Just got a new R1 WOW!!! need some help though

This is a bad to the bone 1000cc monster.

Moderator: FZR Forum Moderators

Shocka311
Level 1.5
Level 1.5

Just got a new R1 WOW!!! need some help though

Post by Shocka311 »

Well I upgraded to an R1 today from my little FZR 600. WHAT A CHANGE! This thing is unbelievable. I do have a question though. It's a 2003 and after I bought it I noticed when I'm decelerating in 2nd gear there is a clicking noise coming from the mid to front of the bike. It is not really in any other gear but 2nd. I'm a bit nervous because this is exactly what my car did when the shift fork broke. If the clutch is engaged in 2nd and I'm not accelerating I get the clicking and when I touch the throttle at all it pretty much goes away. if I disengage the clutch the clicking goes away but there is still a soft rattling of som sort, still only in second. If i'm coasting with the clutch disengaged in any other gear it's not there. I have a feeling I've bought a bike with a bad transmission. (still a bad ass bike). Anything input? Thanks
PIMPMYFZR
1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts

Re: Just got a new R1 WOW!!!

Post by PIMPMYFZR »

If all gears shift through perfectly and pull hard like they should then you should be ok !!! It's probably the notorious yamaha ticking .. i had that also .. could be the CCT cam chain tensionor but mine did that too pefectly normal .all those 1,000 cc's waiting to be unleashed ..lol ... Post up some pics of it .. if your in the states i have a TARGA SOLO SEAT cover yamaha blue for 02-03 just in case urs is blue and doest have one ..paid 189 brand new only had it two weeks before it got stolen .

BTW . I hope you got full coverage and dont leave it outside because R1 is like the most popular bike to get Stolen .. I dont care what statistics show about brand . Almost all i know who owned or know somone has had their R1 stolen or attempted .. Sucks but i guess they know its a bad ass bike ..
Enjoy her becuase they are badass bike .. I think the best thing you could do if it isnt done allready is change the front sprocket and go down 1 tooth .. i wouldnt even mess with the rear .. also if you do that you will have more chain noise and whine coming from sprocket cover because OEM front sprocket has a rubber ring wheras the aftermarket have no rubber hence the noise .. Still enjoy it ..
2002 R1 9k miles , Hotbodies undertail , Chopped Hindle Hi Mount , Solo Seat cowl,Frame sliders, little yellow yamaha wheel stickers .hehe
94' 600RR SOLD**
hid xenon
airtek solo tail
time for a 1000
R.I.P DaD 2/17/09 Your in my <3 always
PIMPMYFZR
1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts

Re: Just got a new R1 WOW!!! need some help though

Post by PIMPMYFZR »

ALSO
If you ever get sick of the 3 spoke wheels and want a good affordable swap you can go 5 spoke with a 04-07 rear R1 wheel + cush drive and rear rotor and 03-05 r6 front wheels with same year r6 rotors . they are identical and will swap onto the R1 without any machining whatsoever .. The axles from you R1 will fit and the front brake calipers will need to be spaced out by a couple washers .. you could space out the rotors but there is a edge so better washers on two caliper bolts then 5 washers on each rotor .. Just sucks my bike got stolen a week after i did that mod . They must of thought they were stealing a Limited Edition instead of a regular with powdercoated wheels ..
2002 R1 9k miles , Hotbodies undertail , Chopped Hindle Hi Mount , Solo Seat cowl,Frame sliders, little yellow yamaha wheel stickers .hehe
94' 600RR SOLD**
hid xenon
airtek solo tail
time for a 1000
PIMPMYFZR
1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts

Post by PIMPMYFZR »

LOL what really sucked is the night it got stolen i had just spend almost $450 on headlights , projectors, led's hid xenons the previous week and worked on it 10 hours only to get stolen a couple hours later but this is a little mod i did .. Bought a spare set of 02-03 r1 headlights
some projectors with angel eyes built in them
and some leds strips

then i threw the headlights in the oven for about 5-7 minutes with the oven at 250 degrees
took apart the glass from the headlight housing . sprayed the reflector black , siliconed the led strips across the front of the headlight housing installed projectors and closed them up put them back in the oven and VIOLA
02-03 headlight with projectors , angel eyes, and audi r8 style led's
came out looking like this

with lights

on the bike

94' 600RR SOLD**
hid xenon
airtek solo tail
time for a 1000
Shocka311
Level 1.5
Level 1.5

Post by Shocka311 »

Those lights look SICK!!! I may just have to do that cause that is bad ass. So then R1s are notorous for a tick huh? It is just really hard for me to believe this noise is normal. I'm freakin out about it cause it sounds SO bad but this thing pulls HARD through every gear. Why would it just do it in 2nd gear? weird shit, hope is't ok. Anyway, I'll get some pics up soon. Thanks for the help.
thatkid

Post by thatkid »

Shocka311 wrote: So then R1s are notorous for a tick huh? It is just really hard for me to believe this noise is normal. I'm freakin out about it cause it sounds SO bad but this thing pulls HARD through every gear. Why would it just do it in 2nd gear? weird shit, hope is't ok. Anyway, I'll get some pics up soon. Thanks for the help.
Could it be paranoia?

