97 yzf1000 won't start

This is a bad to the bone 1000cc monster.

Moderator: FZR Forum Moderators

sgmxr6
Site Newbie

Re: 97 yzf1000 won't start

Post by sgmxr6 »

Thanks for responding Don!
I know nothing of what's going on in my tranny as far as gears go I was just pretty baffled by it when I made the discovery myself.I'm curious but not enough to open it.Maybe your dead on Lol I wouldn't know how to tell.
The clutch rod does have a rounded end on it.My first though was that the ball was welded also ,but according to the manual it has a rounded end that's to be faced to the slave side.I've called all tge dealerships and no one has the rod ball today so its going to be a few days to see if This thing will function I have a lot of other teadious tasks to complete on my fzr600 that's been neglected by its p.o.I'm waist deep in body work with it and other cosmetics but its supposed to be an original vance bike so I don't mind to make it look right.
Thanks Steve,
P.S.Is there any other way of figuring out my tranny without tearing the case open?
1989 FZR600
1997 YZF1000
1981 Yamaha xj750rl
sgmxr6
Site Newbie

Post by sgmxr6 »

I need to get my photo bucket working and start taking pics of stuff I guess lol.That way you guys can identify things that have beed modified.I know the carbs have been done and it has some racing intake manifolds on it.The stock ones came in a box wi h the bike.Other than that I know very little about the yzf.
1989 FZR600
1997 YZF1000
1981 Yamaha xj750rl
sgmxr6
Site Newbie

Post by sgmxr6 »

Update:
I ordered the 11/32 clutch ball monday Not a single dealer keeps these in stock btw.So Its a next day part that comes in I go to get it and they lost i :-( .No big deal though So I get the ball finally and I get it installed and as I'm looking over the manual for the a-b line up marks I realize I still had a few plates in the basket and the a-b marks are out of sync so I spun the basket into place and the figured out this clutch doesn't have sny marks on the plates to sync with the basket and pressure plate assemblies.
Everything dropped together ok and I inspected for abnormal basket wear and didn't find any.I put the springs in and began installing the bolts.The springs don't seem to want to sit center.Not really certain if this is ok and the manual doesn't say either.I lined them as clise to center and began the torque sequence .Then it happened, One of the bolts broke off .So I spent the last hour with a dremel and a micro drill drilling the center of the bolt to get it out, and after a few choice words and phrases its out.!
I'm going to replace all the bolts with grade 8's and hope for the best.
A question for you guys with lots of experience in this dept. Is do the bolts have to be the same as stock length?
It appears that the clutch springs are nearly completly compressed in there tubes.???
The bolts tighten to the basket flush so I'm thinking they don't need to be 100% as long as o.e.m just enough to extend half the length of the threaded stem on the basket correct?
1989 FZR600
1997 YZF1000
1981 Yamaha xj750rl
sgmxr6
Site Newbie

Post by sgmxr6 »

Happy Easter everyone!
I got the clutch all straightened out! Don I didn't notice the squeel sound on my soggy maiden ride!
Hopefully you were on target with the clutch causing the sound.
Now here's the 411 Don, The transmission is in fact a 6 speed 1 up 5 down.I don't know what an undercut gear feels like or would sound like Don so I can't answer that theory yet.The bike ran great though I was a little apprehensive about opening the bike up to much with the rain.I got a the back wheel spinning a little bit so its best to chill out today.
Everything felt good ride wise The rear suspension is a little bouncy and I can't get the tail fairing off to get to the shock or the adjusting pot.The key goes in but won't turn.I'm open to ideas on how to get it off without busting stuff.
My tail light works but strobes like a strobe light until I brake then stays lit solid.I cleaned the ground main cable but it didn't help at all.The harness and connetions are cleaned and in good shape so I guess I have a date with the multimeter unless some is in the know?

Thanks Guys
Steve,
1989 FZR600
1997 YZF1000
1981 Yamaha xj750rl