Fzr600r carb cleaning help

In the states, this was the upgrade to the FZR600. In other places, this is called an FZR. Either way, many of the components of the US YZF600r fit onto the US FZR600.

Moderator: FZR Forum Moderators

A18n
Site Newbie

Fzr600r carb cleaning help

Post by A18n »

FB_IMG_1434358195097.jpg
h
Hi all I needed to take my carbs off to clean them
FB_IMG_1462645304906.jpg
-took float bowl off
-took float and float Needle off
-took brass fitting/gauze out (where float Needle sits)
-took main jet out (middle hole) I think
-took idle jet out (left hole) I think
-took air/fuel mix screw out
-took rear plastic off each carb
-and removed diaphragms
Cleaned the insides as best as I could with carb cleaner all holes blasted through with carb cleaner then again the next day while jets were left to soak in carb cleaner over night also gave them a blow out with compressed air to get rid of any loose crap refitted everything only to find out that I shouldn't have touched the fuel/air mix screw but it came with the carb kit so I removed it and replaced it with new one I cleaned and checked holes in jets and was able to see small pin sized light through holes in jets all replaced fuel/air mix turned out 2 on all 4 carbs reinstalled carbs no only two outside cylinders are working too hot to touch headder from these cylinders but the two inner cylinders headders can touch no problem I have tried turning inner fuel/air mix in and out various times and has made no difference ,also was told to check the float levels I have read these should be around 23-24mm but where do I get that measurement from I have tried putting the old ones back in and checked them and they all the same hight where as the other new ones were not any one with suggestions I would be greatly appreciate the help (my first time stripping carbs )
buzzawak
Level 2.0
Level 2.0

Re: Fzr600r carb cleaning help

Post by buzzawak »

Hi A18n,
Was the bike running (and how well) before you did the carbi service?
A18n
Site Newbie

Post by A18n »

Hi it was running a bit rough / lumpy then I left it for about 3month in the garage and when I came back I empty'd all old fuel drained carbs then added fresh fuel then tried to start and it wouldn't start at all and fuel started to drip from over flow pipes on carbs I was advised to clean carbs and was told the valve clearance was checked 3,000 mile ago so would be OK just to clean the carbs I can get it running but only the two outside carbs it and it will only run on 3/4 or fully choked and sits around 3,000 to 4,000 rpm and as soon as the choke is off it dies within 10 seconds I haven't actually separated the carbs so am I right in thinking it should still be synronised only cleaned passages ,jets and float bowl any help would be good I have a Haynes manual but it doesn't cover my carbs fzr 600r I think it's the same as a yzf 600r but not sure where do I check float hight from- to ? And am I correct in thinking 2 1/2 turns out is a starting point for the air/fuel mix screw ?and thanks for any help
buzzawak
Level 2.0
Level 2.0

Post by buzzawak »

As soon as you make any change to the carbies they will be out of sync.
First thing is the get them running with out choke, even if its running poor.
Depending on the carbies you have on the outside of the float bowl you may have a line marked, this is your fuel level.
Using a clear plastic tube attached to the drain hole on each carbie you want to your fuel level.
Chapter 5-17 in the Haynes manual (Yamaha FZR600, 750 & 100 Fours ' 87 to 96)

What was the carbie kit did you use, please provide a link if you can?
A18n
Site Newbie

Post by A18n »

Hi this was the kit I used I was looking for the fzr600 kits but was told this is the kit I needed for the fzr600r and it seemed to fit OK
Attachments
Screenshot_20160820-171135_1.jpg
willandrip
Level 7.0
Level 7.0

Post by willandrip »

buzzawak wrote:As soon as you make any change to the carbies they will be out of sync.
First thing is the get them running with out choke, even if its running poor.
Depending on the carbies you have on the outside of the float bowl you may have a line marked, this is your fuel level.
Using a clear plastic tube attached to the drain hole on each carbie you want to your fuel level.
Chapter 5-17 in the Haynes manual (Yamaha FZR600, 750 & 100 Fours ' 87 to 96)

What was the carbie kit did you use, please provide a link if you can?

That Haynes manual quote is of no use.
He has a 600R.. 4JH .its a totally different bike and should have 34mm Keihin carbs.

Here's the spec.
Sent from my keyboard using the English language not some teen text shite from a fooking phone.
buzzawak
Level 2.0
Level 2.0

Post by buzzawak »

The purpose of the Haynes manual reference is show how to check the actual fuel levels in the carbies.

I will leave it up you Willandrip to provide A18n the help he has requested.
willandrip
Level 7.0
Level 7.0

Post by willandrip »

I cannot recall if Keihim carb fuel levels are checked as per Mikuni.
I will post up a link to the works manual when I get time to look for it.

Don't go off in a huff.

Why anyone uses the Haynes is a fooking mystery ...its good for f*ck all.
Sent from my keyboard using the English language not some teen text shite from a fooking phone.
A18n
Site Newbie

Post by A18n »

Cheers for the help lads willandrip have you done these carb setups before ?
A18n
Site Newbie

Post by A18n »

Fuel hight on carb 1 (all about the same )[attachment=0]IMAG0767_1_1.jpg[/attachment
Bike still won't start unless choke on even when hot runs at about 3,500-4,000 rpm with choke on then when choke turned off it either dies straight away or runs for 10-15 seconds then dies when it does run for 10-15 seconds it sits around 2,000-2,500 rpm and dies any help please I miss riding it alot :tks:
Attachments
IMAG0767_1_1.jpg
buzzawak
Level 2.0
Level 2.0

Post by buzzawak »

First thing that comes to mind is your idle circuit is blocked.
What happens if you have the bike at 1/2 - 3/4 throttle and close (turn off) the choke ?

1) I would be stripping down are carbies and making sure all the passage ways are clear (not just the jets). ( I use a fine wire as well as compressed air) (including checking the choke circuit)
2) All parts are correct for the carbi model
3) manually check that the diaphragm are working.

I am not familiar with keihin carbies so can't offer any specifics.
A18n
Site Newbie

Post by A18n »

OK will give that another go and post results fingers crossed
A18n
Site Newbie

Post by A18n »

I got all the carbs cleaned out reset the fuel/Air screw 2.5 turns out and new fuel again and she is running good it takes a little bit longer to start than she used to but when you rev it I can get 13,000 rpm no problem but as soon as I try to pull away it dies any way I got sick of not riding it so I put it in the local garage but hes having trouble getting the float hight details (fzr600 says 22mm) but i just found this post again so will give him these details see if they get it sorted fingers crossed, so are my carbs a thundercat carbs thanks for any replys