fzr 600 project from over the pond

For the bad boyz, here a little arena for you to get fightin'!

Moderators: Site Director, FZR Forum Moderators

thesnake505
Site Newbie

fzr 600 project from over the pond

Post by thesnake505 »

Hi guys, this is my first post so please be gentle
This project goes back around 6 years ago, I bought a fzr 600 that turned out to be a nail. So I bought a 2nd bike that had been dropped for spares. However when i got the 2nd bike home i realised that it was in really good nick (apart from the obvious cosmetic damage). So after some creative engineering i managed to make the spares bike road legal. I sold the nail and rode the spares bike for around 3 years.
Here is some pictures first off how i bought it

And how i rode it around
Then when I took it off the road i started to strip it to rebuild however life got in the way and the bike stood outside until about 2 months ago when i moved to a house with a garage, since then I have gained interest and started converting the bike to a fighter, due to a bad wrist i cant ride bikes with low bars so a fighter is the perfect answer
So far i have pulled the top end off the engine due to water getting in no 4 cylinder while stood and i have modified the top yoke to take 2” raisers, i bolted the raisers to the yoke and then had them tig welded on as well, here are some pictures of the bike at the moment

Let me know what you think
snake
1989 fzr600 streetfighter project
Gizzard1533
Level 2.0
Level 2.0

Re: fzr 600 project from over the pond

Post by Gizzard1533 »

Just a question for safety. Did you reinforce the top yolk after you drilled through?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
JasonRDfan
Level 2.0
Level 2.0

Post by JasonRDfan »

Very cool, are you going to drop the triple tree down to the standard position on the fork tubes? I would to preserve the geometry and handling. Sweet though, I want to see it when it's complete. Keep us updated while you are working on it.
92 fzr600 Vance & Hines edition, galindo f1 grips, Vance & Hines super sport complete exhaust, oem clutch with Vance & Hines springs, Piaa horn, Hella headlight, Vance & Hines power pak, passenger seat cowl, 07 r6 regulator, ballistic evo2 8 cell, JT 14 tooth sprocket, Joe Florida sportbike multi-color led kit, galindo bar ends,
JasonRDfan
Level 2.0
Level 2.0

Post by JasonRDfan »

Gizzard1533 wrote:Just a question for safety. Did you reinforce the top yolk after you drilled through?

It looks like with the welding he did in the pictures he might of actually stregthend it.
92 fzr600 Vance & Hines edition, galindo f1 grips, Vance & Hines super sport complete exhaust, oem clutch with Vance & Hines springs, Piaa horn, Hella headlight, Vance & Hines power pak, passenger seat cowl, 07 r6 regulator, ballistic evo2 8 cell, JT 14 tooth sprocket, Joe Florida sportbike multi-color led kit, galindo bar ends,
thesnake505
Site Newbie

Post by thesnake505 »

Gizzard1533 wrote:Just a question for safety. Did you reinforce the top yolk after you drilled through?

hi, the raisers have also been welded on to the top yoke, im confident this will add the extra strength! The yoke had only two holes one for each raiser, these are situatied in the center of each raiser so in the center of the yoke, im confident that its will be mor then strong enough! Plus the two bolts were loctited in for that extra step!!

I will be lowering the yokes down the forks a bit! Not sure how much thou! That will be adjusted when the bike is built so i can toy with the handeling! Been chopping up the dash today, im experamenting with speedo positions! pics soon :)
thesnake505
Site Newbie

Post by thesnake505 »

Small update,

Basically I chopped up the stock dash (it was cracked and was missing one mounting ear), made a useable standalone Speedo with what was left,
I then marked out and cut a hole in the tank cover, used hot glue to secure in place, then fibre glass filler on the inside and car bumper filler on the outside, obviously I have some sanding and re filling to do, but I’m happy with the result :-) let me know what you think

snake
Gizzard1533
Level 2.0
Level 2.0

Post by Gizzard1533 »

Asthetically pleasing, my only concern is you'd have to take your eyes fully off the road to check your speed. And wont the underside interfere with the airbox?

thesnake505
Site Newbie

Post by thesnake505 »

Big update today, been busy this week end, shortened the pivet tube on the thundercat swinger (with a hacksaw), there is a differnece of 20mm in total between a thundercat swinger and a fzr600 swinger

first side done,

then i had to clead up the oem welds and modify the dust caps so they will fit on, also the internal diameter of the pivet tube needed grinding out cause the bearings now longer sat flush! however after alot of pissing about knocking in and out old bearings etc... the thundercat swinger is now in place, bolted up to my stock shock and linkage

just need to find a rear wheel axle and adjusters, also i need to sort some clearance issues out by, modifying the rear set brackets and change to a rear master cylinder with a built in switch!

also i started to make this
, needs some more attention for the cabaling and the speedo drive, then some more polishing and paint :-)

snake

Return to “Streetfighter'd / Naked / Chopped”