Is that an R6 header mating with a FZR motor?

This area is owned and operated by ThatKid (Nate)

Moderators: Site Director, FZR Forum Moderators

YAM93
1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts

Re: Is that an R6 header mating with a FZR motor?

Post by YAM93 »

Ok well here we go gents...

First, TK's exhaust header, as received, excellent condition, and supplies I got to install it...

ImageImage
Image[img]
" several meat-eaters lay in vomit, too weak to move..."
YAM93
1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts

Post by YAM93 »

Now...

FMF PowerCore S "Oval to Round" Blue Titanium (looks purple in incandescent light, faded to gold hue) (in certain light looks more blue) (should eventually turn medium blue and fade to purple) (mid-pipe is "extruded CNC titanium, TIG welded) (came with obvious springs and other hardware to mount, etc)

(middle picture is "looking down the barrel" ... shows the "Square PowerCore", supposed to give unique sound, smoother power curve and better sound disbursement, whatever that means, hopefully will be quieter than my super-loud V&H SS system with no packing. It's driving me nuts.

( I put ALL these in my Gallery Album under a sub-album called R6 Exhaust Header) (sorry, some were with flash, some without)
(finally after uploading them and deleting them 3 times got it to work, resizing and setting 640x640 max limits and checking the two bottom resize boxes on the album settings page helps) :deal:

ImageImageImageImageImage
Last edited by YAM93 on Sat Jul 12, 2008 1:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
thatkid
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Post by thatkid »

Oh man is that thing sexy! Get it on the bike. Hurry up!!!
Do YOU Scopper?

"When some people cry, it's not because they’re weak. It’s because they’ve been strong for far too long."
YAM93
1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts

Post by YAM93 »

I did a dry-fit today. Things are looking pretty good actually. I can keep my passenger peg. I'm making a little extension bracket from a bar of aluminum I got at Home Depot, I may or may not paint it black later. It will have 3 holes, one for the existing support mount, one for another hole near the passenger peg (existing also) for a smaller bolt and nut, and the new mount point for the pipe carrier. I could do it using the existing hole (see pictures) but it puts the support clamp so far back that the far end of the pipe sways too much, not very stable, plus a little goofy looking.

I let the engine run about 20 seconds. It sounds so sweet. Deep growl like a Muzzy on a V-twin almost. No more raspy screaming. It's not fully bolted on / sealed up yet. I still want to high temp clear the header. Still waiting on the gaskets, the old ones are shot. Mid-pipe got super hot, super fast, so I'm considering getting a little aluminum shield from Dennis Kirk so I don't melt the bottom of my new Sidi's.
:rofl:

I had to cut some of the fairings today. I got a new DREMEL tool. This thing is really neat, gotta be very careful though, it was spitting out hot heat shield and fiberglass. Didn't burn arm but it felt pretty fricken hot.
I guess I'll need to order or get some heat shield so inner edge of fairings don't melt. My wife was pissed (Jesus H., when isn't' she?) because of the cost of the Dremel tool I got from Home Depot, and the extra cutting discs, and the extra bolts, washers and nuts. I think I figured out how to mount the FMF pipe and not have it rattle around or look stupid. It gets really close to the turn signal as you'll see. I think it will be ok though. I got an infrared temp clicker (measuring device) so I can check it as things come together. Don't want it sending melted plastic down my new pipe.
:puke: :| :shock: :lol: :evil:

I was going to ride MX tomorrow but I think I'll stay here instead and work on that mounting bracket and do another dry fit, and go ahead and wash and spray the header. Hopefully spend time with the wife, maybe go to the pool. If I don't, I'll never get it done. Oh, obviously it bolted up and seems to fit perfect. I didn't connect the middle pipes yet, but all looks pretty good. The clearances, even on the little rear brake tension spring, are pretty tight, about 1/16" there, 1/8" at most other bolts in that area. It clears the oil filter and bottom of engine great though; probably not alot different than it was before.

ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Last edited by YAM93 on Sun Jul 13, 2008 12:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
YAM93
1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts

Post by YAM93 »

I need a bigger garage, closer to home. Keep on dreamin'

ImageImageImageImageImage
YAM93
1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts

Post by YAM93 »

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

CUT BOTH SIDE FAIRINGS ABOUT THE SAME AMOUNT... New DREMEL tool purchased at Home Depot today !
:banana:
ImageImageImage
thatkid
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Post by thatkid »

Umm I'd just like to say that the can looks freaking sweet with the bikes paint. It matches awesome! It looks like it will mount up pretty easily too. Keep the updates coming.
Do YOU Scopper?

