooves in it and even states for wet areas .. here is the tire on ebay link i won
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... OTORS:1123
2002 R1 9k miles , Hotbodies undertail , Chopped Hindle Hi Mount , Solo Seat cowl,Frame sliders, little yellow yamaha wheel stickers .hehe
94' 600RR SOLD**
hid xenon
airtek solo tail
time for a 1000
mossy1200
Level 5.0
Level 5.0

Post by mossy1200 »

the gp is dot rated and is legal for the road.its one compound harder than hardest slick.good tyre.a new tyre dry stored outof the sun that has not had heat cycle should not have dry rot.It may be slightly harder but still sticky.expect 1500miles spirited riding or up to 3000nana riding.
You gota get the presures correct....
PIMPMYFZR
1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts

Post by PIMPMYFZR »

mossy1200 wrote:the gp is dot rated and is legal for the road.its one compound harder than hardest slick.good tyre.a new tyre dry stored outof the sun that has not had heat cycle should not have dry rot.It may be slightly harder but still sticky.expect 1500miles spirited riding or up to 3000nana riding.
ok thank you very much mossy for the sound input ...
and thank you to the res tof you also
94' 600RR SOLD**
hid xenon
airtek solo tail
time for a 1000
mossy1200
Level 5.0
Level 5.0

Post by mossy1200 »

PIMPMYFZR wrote:
mossy1200 wrote:the gp is dot rated and is legal for the road.its one compound harder than hardest slick.good tyre.a new tyre dry stored outof the sun that has not had heat cycle should not have dry rot.It may be slightly harder but still sticky.expect 1500miles spirited riding or up to 3000nana riding.
ok thank you very much mossy for the sound input ...
and thank you to the res tof you also
The gp tyre was designed for formula two racers who had restrictions and not able to run slicks.They needed dot tyres.
Dunlop made this style in qualifier also which was softer again designed for one race use then discard.
Qualifier was the same compound as medium slick.