Yamaha Genesis FZR600 1989 to Streetfighter?

For the bad boyz, here a little arena for you to get fightin'!

Moderators: Site Director, FZR Forum Moderators

conscriptboris
Site Newbie

Yamaha Genesis FZR600 1989 to Streetfighter?

Post by conscriptboris »

Hi all,

Firstly, Hi, I have been reading up on the very handy wikis and How-Tos on your site, they have been very helpful, and don't worry, I wont ask what the widest rear tyre I can put on a stock FZR600 is :)

My Project is slow burn, working under three factors:

1) Time available outside of Career/Family Life
2) Amount of Cash I can smuggle from the Joint account :D
3) My ability as a complete noob who has, until this point, only read books on how this shit goes down.

So, my bike:

My Intent, to strip the bike down, almost completely. Replace worn parts/usual suspects (currently developing a list from this site), and give the engine a good clean/service, then rebuild. I want to repaint the engine block and frames matt blank and look at the carbon fibre vinyl for tank and rear seat.

I would love to install a single sided swing arm, but I have no experience in tis area at all. Can anyone link me into a discussion ref a FZR 89 single sided swing arm, or advise if it can be done?

As for electronics I am currently looking at this http://www.digital-speedos.co.uk/rx1n-m ... -702-p.asp

So, I hope to get the engine out and cleaned this Xmas hol. then 2014 looks to be the re-build as the cash is available!

If anyone can help me on two points I am currently trying to consider:

- Can I install a single sided swing arm on the bike, any advice?

- Im looking at a streetfighter 'ethos', anyone know of pre made seats that can be 'bastardised', or are they generally welded from scratch?

Regards,

Elvis
thatkid
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Re: Yamaha Genesis FZR600 1989 to Streetfighter?

Post by thatkid »

A few things I would say.

If you are planning on slowly doing this as money allows I would avoid a single sided swingarm. With what you've said about your limited experience in this sort of thing, that isn't a project you want to take on lightly. It will cost you a lot of cash and a lot more time. Just getting a swingarm and wheel that will work will be $600-700. Then all the fabrication that has to be done in order to make it work. While it looks cool it doesn't do much more than that.

The KOSO gauges you are looking at are nice. There is writeup on the site somewhere I think of someone that installed the knockoff version. There are few hurdles form I recall but a good gauge.

As for the streetfighter side of things, most of it is done inhouse by the person building it. Everyone has their own vision of a fighter and so people truly going for that look don't want off the shelf stuff that anyone else can buy.

Other things to consider doing:
You have an 89 so you have the non beefy looking swingarm and the narrower rear wheel. You can swap to a newer swingarm and .5" wider wheel. It's a direct swap. You can spend some extra money and get a YZF600 swingarm and wheel and then you will have a 17" rear with more tire choices available.

R6 rear shock swap. The handling will improve 100 times. I mentioned this on your fb post.
Do YOU Scopper?

"When some people cry, it's not because they’re weak. It’s because they’ve been strong for far too long."
dash
100+ Posts
100+ Posts

Post by dash »

This is a strange observation, but that bike looks perfectly STOCK. Unless your old lady is uneasy re: buying junk, Aren't there plenty of "junkyard-resurrection-esque" candidates? Just a thought. Good luck with your build.
1992 FZR600

"He's a tough, old goat...his name's not Rocky for nothing!"
conscriptboris
Site Newbie

Post by conscriptboris »

Cheers for the reply. On your advice, im going to ditch the single swing arm (it was only for the cool factor!).

Also going to take your advice on the yzf600 swingarm, standby for more Qs on that one!

I went through the haynes manual for tool requirements, so currently awaiting delivery, once they are in ill start posting progress. Hopefully over xmas.

Cheers!

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk
conscriptboris
Site Newbie

Post by conscriptboris »

@ dash: Apologies, didn't see your reply earlier. I live and work in Gibraltar -

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=where+ ... CC8Q8gEwAA

Very small country, I remember one of my parents friends owning the 89 FZR, when I saw one on sale in Gibraltar when I moved here....I had to buy it!

Scrapyards do not really exist here, it all gets crushed very quickly. Also, I never buy stuff that doesn't require a lot of tinkering, I enjoy having unique stuff! This project hopefully is a step into a car re-build.

Elvis
fzrfighter600
Site Newbie

Post by fzrfighter600 »

hi im in the process of building an fzr 600 genesis it has the r6 shock and swingarm its taken a while due to family commitments but its coming together now it has yzf forks and an aprilia rsv tailpiece will put pics when I get it sorted. Noob
goosefartfan
50+ Posts
50+ Posts

Post by goosefartfan »

If you paint that thing flat black, I will personally hang you by your balls from the nearest flagpole!!
Your bike is beautiful!!
I've got a 92 that someone in the past painted flat black...I'll gladly trade you body parts! (damn, that sounded strange!)
thatkid
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Post by thatkid »

Guys, this thread is a year old. The pictured bike or member are nowhere to be found.
Do YOU Scopper?

"When some people cry, it's not because they’re weak. It’s because they’ve been strong for far too long."
goosefartfan
50+ Posts
50+ Posts

Post by goosefartfan »

LOL!!!!

:duh:

sometimes I hit the "view active posts" button, and maybe I hit the "unread posts" button??

Return to “Streetfighter'd / Naked / Chopped”