Custom Headlight Evolution (Loads of Pictures!)

This area is owned and operated by ThatKid (Nate)

Moderators: Site Director, FZR Forum Moderators

thatkid
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Custom Headlight Evolution (Loads of Pictures!)

Post by thatkid »

So I believe that a headlight sets your build. It can make or break all your hard work. If you are building something unique no off the shelf headlight is going to cut it. Headlights have always been my kryptonite.

It took a very long time for this one to take shape.

The design came one day while I was messing around in the shop. I was looking at some remnant pieces of aluminum I had lying about and something finally clicked. The Hella projector that I had purchased for an airtech kit was laying on the shop table next to the aluminum.

First I needed something that would hide the ugliness of the projector housing.

Then I started to play.

Things were looking alright as far as fit went for some random bits laying about.

Why not add a halo?

Then work picked up and the headlight idea sat for a month or so. When I got some free time I turned down the aluminum a bit and polished it up a bit.

With the polished surface the halo reflects pretty slick like in the dark.

And again I stopped due to work. I also wasn't sure what I was going to make the front out of. Plastic or acrylic would have been the easy choice and I did have some lying around. However, I couldn't start half-assing it now. Welcome to one hellish time. First I used an angle grinder with a cutting disc to cut out a squarish area. Then I clamped that to the rotary table and milled away.

I have just enough overhand to turn it smooth on the lathe and still line up with the main body.

More stacking to see how it will look.

And now the precision work begins. I need very tight tolerances in order for everything to be a nice press fit. It will be secured somehow, but I'm not sure just yet on how that will be.
Cleaning up the front and sides. I cut the groove for it to slide into the main body.

The first bit of the circle. Not even an 1/8" deep yet.

And my tolerances are agreeable. Front surround holds on.

Got the hole all the way through except for a small lip on the back to use as a stop.

Next up was to get a groove for the halo so it would be recessed.

Done and done!

Everything back together for a test fit.

And well, why now power it up?

Next on the agenda is adding the turn indicators somewhere. I was thinking on the face and possibly on the mounts for the whole assembly, but that's for another day.

:cheers:
Do YOU Scopper?

"When some people cry, it's not because they’re weak. It’s because they’ve been strong for far too long."
yamaha_george
5000+ Posts
5000+ Posts

Re: Custom Headlight Evolution (Loads of Pictures!)

Post by yamaha_george »

Nate,
well done you have excelled yourself on this one.
Congrats
cowboi
Level 2.0
Level 2.0

Post by cowboi »

Nate, im on my knees bowing to the master of custom creation ! thats the coolest headlight ive ever seen !! :headbang: :headbang:
When all other contingencies fail, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth......S.Holmes

78 CB750A
96 FZR600R
00 YZF R1
04 YZF R6
sweekster
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Post by sweekster »

I dig it.

:cheers: :shocker
Duane...
Bike:
1994 Yamaha FZR 1000 EXUP
Factory Pro Stage 1 Jetting | K&N Filter | Corbin Seat | ProTek Keyless Gas Cap | GSXR Mirrors
My Thread
Cage:
2005 Saab 9-7x 5.3i Arc AWD

THE WIKI IS YOUR FRIEND
THE SEARCH IS YOUR SIGNIFICANT OTHER
USE THEM!!
zero9243
Level 8.5
Level 8.5

Post by zero9243 »

Love it. Makes me sad I have fairings or id pay you to make me one!
Upgrades:
  • Barnett Clutch------------------------------------------R6 Blue Dots, Front Master Brake Cylinder+Reservoir
    WP Adjustable Rear Shock----------------------------Vortex 520 Conversion with RK GB520GXW Chain
    V&H Header (4-1)--------------------------------------Swingarm Spool Mounts
    Cobra F1r Exhaust Can--------------------------------R6 Voltage Regulator
    Flo-Commander with Remote-------------------------Custom Airtech Passenger Seat
    Stage 7 Jet kit with Diffuser Caps--------------------Factory Pro Nickel Emulsion Tubes
    Wiseco 630 Kit------------------------------------------Custom Frame Slider Mounts
    Modking Hydraulic Clutch Kit--------------------------Hella Projection Headlight with Xentec HID Kit (H9 Bulb)
    Modking Aluminum Radiator Overflow Bottle--------

ragedigital
4000+ Posts
4000+ Posts

Post by ragedigital »

The best part of all this is seeing your talent keep growing year after year, Nate. Seeing your skill keep up with your imagination is really something cool. Well done, my friend!
Thanks for joining and participating in the most "active" FZR Community on the internet!
thatkid
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Post by thatkid »

ragedigital wrote:The best part of all this is seeing your talent keep growing year after year, Nate. Seeing your skill keep up with your imagination is really something cool. Well done, my friend!

