UK FZR600r 4jh electrical nightmare

In the states, this was the upgrade to the FZR600. In other places, this is called an FZR. Either way, many of the components of the US YZF600r fit onto the US FZR600.

Moderator: FZR Forum Moderators

Davetherave17
Site Newbie

UK FZR600r 4jh electrical nightmare

Post by Davetherave17 »

Hello everyone

Im in the south West of the Uk in somerset and i have recently bought a FZR600R 1994 the bike has been done in a street fighter fashion poorly and im trying to get it up together and back on the road!

Now the issue i have had for weeks is the bike would turn over but no spark what so ever... the wiring has been butcherd spliced and chopped about so knew i didnt have a good starting point, there was also a completly fried wire going from the bottom of my fuel tank which had no insulation left as it had all melted off!
however it was turning over well so tested there was power going to the coils, tired a different ECU and made sure all the switches were engaging but nothing!

So had a guy from the local bike shop come out and decided best route was to get a new loom, as i had the ignition switch directly spliced into wires going into the fuse box and there was electrical tape and really bad twisted connections.

so got the new loom and went swapping like for like on all the plugs and all was fine and well until i get to the part where the ignition had been directly wired into the wires going into the fuse box, i had no option but to cut this. went forward with installing the loom and everything seems to have a plug except from a couple

one being the speedo clocks (as he had changed to a single speedo and done some dodgy wiring the connector on the original loom had been cut) i have the new loom with the connector and some clocks on their way to me so it will be original

i am struggling to see where my igintion would plug in if it had a plug on the end of it?! i have seen pictures new ignition barrels on the interent with two plugs??

Im in need of someone with pictures or any guidence on the situation, got the new clocks coming and may have to buy a new ignition barrel with the plugs on the end if i know where it plugs in

Thanks

David
DonTZ125

Re: UK FZR600r 4jh electrical nightmare

Post by DonTZ125 »

Our resident crusty perma-banned member suggested I send you this link, to the wiring diagram for a '97 YZF600 T-Cat (4TV); it's very similar to the 4JH YZF600 (US) / FZR600R (UK). He suggested checking the routing for your safety switches, since the TCI signal wire for the safety system goes through the key switch.
DonTZ125

Post by DonTZ125 »

Ok - i've read your post again (several times) - it was a little confusing. Look at the lower of two wiring diagrams on this page for the UK model. Note the ignition switch in the top-left corner.

The UK Foxeye ignition (key) switch uses two connectors, with a 4-way and a two-way. This eBay listing should be what you're after.
baggers
Site Newbie

Post by baggers »

Copy if the 4JH wiring diagram e-mailed to you dave :)
1995 FZR 600r Foxeye. Red, White and Blue.
Davetherave17
Site Newbie

Post by Davetherave17 »

Thanks very much to Rick ( baggers) for the wiring diagram!!

Right i have resolved my ignition barrel issue, bought a new one and plugs in as it should. There was some crazy wiring before which i have got rid of :)

So got a new ignition barrel

Got some new speedo clocks original this time.

Plugged it all in and no spark and no neutral light? bulb looks fine but will swap around and test.

My main question is i plan to do away with the clutch switch... but!

When the clutch is engaged ( pulled in) does this make or break the circuit? i have at the moment got the two wires connected and completing the circuit but seen a few diagrams and thing this could be wrong and the reason for no spark?

so should they be connected or not connected for the bike to spark? it still cranks over and i hear no relays/switches clicking when i touch the wires together

Thanks

David
DonTZ125

Post by DonTZ125 »

The clutch switch 'makes' when the lever is fully pulled in. It is NOT used to determine safe sparking, but only safe cranking; once the engine is running, the clutch switch is no longer in play. Think about it - when you're at a stop light, the clutch lever is fully in. When you're rolling down the road, the clutch lever is fully out.
Davetherave17
Site Newbie

Post by Davetherave17 »

cheers Don looks like my switch must be working some where as it allows it to crank connected or not!!
my bike will only start with the sidestand up no matter if its in gear or not? my neutral light is not coming on when in neutral

I think i have confirmed why i am not getting a spark, tested all Stator/generator the best i could while still on the bike, across all different points when cranking i only managed to get around 0.13 volts barely anything pretty much dead

Took the stator off and it does not look that great.. what do you guys think? it looks brown all over, smells a little and seen a youtube video saying if it looks like this its a bad one!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/61249895@N04/10058813216

http://www.flickr.com/photos/61249895@N04/10058813216/

Have a look at my other photos thanks

Dave
DonTZ125

Post by DonTZ125 »

Check your neutral switch for security and function.

How are you checking your stator? 0.13v is a little shy of what's needed to crank the engine over, so I'm pretty sure there's more going on that that. Are you using the AC scale or DC? You can't get a good sense of the stator if you can't get it running, but you can still unplug the VRR and measure what AC voltage is across each pair of the 3 white wires.

Take a look at this post by some old-fart knowitall; it's for the 3HE FZR, but just about everything applies to the 4TJ Foxeye.
Davetherave17
Site Newbie

Post by Davetherave17 »

I have been checking the voltage produced by the generator/ coil by putting my multi meter on all the connections and cranking over the bike..

I have also just seen there are signs that the larger connector in the 3 way has got very hot and burned/melted the plastic connector it is sat in, it has melted through both sides and also in the front of the plug.

The Previous owner has also spaced the whole stator/generator peanut cover with about 4mm of perspex, by creating a home made gasket and i have only 2 bolts holding the generator in where there should be three.

Do i have the wrong generator stator i ask? with the spacing gasket and the burn marks are worrying
Davetherave17
Site Newbie

Post by Davetherave17 »

Have made a new discovery

They used the 3he generator cover with around 4mm of plastic perspex to pack it out instead of the 4jh case!!

So i might of had the right generator/stator/pickup but the case it is sat in was wrong!! got a 4jh and another stator on its way hopefully

Lots of marks on the old stator of it getting hot and does not look in good shape at all and will certainly not be re using the old 3he case and plastic spacer!!

Dave