Wow, this came out of my crank case

I wana see pics of your baddass R1 soon!
Shocka311
Level 1.5
Level 1.5

Post by Shocka311 »

mawler wrote:
Shocka311 wrote: So then R1s are notorous for a tick huh? It is just really hard for me to believe this noise is normal. I'm freakin out about it cause it sounds SO bad but this thing pulls HARD through every gear. Why would it just do it in 2nd gear? weird shit, hope is't ok. Anyway, I'll get some pics up soon. Thanks for the help.
Could it be paranoia?

Wow, this came out of my crank case

I wana see pics of your baddass R1 soon!
LOL!!! seriously. Maybe I do have a complex now. Lemme go take some pics for you guys
Shocka311
Level 1.5
Level 1.5

Post by Shocka311 »

Here are some pics.

thatkid

Post by thatkid »

That's a very nice motorcycle you have there.

Holy sh#t I want one now, what's your home address and zip code please lol.
Shocka311
Level 1.5
Level 1.5

Post by Shocka311 »

mawler wrote:That's a very nice motorcycle you have there.

lol, can't have this one but there are 4 or 5 for sale here; really good deals too. I paid 3300 for this one, 2k under kbb.
thatkid

Post by thatkid »

Shocka311 wrote:

lol, can't have this one but there are 4 or 5 for sale here; really good deals too. I paid 3300 for this one, 2k under kbb.
Im not guna buy one, I was hoping to steal yours lol.

Joking apart You should ensure yours will never be stolen. Trust me.
PIMPMYFZR
1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts

Post by PIMPMYFZR »

Shocka311 wrote:

thats not a bad deal for a 03 at all ..
i paid 3900 last march for a 02 completely stock 8k miles original owner clean title not one scratch on it spent about another 3 grand or so buying stupid sh*t then changing that out for somthing else till i got it to look how i wanted .Phuk it now .. i want another R1 so bad .. I'm sittin on a 06 gsxr 600 right now that needs some work before she road ready but i got it dirt cheap and allready spent $500 on parts and havnt done any work on it yet . Also got a crashed 07 gsxr 600 bought for parts and parting out . ehh this suks i should be riding !! if you see any good 05-06 R1 deals like under 5k let me know lol even though that might not be likely unless its salvage or been dropped .. Have fun , be safe and dont go over your limits . That R1 is a beast < as your finding out> and will toss u on your ass if your disrespect it .. big jump from fzr600 to R1 .. even though i thought it was the best thing ever happen to me also lolol :banana:
94' 600RR SOLD**
hid xenon
airtek solo tail
time for a 1000
Shocka311
Level 1.5
Level 1.5

Post by Shocka311 »

PIMPMYFZR wrote:
Shocka311 wrote:

thats not a bad deal for a 03 at all ..
i paid 3900 last march for a 02 completely stock 8k miles original owner clean title not one scratch on it spent about another 3 grand or so buying stupid sh*t then changing that out for somthing else till i got it to look how i wanted .Phuk it now .. i want another R1 so bad .. I'm sittin on a 06 gsxr 600 right now that needs some work before she road ready but i got it dirt cheap and allready spent $500 on parts and havnt done any work on it yet . Also got a crashed 07 gsxr 600 bought for parts and parting out . ehh this suks i should be riding !! if you see any good 05-06 R1 deals like under 5k let me know lol even though that might not be likely unless its salvage or been dropped .. Have fun , be safe and dont go over your limits . That R1 is a beast < as your finding out> and will toss u on your ass if your disrespect it .. big jump from fzr600 to R1 .. even though i thought it was the best thing ever happen to me also lolol :banana:
Ya this thing has a PC3 and yoshi exhaust already too. It doesn't seem to be tuned real aggressively but who the f#ck cares? It's still faster than hell. I'll keep my eyes open for some good deals for you. I just hope the trans isn't bad in mine because second gear sounds lik total sh#t. If I have my headphones in and pretend I don't know it's there this bike is perfect. I'm having so much fun with it, even just going the speed limit on it is a riot.