Thanks Darrin. I'm definitely getting better but I think I'm still doing some things wrong. Heh. Some of these things take way too long to make and I know there has to be a faster way. I need to find me some classes I can afford or some old timers that will teach me.
Do YOU Scopper?

"When some people cry, it's not because they’re weak. It’s because they’ve been strong for far too long."
DaganFZR600
Site Newbie

Post by DaganFZR600 »

I want one!! :notworthy:
thatkid
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Post by thatkid »

I just need to figure out what color I want to make the pexi ring that will cover the halo. I had blue in the shop so I went with it. I added a channel to the front bezel that I like quite well and I angled the sides. Definitely happy.

I'm not 100% flush on the sides, but I'm ok with it. Pretty damn close with a lathe that is 75 years old.

Here is the HID in the projector. Lights in the shop were off. A nice "low" beam. :)

Thoughts?

And then I had to take time out to play with the new toys. They're no Miller, but for where I'm at and how much I paid they will work great.
Do YOU Scopper?

zero9243
Level 8.5
Level 8.5

Post by zero9243 »

just gorgeous.
Upgrades:
  • Barnett Clutch------------------------------------------R6 Blue Dots, Front Master Brake Cylinder+Reservoir
    WP Adjustable Rear Shock----------------------------Vortex 520 Conversion with RK GB520GXW Chain
    V&H Header (4-1)--------------------------------------Swingarm Spool Mounts
    Cobra F1r Exhaust Can--------------------------------R6 Voltage Regulator
    Flo-Commander with Remote-------------------------Custom Airtech Passenger Seat
    Stage 7 Jet kit with Diffuser Caps--------------------Factory Pro Nickel Emulsion Tubes
    Wiseco 630 Kit------------------------------------------Custom Frame Slider Mounts
    Modking Hydraulic Clutch Kit--------------------------Hella Projection Headlight with Xentec HID Kit (H9 Bulb)
    Modking Aluminum Radiator Overflow Bottle--------

88FZRMAYHEM
Site Newbie

Post by 88FZRMAYHEM »

so are these light finished?? and is it something u are going to sell??
Camala_Pillion
50+ Posts
50+ Posts

Post by Camala_Pillion »

thatkid wrote: or some old timers that will teach me.
TK ,
I have an "old timer" to spare and he needs a holiday LoL :whistle
delvryboy
Level 5.0
Level 5.0

Post by delvryboy »

Wow! Sweet!
'92 FZR600
Race Tech Springs & Gold Valve Emulators * '06 R6 MC & Calipers * '06 R6 Rear Shock
130 Dynojet Mains/Pods/Flo-Comander * Full Yoshi Exhaust w/ Custom Can
'06 R6 VR * Full OEM Clutch * 14/49 520 Gearing
Seca II Triple w/ Modded Sport Tour Bars * Aztec8 Dual 4" w/ 4100K Halagon lamps * LED Tail/Turn Signals * Vapor Gauges
Lots of Powder
KaspenOne
100+ Posts
100+ Posts

Post by KaspenOne »

wondering where the projects gone so far? everything looks great and would like to get a set . or is this just a teaser?
Sal Co-Owner of SisBro Motowerkz, Santa Maria
Pacific Coast Riderz -Vice President- Santa Maria Chapter
1996 Yamaha Fzr 600
UNI Air Filter, FP 1.0, R6 header danmoto exhaust,
Orbit Chain 530 with JT Sprocket Set -1 front/+2 rear
Racetech Front suspension
Bridgestone BT-014 120/70/17 & 150/60/18
http://www.facebook.com/Salvador.Leal.Jr
http://www.youtube.com/user/KaspenOne
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Pacific-C ... 9453630808 & http://www.facebook.com/pcr805
thatkid
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Post by thatkid »

KaspenOne wrote:wondering where the projects gone so far? everything looks great and would like to get a set . or is this just a teaser?
It has kind of stalled out as work in the shop has been pretty busy. As for selling them...Probably never going to happen. That one took a very long time to get it to where it is. I would have to charge way to much to make it worth it.
Do YOU Scopper?

Return to “Green Machine Customs [Custom Fabrication / Machining / Powdercoating]”