Is that an R6 header mating with a FZR motor?

This area is owned and operated by ThatKid (Nate)

Moderators: Site Director, FZR Forum Moderators

zero9243
Level 8.5
Level 8.5

Re: Is that an R6 header mating with a FZR motor?

Post by zero9243 »

YAM93 wrote:I've already scoped out a particular local interstate.

I find myself violating the speed limit by a lot lately, about 75% of the time I ride. It's addicting.
I really need to get back to the MX track before I kill myself, haha.
:duh:
haha nice man. Yah that pipe looks incredibly sexy. I like the work you're doing on the fairings. looks like you're taking your time and making sure it looks good. I like that about a man :whistle :whistle

lol but seriously lookin good. GET A VID UP! :banana:
Upgrades:
  • Barnett Clutch------------------------------------------R6 Blue Dots, Front Master Brake Cylinder+Reservoir
    WP Adjustable Rear Shock----------------------------Vortex 520 Conversion with RK GB520GXW Chain
    V&H Header (4-1)--------------------------------------Swingarm Spool Mounts
    Cobra F1r Exhaust Can--------------------------------R6 Voltage Regulator
    Flo-Commander with Remote-------------------------Custom Airtech Passenger Seat
    Stage 7 Jet kit with Diffuser Caps--------------------Factory Pro Nickel Emulsion Tubes
    Wiseco 630 Kit------------------------------------------Custom Frame Slider Mounts
    Modking Hydraulic Clutch Kit--------------------------Hella Projection Headlight with Xentec HID Kit (H9 Bulb)
    Modking Aluminum Radiator Overflow Bottle--------

YAM93
1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts

Post by YAM93 »

Sounds like the video will be about another 3 weeks, as, the guy I'm borrowing it from's in-laws are coming into town and they just had a baby boy. Anyway, I have one other thing to say today:

Latest update: As the directions called for I finally took some Windex to the pipe and cleaned it up real good. Also the high-temp silicone is fully cured now so they said to let things get up to "operating temp" and check for exhaust leaks. I didn't see, hear or feel any, but I'll keep my eyes / ears open for the next few weeks as I ride more.

"SEAT OF THE PANTS DYNO" -- I took it for a brief test ride in the parking area. My guess is I got another 5 Horsepower from this set-up vs. the V&H SS system. I can only tell by the fact that I usually crank on it in first gear after already moving around 4-5k RPM and it will lift about 2 inches off the ground if I give it a little pull. Now I do the same thing but come up almost 24 inches.

:-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D

Of course having the 14-47 / 520 set-up helps a lot also, but that was already installed last year. So I'd say I'm VERY HAPPY so far. Tomorrow I'm riding it to work so hopefully eveything will stay good.
It sounds pretty good and is still quite loud, but definitely quieter as I can hear a lot more of the transmission and engine noise.

It's also amazing how much faster the Titanium disperses the heat than the steel header, although this makes no difference one way or the other.
Also, I only rode it for 15 minutes but the rear turn signal does not seem to be affected, didn't melt or even get warm.
" several meat-eaters lay in vomit, too weak to move..."
ragedigital
4000+ Posts
4000+ Posts

Post by ragedigital »

YAM93 wrote: My guess is I got another 5 Horsepower from this set-up vs. the V&H SS system.
You're ready for the Honda Civic forums where they get 12 HP just from changing rims.
Thanks for joining and participating in the most "active" FZR Community on the internet!
demon_knight69
Level 4.5
Level 4.5

Post by demon_knight69 »

ragedigital wrote:
YAM93 wrote: My guess is I got another 5 Horsepower from this set-up vs. the V&H SS system.
You're ready for the Honda Civic forums where they get 12 HP just from changing rims.
LOL2 and an extra 5hp per sticker.
1996 FZR 600
Custom exhaust made from R6 header and GSXR600 end pipe
K&N Pods
Barnett Clutch
Factory Pro shift kit
Needs paint and on her way to being a streetfighter
thatkid
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Post by thatkid »

ragedigital wrote:
Hey less rotating mass can equal more hp.... :whistle

Yam, I'm just glad you are happy with the headers. I like satisfied customers! Plus now you can sell off that V&H once you clean it up a bit. Probably get more than what you paid for the header.
Do YOU Scopper?

"When some people cry, it's not because they’re weak. It’s because they’ve been strong for far too long."
YAM93
1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts

Post by YAM93 »

No, the clamp came with the FMF pipe.

Guys, come on now, you know I hate Civics. And, for those who don't believe me, come on down and we can switch the systems back and forth. I swear on both my grandparent's graves it's at LEAST another 5 horsepower, seriously. Don't be jealous now.

