The coating of parts with powder!

This area is owned and operated by ThatKid (Nate)

Moderators: Site Director, FZR Forum Moderators

thatkid
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

The coating of parts with powder!

Post by thatkid »

It's here! Shortly I will be offering powdercoating for reasonable prices. I will only be able to do small parts though. About the biggest part I'd be able to do is a cylinder head. Should be able to do an oil pan as well. As you can tell from my curing oven there isn't a ton of room. Eventually I will upgrade to a full size oven so I can do rims but for right now this all the budget will allow.

The setup:
(Dillon paid for the gun which got this whole thing going. YaY Dillon!)

This one is a little out of focus but you can tell that there are a lot of color options.

This is what it looked like to begin with. I didn't really bother doing a super nice fix on the scrapes since it was my test piece. I'd say for my first attempt at powdercoating it came out pretty damn good. I'll be doing a few more pieces before I offer up services. I want to make sure I have this down before I start charging people for it.

The final product.

Total time to coat the part and cure it was about 30-40 minutes.
Do YOU Scopper?

"When some people cry, it's not because they’re weak. It’s because they’ve been strong for far too long."
scarlett
50+ Posts
50+ Posts

Re: The coating of parts with powder!

Post by scarlett »

sexy sexy tk!
megaloxana
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Post by megaloxana »

First off, where does dillon get all this money from?? haha Hopefully this proves to be a successful venture for you. Will you be offering some type of "warranty"? I've seen powdercoat develop hairline cracks a few weeks after being done(intake manifold). Anyway good luck and thanks for bringing more to the comunity.
'92 FZR 600
Airtech R1 kit \*/ 520 conversion \*/ 14F-47R gearing
K&N pod filters \*/ Stage 3 jet kit \*/ Factory Pro shift kit \*/ Full V&H SS exhaust
Custom '02 R6 undertail \*/ YZF gas tank \*/ Raised via dogbones \*/ custom flush turnsignals
Full R6 brake set-up \*/ SS lines \*/ Progressive fork springs \*/ ZX2 coilpack

ADD YOURSELF TO THE OFFICIAL FZRONLINE GOOGLE EARTH MAP :bunny :banjoman
thatkid
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Post by thatkid »

megaloxana wrote:First off, where does dillon get all this money from?? haha Hopefully this proves to be a successful venture for you. Will you be offering some type of "warranty"? I've seen powdercoat develop hairline cracks a few weeks after being done(intake manifold). Anyway good luck and thanks for bringing more to the comunity.
I've done a scratch test on it and it's holing up pretty well. The issue is part cleanliness. If the part isn't cleaned well and then headed to have everything rise to the surface and then wiped and THEN coated, you can get cracks or a crappy finish. Also exposing it to heat it can't handle. The powder will withstand up to 450° unless you use a hi temp and that will do up to 1200°. My guess is that the cracks were from the wrong temp powder or from improper cleaning. This is why I'm doing some test runs. Triples will look good with a coat on them. Footpegs, rearsets, calipers, passenger pegs, master cylinders, valve covers (assuming there is room), anything else you can think of. Even car parts or household parts. Tell your friends.

And Dillon makes mad cash. I don't know how. I do believe the street corner in milwaukee is pretty popular for turning tricks.
Do YOU Scopper?

"When some people cry, it's not because they’re weak. It’s because they’ve been strong for far too long."
thatkid
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Post by thatkid »

Oh and as anyone who has ever bought something from me knows, I stand behind my products. So as far as a warranty is concerned...So long as the part wasn't abused, I'll take care of it.
Do YOU Scopper?

haunter
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Post by haunter »

oooooh snap it looks nice!
zero9243
Level 8.5
Level 8.5

Post by zero9243 »