"When some people cry, it's not because they’re weak. It’s because they’ve been strong for far too long."
zero9243
Level 8.5
Level 8.5

Post by zero9243 »

Can you teach me how to shoot sweet red flames out of my exhaust too!?

lol congrats man that looks amazing
Upgrades:
  • Barnett Clutch------------------------------------------R6 Blue Dots, Front Master Brake Cylinder+Reservoir
    WP Adjustable Rear Shock----------------------------Vortex 520 Conversion with RK GB520GXW Chain
    V&H Header (4-1)--------------------------------------Swingarm Spool Mounts
    Cobra F1r Exhaust Can--------------------------------R6 Voltage Regulator
    Flo-Commander with Remote-------------------------Custom Airtech Passenger Seat
    Stage 7 Jet kit with Diffuser Caps--------------------Factory Pro Nickel Emulsion Tubes
    Wiseco 630 Kit------------------------------------------Custom Frame Slider Mounts
    Modking Hydraulic Clutch Kit--------------------------Hella Projection Headlight with Xentec HID Kit (H9 Bulb)
    Modking Aluminum Radiator Overflow Bottle--------

YAM93
1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts

Post by YAM93 »

Yeah, actually it's a bit more purple than I thought it would be, but according to guy who has had one a while, it will turn more blue the longer you ride it.
<insert dirty joke here>
:rofl: :grinnod:

Ha Ha ! Yeah, I figured have some fun with a few of the pictures... to entertain you guys. I gotta think if red flames and smoke are shooting out of your exhaust pipe.... it might be time to:

1. Check into that manufacturer's warranty -- if it even has one !!
2. Wonder what fuel is in the tank
3. Assume the rest of the bike will be bursting into flames really soon
4. Run
5. Have your blood checked for any wierd drugs you may have ingested
:thumbsup: ... WOOT
Here's some fun with that new Milwaukee drill, and some DeWalt sharp titanium drill bits I got last year. Eats thru aluminum really easy. I had to make another trip to Home Despot to get a longer bolt... also made an extra spacer ( I may or may not need ) with extra plastic parts I just had laying around in a tool box, using the Dremel. That little tool is pretty fun, but I have to remember to not be lazy and wear my gloves. More to come tonight hopefully if it stops raining. No riding at all this weekend.

(I really need to move out of this friggen state and build a house on some land, have my own garage, the wife is getting really agaitated and whiny with me using her kitchen as a parts and tool depot)
:Kick

I got some big washers that I'm hoping to Dremel into shape to be able to pad-out the right rear turn signal so it doesn't get so close to the pipe. It's sagging down a bit more than I'd like anyway, worse case might need new turn signals. Any ideas are welcome. Thanks guys. ( I want to keep anything else as cheap as possible, as, the jar of money is running dry and I still want to get that FZR t-shirt.
YAM93
1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts

Post by YAM93 »

Some fun with the Dremel tool again, making some sparks last night. Took off a little early today cuz our server took a shit, right after my computer took a dump. Went and did another test fit, some plastic still hitting exhaust header, so here it is ---
I think I'm just going to leave the aluminum mounting bracket as is, no real need to paint it black, it only shows at the round end really anyway.

Yeah, that's my shoe, the brick patio is the poor man's work bench. I swear living in a townhouse sucks big donkey balls.
Oh, by the way, some advice on Dremel tools and trimming the fairings, even WITH safety goggles, figure on getting a little in your eye, just wash it out with warm water. The aluminum / metal shavings are another thing, try to keep away from that, but I swear that thing does fling out some very tiny particles, pretty sure I got some in my eyes, even trying to aim it away.
YAM93
1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts

Post by YAM93 »

Thought you guys would appreciate this. Hopefully someone can use it in the near future.
It's not exact, but gives a pretty good idea of what you're trying to achieve.

I meant to put this note in the drawing, but I think I'm going to be coating those bolts where they connect with the nuts with BLUE LOCTITE 242 for extra staying power.

The image just before this in my Gallery is a PDF file that you can download and zoom into easier, plus it's in 8.5x11 format even though the drawing is Not To Scale. The only important dimension is 5" +/- length and it's a normal 1" wide stock aluminum bar you can get at any Home Depot.
YAM93
1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts

Post by YAM93 »

Unbelievable. I hit the wrong button and just lost the entire description. Damn, what an idiot, haha. :cop:

Oh well, I think you guys can figure out what I did. If not, I put captions on most of the pictures in my Gallery.

The part that will not close at the bottom of the fairings ... TK will be fabricating a closure piece out of plastic that will fit just right .... Then I'll spray paint it black and fasten in place.

Otherwise, except for a little more trimming and small amount of bending, things went together pretty good. The clearances are damn tight though, but only around the FMF pipe. The modified R6 header works great. I am borrowing a video camera from a guy at work this weekend so will post a video WITH SOUND by Monday. Enjoy.

Last edited by YAM93 on Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
YAM93
1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts

Post by YAM93 »

Here are the rest. And YES, that is my old bent ProTaper handlebars from the YZ250F in the first picture (post above) screwed and wedged into the fence supporting the header. I knew I could use them for something eventually. I still have to take the screws out of the fence. screwy

Yes, I'll be sanding down those rough internal edges later... in like.... OCTOBER. Must ride the rest of the summer.
:banana: Agreed
thatkid
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Post by thatkid »

Man I like that pipe. It just looks so nice. I can't wait to hear this thing. Then we'll need the official "I feel it's faster" data collected when you get back on it. :headbang:
Do YOU Scopper?

YAM93
1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts

Post by YAM93 »

I've already scoped out a particular local interstate.

I find myself violating the speed limit by a lot lately, about 75% of the time I ride. It's addicting.
I really need to get back to the MX track before I kill myself, haha.
:duh:

Return to “Green Machine Customs [Custom Fabrication / Machining / Powdercoating]”