Is that an R6 header mating with a FZR motor?

This area is owned and operated by ThatKid (Nate)

Moderators: Site Director, FZR Forum Moderators

thatkid
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Is that an R6 header mating with a FZR motor?

Post by thatkid »

Why yes, yes it is. I have put to rest the wonder of if the R6 header can be stretched to fit the FZR motor. It does indeed fit. This was a 99-02 header. It was not the easiest thing to stretch. I've added steel rod between each tube so that the person that buys it will not have to stretch it. Tubes 2 and 3 were connected with a small cross tube. The tube had to be cut and welded shut, hence the glob on each side near the oil filter. This header is in pretty good condition. You can see the small marks here and there in the pictures. I will paint it with a hi-temp black if the buyer wants or I will just ship it as is. This is bigger tubing than the FZR header and is also a 4-2-1 design.

As far as future ones, if there is a demand I will buy them off ebay and mod them. The mod itself will be $60 bucks. The rest of the cost is whatever I get the header for and for shipping. So if you get a cheap R6 header, send it on over and I'll mod it and send it back. I'm not sure if other years will fit but I'm willing to try them if someone wants to send me headers. Also I have no idea if this will fit behind fairings. It looks like it comes out a little farther than the stock headers but it does hug under the motor just as well. I don't have fairings so I can't test it.
Do YOU Scopper?

"When some people cry, it's not because they’re weak. It’s because they’ve been strong for far too long."
haunter
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Re: Is that an R6 header mating with a FZR motor?

Post by haunter »

nice

that header is blingy looking I wouldnt paint it!
PIMPMYFZR
1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts

Post by PIMPMYFZR »

is this a full exhuast header or would it be like a stock header ?
2002 R1 9k miles , Hotbodies undertail , Chopped Hindle Hi Mount , Solo Seat cowl,Frame sliders, little yellow yamaha wheel stickers .hehe
94' 600RR SOLD**
hid xenon
airtek solo tail
time for a 1000
R.I.P DaD 2/17/09 Your in my <3 always
megaloxana
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Post by megaloxana »

Nice job and thanks for expiramenting for the fzr community.
'92 FZR 600
Airtech R1 kit \*/ 520 conversion \*/ 14F-47R gearing
K&N pod filters \*/ Stage 3 jet kit \*/ Factory Pro shift kit \*/ Full V&H SS exhaust
Custom '02 R6 undertail \*/ YZF gas tank \*/ Raised via dogbones \*/ custom flush turnsignals
Full R6 brake set-up \*/ SS lines \*/ Progressive fork springs \*/ ZX2 coilpack

ADD YOURSELF TO THE OFFICIAL FZRONLINE GOOGLE EARTH MAP :bunny :banjoman
thatkid
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Post by thatkid »

PIMPMYFZR wrote:is this a full exhuast header or would it be like a stock header ?
It will be in the middle but more towards a full exhaust. The stock header is using 1.265 dia. tube. The R6 uses 1.38 dia. and my full system uses 1.47 dia. So, it's only .09 smaller tube than a full system but still uses a 4-2-1 pipe system vs the stocker that uses a 4-1 collector. The stocker is more like a manifold on a car. All the pipes just run into a giant chamber where it can all circulate for a bit before it makes it out the muffler. The R6 is much more efficient.

When you take the cost of a new system into play this is a great substitute. Decent used aftermarket headers are becoming scarce and V&H are the only ones that still make them new I think. That'll run you 450. So 115 shipped is a pretty good deal in my opinion.
Do YOU Scopper?

"When some people cry, it's not because they’re weak. It’s because they’ve been strong for far too long."
thatkid
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Post by thatkid »

95FZR600 wrote:Sweet! Does it come out at the same point as the stock header? Can you add the can or does a new mid pipe need to be made? Very proffesional looking mod! Good stuff.
Just for you I went and put on the stocker to show the difference. It's nice having a spare motor just hanging around. heh.

Now the R6
Stock underneath
R6 Underneath

Measurements added. They are bigger pictures so you can really examine. You may have to copy image address and open in a new window to see the whole thing.

The stocker is a bit longer than the R6 but a quick trip to autozone would fix the length difference. You can get some straight pipe to fit it for probably 5 bucks.
Do YOU Scopper?

thatkid
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Post by thatkid »

megaloxana wrote:Nice job and thanks for expiramenting for the fzr community.
No problem! Most of the things I make for the FZR I can't even use anymore. I already have a full exhaust so this mod is out. I have R1 forks so my fork braces don't work for me. I did make my dogbones though so those were used. I have a solution to the no spool mount problem that will be freaking slick but I already have spool mounts so I can't use that either. Mainly I just really like to build stuff and if you guys can use it then I'm all for having something I made on someone else's machine. I just think that's cool. :thumbsup:
Do YOU Scopper?