I do this thing called a Z job

if you have to ask..... :whistle
Upgrades:
  • Barnett Clutch------------------------------------------R6 Blue Dots, Front Master Brake Cylinder+Reservoir
    WP Adjustable Rear Shock----------------------------Vortex 520 Conversion with RK GB520GXW Chain
    V&H Header (4-1)--------------------------------------Swingarm Spool Mounts
    Cobra F1r Exhaust Can--------------------------------R6 Voltage Regulator
    Flo-Commander with Remote-------------------------Custom Airtech Passenger Seat
    Stage 7 Jet kit with Diffuser Caps--------------------Factory Pro Nickel Emulsion Tubes
    Wiseco 630 Kit------------------------------------------Custom Frame Slider Mounts
    Modking Hydraulic Clutch Kit--------------------------Hella Projection Headlight with Xentec HID Kit (H9 Bulb)
    Modking Aluminum Radiator Overflow Bottle--------

R3TARD
Level 4.5
Level 4.5

Post by R3TARD »

sweet

1992 FZR 600
Yoshi exhaust
K&N pods
Airtech R1-kit
02 R6 fork swap
02 R6 Swingarm
520 chain conversion
07 R6 controls
Vortex R6 clipons
07 R6 radial master

2003 CBR 600rr
bone stock
ragedigital
4000+ Posts
4000+ Posts

Post by ragedigital »

I've always thought about getting that set-up from Eastwood, but I hear its messy. Was the powder flying everywhere?
Thanks for joining and participating in the most "active" FZR Community on the internet!
thatkid
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Post by thatkid »

ragedigital wrote:I've always thought about getting that set-up from Eastwood, but I hear its messy. Was the powder flying everywhere?
Simple as pie. The powder fell maybe a foot around the part and I just swept it up while the part was in the oven. No mess at all. Just keep the air at 5-8 psi and no problems at all.
95FZR600 wrote:I want to see that same part in candy blue. Very nice set up. How easy is it to clean up the gun and such?
The gun is crazy easy to clean. All it takes is that same air compressor and the attachment that just blows airs. Blow the gun off and add the next color. Done.
Do YOU Scopper?

demon_knight69
Level 4.5
Level 4.5

Post by demon_knight69 »

looks great nate! i'm sure a lot of us on here will be getting you to powder coat stuff for us.
1996 FZR 600
Custom exhaust made from R6 header and GSXR600 end pipe
K&N Pods
Barnett Clutch
Factory Pro shift kit
Needs paint and on her way to being a streetfighter
thatkid
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Post by thatkid »

demon_knight69 wrote:looks great nate! i'm sure a lot of us on here will be getting you to powder coat stuff for us.
I sure hope so! :cheers:
Do YOU Scopper?

sweekster
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Post by sweekster »

Looks good Nate. Impressive.
Duane...
Bike:
1994 Yamaha FZR 1000 EXUP
Factory Pro Stage 1 Jetting | K&N Filter | Corbin Seat | ProTek Keyless Gas Cap | GSXR Mirrors
My Thread
Cage:
2005 Saab 9-7x 5.3i Arc AWD

THE WIKI IS YOUR FRIEND
THE SEARCH IS YOUR SIGNIFICANT OTHER
USE THEM!!
Dragon
Level 2.5
Level 2.5

Post by Dragon »

Hmm!!
This is maybe something to invest in. :whistle
But Nate, I think you will get the business. Now get practicing!! LOL2
As for the colors, do you have all those colors available?
That starter cover looks awesome, for your first powder coating job. Can't wait to see more parts. :udaman
You got a price in mind yet, for doing small jobs? Won't hurt to throw out some estimates!!
megaloxana
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Post by megaloxana »

Now you just gotta get an oven big enough for a frame :grinnod:
'92 FZR 600
Airtech R1 kit \*/ 520 conversion \*/ 14F-47R gearing
K&N pod filters \*/ Stage 3 jet kit \*/ Factory Pro shift kit \*/ Full V&H SS exhaust
Custom '02 R6 undertail \*/ YZF gas tank \*/ Raised via dogbones \*/ custom flush turnsignals
Full R6 brake set-up \*/ SS lines \*/ Progressive fork springs \*/ ZX2 coilpack

ADD YOURSELF TO THE OFFICIAL FZRONLINE GOOGLE EARTH MAP :bunny :banjoman

Return to “Green Machine Customs [Custom Fabrication / Machining / Powdercoating]”