FZR400/600 Streetfighter

For the bad boyz, here a little arena for you to get fightin'!

Moderators: Site Director, FZR Forum Moderators

Dyyryath
Site Newbie

Re: FZR400/600 Streetfighter

Post by Dyyryath »

The tailsection is an Airtech Aero TZ250 piece. In the pictures above, it's mounted to the stock subframe, but it was always a bit more of a rig job than I wanted. I've since built a custom subframe to replace the stock one that is designed specifically to mount that tailsection.

This is it at the racetrack last week for testing prior to paint & powdercoating (it's the same type of tailsection as before, but a new one since I changed the area where it mounts to the tank):

JRK5892
Level 1.5
Level 1.5

Post by JRK5892 »

WOW MAN!!!! that thing is insane!!!
http://www.thepowderpro.com
The Powder Pro
custom powder coating, polishing, paint, bike builds, and more
Genesis
Level 8.0
Level 8.0

Post by Genesis »

very very nice
1990 Yamaha FZR600 Genesis, Daily Driver
My FZR6 Rebuild

1985 GMC 4x4 T-15 X-Cab Sierra
1999 Chevy 4x4 Blazer (wifes car)

"If a man can build it, I can take it apart and sometimes even put it back together and fix it" --Unknown

"'I wish none of this had happened.' 'So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us.....'" J.R.R. Tolkien
Freestyle72
Level 4.0
Level 4.0

Post by Freestyle72 »

Nice subframe... how much would it run to get an aluminum shock mount like yours made up for me?
Target30
Level 7.5
Level 7.5

Post by Target30 »

dammit, now i have to build a custom subframe too...... bonkonhead

nice bike man, alot of great work there.
I did that.

"(12:38:42) sweekster: i work when i want because i'm sweeks"
haunter
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Post by haunter »

damn
rdannar
Site Newbie

Post by rdannar »

nice bike. drooling
Dyyryath
Site Newbie

Post by Dyyryath »

After the first track day with the new subframe back in April, I discovered a couple of minor things that needed to be addressed. The subframe itself was perfect, but I needed to do some work to the rear shock. Traxxion Dynamics in SC did a very nice job of rebuilding the old FZR400 Fox Shock I had on there. He also sold me a used compression damping adjuster for it that he had in stock. I took it back to the racetrack yesterday and it rode flawlessly. The bike really handles like magic on the track.

I also needed to do something to keep my left heel off the chain, so I picked up a used set of FZR400 heel guards on eBay. After quite a bit of work bead blasting and refinishing them, they work great.

The remote bottle for the cooling system needed an overhaul since I wasn't happy with how it was feeding. I dug up a stainless steel water bottle and added some quick disconnect fittings to make it work.

Finally, the chain guide needed a little work, to make sure it wouldn't move around (it was touching the inside of the left frame spar ever so slightly). I also decided to order a bunch of stainless steel nuts & bolts to replace the old zinc plated stuff. They hold up much better to the elements (which was good since my first session or two yesterday were in the rain). I ended up getting them from Fastenal. You can pick that stuff out on their website and if you've got a local store, have them order it for you so you can just pick it up the next day.

After all that, I had the subframe powder coated by Final Touch in Spring Lake, NC. The guy that owns it (Roger Blanchard) does impeccable work and I highly recommend him. He's the one that did the frame, wheels, engine covers and subframe on this bike. He did the bead blasting and powder coating in 6 days for $65. I'm sure he'll take work shipped in from anywhere and he specializes in bike stuff.

Here's the subframe in its current configuration:

Now that I'm satisfied with the subframe, I'm going to make a few more changes to the tail section and then get it painted to match the tank. After that, it's time to go back into the motor. I was having what felt like a fuel delivery problem coming out onto the back straight away and the engine definitely wasn't pulling like it should be. It's probably a combination of factors (low float height, main jets a touch too small and a modified airbox that's too open), but I think I'm going to try to find a set of Keihin 33mm FCRs to put on it rather than spend time working on the stock CVs. Anybody have a set they want to part with?
Fizzinatorr
Level 6.5
Level 6.5

Post by Fizzinatorr »

I think it's even got an FZR 600 frame, engine, and swingarm!

But seriously the bike looks Awesome
8 Bikes so far...more coming too...Image

Finished my 2000 GSXR 750 -> Link here viewtopic.php?f=68&t=3617
Guga
Site Newbie

Post by Guga »

Hi man, the bike is seriously cool and that subframe, speechless lol :P

If you can, please tell me this, what is that bottle for, cuz ive seen a few bikes with it, what are its advantages, what is it connected too, etc :P
Cheers!
blensen
Level 2.5
Level 2.5

Post by blensen »

The bottle is a replacement for the stock coolant reservoir/overflow. The stock one rarely if ever works with a custom tail.
1994 FZR600: Hardly anything left stock
02 R6 Front End
Ducati M900 Seat/Taillight
Honda VFR750 Swingarm/Wheel
No Spacer 660
YZF600 Tank
Renthal Dirt Bars
Too much else...
Guga
Site Newbie

Post by Guga »

Thanks for the quick reply man, that makes sense, mine fits there but looks ugly with the new tail cuz you can see it lol :P

Cheers
Fartblood
Level 4.5
Level 4.5

Post by Fartblood »

Some fantastic design and awesome workmanship on that bike dude.
McFizzer
Level 3.0
Level 3.0

Post by McFizzer »

That is a serious machine right there. Great work. I LOVE the subframe as a lot of people here agree, Pretty sweet to see you did it all without welding which is even nicer :)

BUT i most say, those triple trees...ughhh I WANT THEM!! fully adjustable Im guessing?
1992 FZR 1000
:Under serious re-construction:
Section_59
Site Newbie

Post by Section_59 »

Real nice work :headbang:
1991 Yamaha FZR 1000 Exup Build From the Frame up
>> 1000 Exup Frame
>> Honda Bros 400 Single Sided Swingarm

Return to “Streetfighter'd / Naked / Chopped”