Need quick-fix idea for instrument cluster mount

For the bad boyz, here a little arena for you to get fightin'!

Moderators: Site Director, FZR Forum Moderators

gunsnsails
Site Newbie

Need quick-fix idea for instrument cluster mount

Post by gunsnsails »

Hey all! New transplant here. Hadn't been on FZRArchives in a very long time. Just found this site yesterday.

I have a 1999 FZR600 that I turned into sort of a streetfighter a few years back. I tore it completely apart and cut everything off the frame that I didn't want such as fairing mounts and such. For the time being I have no instrument cluster and a bullshit Acerbis headlight that had been passing inspection in Virginia. The headlight simply mounts to the forks with the rubber mounting attachments so it's really not stable. But it has been working.

I recently moved to Maryland and am now going through the asspain of registration. This bike will NOT pass inspection in it's current condition and I could use some help.

I am ordering an instrument cluster from ebay complete with speedo cable. The inspection requires an odometer reading and so does MD DMV. Obviously it will not be accurate but I really don't care. As long as there is a reading that's all that should matter. However, without the front fairing stay I have to be creative in fabbing a mount to attach said instrument cluster. I'm afraid the bulk of the instrument cluster is then going to interfere with my headlight assembly. So I guess anything that gets fabbed up would have to mount a little higher than stock and then require a few pigtails for all the wiring. Or pigtails on the headlight wiring if I were to mount that a little lower. Keep in mind, this is all temporary fixes until I purchase a decent headlight and computer for speedo purposes.

Any fabricators out there care to give me some ideas before I run off to my local body shop and pay insane cash for this? My garage is a mess since I just moved in and have to clear it all out for paint, deck coat and shelf build so I can have a functioning garage to start work in so I'm kinda desperate at the moment.
gunsnsails
Site Newbie

Re: Need quick-fix idea for instrument cluster mount

Post by gunsnsails »

Also, now that I think about it...I need the speedo transmitter that the speed is read off of. And a couple of pics to refresh my memory on how to put it all together once I have all these parts.

Obi Won...you're my only hope!!!

Return to “Streetfighter'd / Naked / Chopped”