I promise I won't use the extra horsepower for evil.

bonkonhead

I will say that it has definitely enhanced most of that horsepower in the midrange and the high-end though. From what I can tell so far. Haven't taken it over 100 mph yet though.
:banana:

Keep in mind that it's NOT JUST the pipe, but also this R6 header being DEFINITELY better than the V&H 4 into 1 type.
Really can't be any other explanation, I didn't lose weight or use any different gasoline.
RoadDogma
Level 1.5
Level 1.5

Post by RoadDogma »

[/quote]
Not sure what you mean by the runner diameters... The actual tube? Stock FZR is 32mm for the tube and the R6 is 35mm. The outlet for the R6 is 44.5mm outside diam and 41.23mm inside or 1.75" and 1.62" respectively.[/quote]

Is that R6 = 35mm Inner diameter or outer diameter?
FZR400 (1WG): Purchased a perfectly good FZR400 with Yoshimura slip-on/EXUP, Yosh jet kit, Factory ignition advance, Racetech springs and emulators. It even had great bodywork. Like some diseased maniac I had to mess with everything good about that bike. Well, at least I have better brakes now.

FZR400RR (3TJ):Yeah, it's pink.
thatkid
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Post by thatkid »

RoadDogma wrote:
Not sure what you mean by the runner diameters... The actual tube? Stock FZR is 32mm for the tube and the R6 is 35mm. The outlet for the R6 is 44.5mm outside diam and 41.23mm inside or 1.75" and 1.62" respectively.[/quote]

Is that R6 = 35mm Inner diameter or outer diameter?[/quote]

That is the outside diameter of the pipe.

I just made my first post from my new iPod touch. That's pretty damn cool I think.
Do YOU Scopper?

"When some people cry, it's not because they’re weak. It’s because they’ve been strong for far too long."
AraiPnai
Level 2.0
Level 2.0

Post by AraiPnai »

YAM93 wrote: Guys, come on now, you know I hate Civics. And, for those who don't believe me, come on down and we can switch the systems back and forth. I swear on both my grandparent's graves it's at LEAST another 5 horsepower, seriously. Don't be jealous now.
dam.. i have a civic.. :( but i feel you! i hate em too, that's why i got an fzr.. hahaha.. i'm interested in this mod though.. o.O
SSDD
Don't complain to me unless you can offer a solution too.

Whenever things go to sh*ts and don't go the way you'd like, I blame it on the fact that "the world is ending."

Sept '03 - June '04 : '89 FZR 400
April '08 - Present : '97 FZR 600
ImageImage

http://maked-up.webs.com/ http://www.thenutshack.net http://motorcyclemadness650.com/
YAM93
1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts

Post by YAM93 »

Ok, tonight I got the fairing closure piece from ThatKid. Very nice, especially considering i gave him a pencil sketch on a scrap of cardboard.

I'll get some Lockhart Philips metal fairing screws/rubber nuts tomorrow and it will be attached nice and solid. Right now I have the original fairing grommet and a plastic Honda windscreen screw in there and another plastic screw just temporary. Even this withstood some pretty good wheelies tonight.

Now, if my power supply for my computer will come in, maybe there's a chance of posting a video within the next week, even though I still doubt my DVD RW will read the guy's disc. I think he burned it in the wrong format. Anyway, I'm going to order a firewire cable tonight so hopefully can re-borrow his camera next week and use my Nero video plug-in which should work once my computer is working. Yeesh, such a set of dominoes.

Now to talk about (due to new dogbones) the possibility of a custom aluminum bolt-on kickstand extender. Because she leans a bit too far now.

Just in case you were wondering, I have to give 1000 kudos to ThatKid here, if I didn't know any better, I'd think this little plastic piece came directly from the factory at Yamaha. VERY NICE.

:udaman

ragedigital
4000+ Posts
4000+ Posts

Post by ragedigital »

For $50, I'll drop off my R6 header at Nate's house, then he can do the work and send it out for what ever he charges. I've already ground down the old weld and it's ready to be welded up.
YAM93
1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts

Post by YAM93 »

that sounds like a damn good deal for 5 hours driving each way.

ragedigital
4000+ Posts
4000+ Posts

Post by ragedigital »

Well, I need to get to Chicago sometime in the coming weeks and I'll just throw it out my window as I pass by Nate's house.
Thanks for joining and participating in the most "active" FZR Community on the internet!
thatkid
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Post by thatkid »

ragedigital wrote:Well, I need to get to Chicago sometime in the coming weeks and I'll just throw it out my window as I pass by Nate's house.

Let me know and I'll be there with a mattress! We don't want to dent it now do we? :rofl:
Do YOU Scopper?

YAM93
1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts

Post by YAM93 »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4iPjgTz1TtI

Finally after a month of waiting, here's the video. Sounds even better in person... YouTube kind of kills the quality of the video.

I try to shamelessly plug FZROnline.com as much as possible.

Last edited by YAM93 on Sat Sep 13, 2008 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Green Machine Customs [Custom Fabrication / Machining / Powdercoating]”