YAM93
1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts

Post by YAM93 »

Sweet is right, wow. Ok, I have a few questions also.
1. What are those bolts on the middle of the pipes for ? Test ports of some kind ?
2. What is the header material ?
3. Does a typical aftermarket slip-on pipe come with the gasket, clamp and bolt ? (all the ones I see say they only have the quick-release springs)
If that is the case where do the springs hook on to ? And, any suggestions for preferred brand / model of slip-on ?
" several meat-eaters lay in vomit, too weak to move..."
thatkid
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Re:

Post by thatkid »

YAM93 wrote:Sweet is right, wow. Ok, I have a few questions also.
1. What are those bolts on the middle of the pipes for ? Test ports of some kind ?
3. Does a typical aftermarket slip-on pipe come with the gasket, clamp and bolt ? (all the ones I see say they only have the quick-release springs)
If that is the case where do the springs hook on to ? And, any suggestions for preferred brand / model of slip-on ?
1) I'm assuming they are for testing of some sort. Since I don't have an R6 I couldn't tell ya. I've had the exhaust for all of 2 days. :)
2) It's steel. Was very nice for welding since I can't weld aluminum. It does feel lighter than the stock header though.
3) I've never bought a slip-on so I can't answer this one. My bike came with one and it has a hose clamp style connection. There is a bracket on the side of the R6 header like the FZR has for mounting near the back. A hole could be drilled and a spring attached there if the midpipe did attach that way. I don't believe there is a gasket for the slip-on. Midpipe should just slip over the header and clamp. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
As for suggestions, I have a Cobra F1 and I really like it. It's short and throaty but not annoyingly loud. People do like the R6 shorty as well and it should bolt right on with this or be pretty damn close. Yoshi makes an awesome slip-on if you are willing to shell out for it. Those would be my suggestions. Others can chime in though.
Do YOU Scopper?

ragedigital
4000+ Posts
4000+ Posts

Post by ragedigital »

On teh stock R6, does the center tube actually allow air between the 2 middle header pipes OR is it just a center brace?
Thanks for joining and participating in the most "active" FZR Community on the internet!
ragedigital
4000+ Posts
4000+ Posts

Post by ragedigital »

I already have a set, but I'm wondering why the center pipe wasn't just ground down out of there... They meant business when they put it in there. On my set, they really wanted to make sure it didn't move.
Thanks for joining and participating in the most "active" FZR Community on the internet!
thatkid
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Post by thatkid »

ragedigital wrote:I already have a set, but I'm wondering why the center pipe wasn't just ground down out of there... They meant business when they put it in there. On my set, they really wanted to make sure it didn't move.
The center tube does allow airflow when it comes from the factory. My mod closes it up. I figure this isn't a big deal since every FZR pipe and aftermarket FZR pipe doesn't have this tube. Perhaps on the R6 it doesn't something, but I don't think there is going to be any issues with the performance.
Do YOU Scopper?

yamaha_george
5000+ Posts
5000+ Posts

Re: Re:

Post by yamaha_george »

thatkid wrote:
YAM93 wrote:Sweet is right, wow. Ok, I have a few questions also.
1) I'm assuming they are for testing of some sort. Since I don't have an R6 I couldn't tell ya. I've had the exhaust for all of 2 days. :)
2) It's steel. Was very nice for welding since I can't weld aluminum. It does feel lighter than the stock header though.
3) I've never bought a slip-on so I can't answer this one. My bike came with one and it has a hose clamp style connection. There is a bracket on the side of the R6 header like the FZR has for mounting near the back. A hole could be drilled and a spring attached there if the midpipe did attach that way. I don't believe there is a gasket for the slip-on. Midpipe should just slip over the header and clamp. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
As for suggestions, I have a Cobra F1 and I really like it. It's short and throaty but not annoyingly loud. People do like the R6 shorty as well and it should bolt right on with this or be pretty damn close. Yoshi makes an awesome slip-on if you are willing to shell out for it. Those would be my suggestions. Others can chime in though.

TK,
I took the liberty of editing your post to save so much scrolling up & down to compare pics of your tricked R6 v stock.

I know this is tedious but could you include a tape measure in the pics so we can see just how far the R6 sticks out as opposed to the stock.

Personally at present the R6 looks to be tidier and stick out the same as the furthest stock pipe. BUT I would hate for someone to buy one of your trick pipes and quarrel that it does not fit in the fairing based on my 60 year old eyes :whistle
thatkid
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Post by thatkid »

Oh! Another thing that Naes just pointed out to me that I had completely forgotten about is that with this mod, it opens the door to almost any aftermarket slip on. That means Akrapovic, Devil, Yosh....you name it. Any can that fits the R6 header would fit your FZR with a lot less modifying. All you would really need is a bracket for mounting. I'd be happy to make a bracket if someone did any of these pipes and gave me some measurements. Dear me I'm excited! :banjoman :bunny :drumroll :yikes:
Do YOU Scopper?

demon_knight69
Level 4.5
Level 4.5

Post by demon_knight69 »

thatkid wrote:I have a solution to the no spool mount problem that will be freaking slick but I already have spool mounts so I can't use that either.

thatkid, so what is this spool mount solution you speak of? i've looked at how you and yamaha george have mounted spools, and i kinda planned on doing that at some point. but if you've got another solution, i would definitely be interested. once i get my transmission fixed and start putting stuff together again, i'll be snagging some dogbones from you as well :thumbsup:
1996 FZR 600
Custom exhaust made from R6 header and GSXR600 end pipe
K&N Pods
Barnett Clutch
Factory Pro shift kit
Needs paint and on her way to being a streetfighter

Return to “Green Machine Customs [Custom Fabrication / Machining / Powdercoating]”