The coating of parts with powder!

This area is owned and operated by ThatKid (Nate)

Moderators: Site Director, FZR Forum Moderators

megaloxana
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Re: The coating of parts with powder!

Post by megaloxana »

What company did you go with for the powder? BTW do you have a sand blaster?
'92 FZR 600
Airtech R1 kit \*/ 520 conversion \*/ 14F-47R gearing
K&N pod filters \*/ Stage 3 jet kit \*/ Factory Pro shift kit \*/ Full V&H SS exhaust
Custom '02 R6 undertail \*/ YZF gas tank \*/ Raised via dogbones \*/ custom flush turnsignals
Full R6 brake set-up \*/ SS lines \*/ Progressive fork springs \*/ ZX2 coilpack

ADD YOURSELF TO THE OFFICIAL FZRONLINE GOOGLE EARTH MAP :bunny :banjoman
thatkid
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Post by thatkid »

megaloxana wrote:What company did you go with for the powder? BTW do you have a sand blaster?
There are a bunch of companies in the lot I got.

Tiger Drylac, Cardinal, Dupont, Rohm-Haas, Prismatic, Spraylat, Ferro, Herbert O'Briens, and TCI

All supposed to be high end. I hope so. But even if they aren't I'm sure I'll still get nice results. I mean the black I'm using right now for test pieces I picked up at harbor freight. It's coming out nice and pretty durable.

As for a sand blaster I have access to one but no blasting cabinet. It is putting a damper on some of my parts as using the wire wheel for everything takes some time. I blast outside in the summer. Just set up a tarp and let the dust blow away. At 0° I'm kinda out of luck.
Do YOU Scopper?

"When some people cry, it's not because they’re weak. It’s because they’ve been strong for far too long."
match417
Level 8.0
Level 8.0

Post by match417 »

so are all of those colors you mentioned just the regular colors? I was thinking about going with blue for the 3sgte valve cover. I don't want it to be a darker blue, i want just a regular or slightly brighter blue. That way the blue valve cover will match my silicone couplers on the intercooler piping!
check out my car and bike projects on http://youtube.com/match417
thatkid
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Post by thatkid »

match417 wrote:so are all of those colors you mentioned just the regular colors? I was thinking about going with blue for the 3sgte valve cover. I don't want it to be a darker blue, i want just a regular or slightly brighter blue. That way the blue valve cover will match my silicone couplers on the intercooler piping!
Get me sample pictures of what you wan the cover to match. Also give me measurements of the cover so I can make sure it fits in the oven

I can always get more powders. I'm buy them as funds become available.
Do YOU Scopper?

"When some people cry, it's not because they’re weak. It’s because they’ve been strong for far too long."
yamaha_george
5000+ Posts
5000+ Posts

Post by yamaha_george »

thatkid wrote:Alright. I cracked. I broke down and bought 50lbs of powder!! I will shortly have the following colors: Blue, Red, Green, Yellow, White, Black, Grey, Orange, Brown, and Silver. I've inquired about metallic chrome and clear coat as well for that order. The deal was just too good to pass up.

So now people just have to get shipping me parts!

Here's round two on a test piece. Hmmm why does that yamaha look shiney?? Oh because I filled it with something. It's still hot so you can't tell what it is just yet.
[This is what it looks like after it cools (note-the black areas are still cooling). I have 18 colors available for that action. I don't have it down pat yet but I'll get it.
[
Soooo..uhh...what do you guys think?? :ermm:

TK, That is very good start, I just remembered this :-

http://saltmine.org.uk/kgb/powder.html

may be of some use to you in your quest for knowledge :-}
the_finch
Level 8.5
Level 8.5

Post by the_finch »

Looks awesome, Nate. I have a set of WoodCraft Rearsets and GP shift knuckle (reverse pattern) I'll probably get you to powercoat for me pretty soon here.
1997 FZR600RJ

Engine: K&N Drop-in air filter - stock airbox - FP 5°ignition advancer - EBC "Street Racer" Kevlar clutch
Exhaust: Stock header - Yoshimura RS-3 Carbon fiber slip-on
Body: Original paint/graphics - Clear Alternatives integrated LED Taillight - Flanders' flush front signals - YZF600 Mirrors - Comp. Werkes Stainless fender eliminator/tag bracket - 60w/55w H4 headlights
Tires: Metzler MEZ4B 120/70 ZR17 Front - Michelin Madacam 100x 150/70 ZR18 Rear
Brakes:Stock rotors with EBC HH Sinstered pads
In the works: YZF600 header, '97 Bandit 600 rear wheel, DynoJet Stage 3, Racetech Springs and Emulators fork rebuild, FZ1 rear shock, YZF600 front MC, Galfer SS Lines, CFM rearsets
dreman
50+ Posts
50+ Posts

Post by dreman »

damn!!!! why must you be so far away???? :swear
yamaha_george
5000+ Posts
5000+ Posts

Post by yamaha_george »

dreman wrote:damn!!!! why must you be so far away???? :swear
Dreman,
the guy who wrote the article I gave the URL for is in Oz so you are not too far from help (well relatively Oz size speaking ) :whistle
megaloxana
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Post by megaloxana »

Nate, maybe you should post up measurments of the area in which you can put parts into your oven.
'92 FZR 600
K&N pod filters \*/ Stage 3 jet kit \*/ Factory Pro shift kit \*/ Full V&H SS exhaust
Custom '02 R6 undertail \*/ YZF gas tank \*/ Raised via dogbones \*/ custom flush turnsignals

cad600
1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts

Post by cad600 »

Be careful with clear. I've heard that it is very temperamental and that with the same part, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.
Yes, that is a Single Sided Swingarm FZR600 that I built.

Something is lurking, waiting, wanting to be built......It calls to me from the darkness....

I can finally see the light at the end of the tunnel....Then I realize that it is the train coming to run my ass over....
thatkid
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Post by thatkid »

megaloxana wrote:Nate, maybe you should post up measurments of the area in which you can put parts into your oven.
Just thinking that today. Was wondering if a part would fit and then though, hmm should probably post what will fit.
cad600 wrote:Be careful with clear. I've heard that it is very temperamental and that with the same part, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.
That's why I have lots of powder. I'm going to experiment. I've been reading that the less glossy clears are easier to work with so I may go with those first.
Do YOU Scopper?

thatkid
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Post by thatkid »

95FZR600 wrote:Did you order any of the candy blue? Let me know when you get some in and I can send you a couple things to try it on.
Working with a guy right now. buying close 60 lbs from him. I'll see if he has candy blue in stock and he can add it to the order.

I just scored a free sandblaster and will be building a cabinet shortly for it. I'm jumping in folks!
Do YOU Scopper?

megaloxana
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Post by megaloxana »

thatkid wrote:I just scored a free sandblaster and will be building a cabinet shortly for it. I'm jumping in folks!
Thats what I'm talking about..NICE That will help you a ton.
'92 FZR 600

match417
Level 8.0
Level 8.0

Post by match417 »

i measured the car's valve cover the other day, 16 X 10 inches, and I'll have to get my camera to take pics of the blue silicone couplers. I'm sure it will fit in your oven though, but PLEASE be careful with it, i'm sure you will be. but these heads are rare enough and this one was hard to find, it's not something i can just go on ebay and get. Well, i'm just worrying, i know you'll take care of it. you seem to know what you're doing. I'll let you know when i'm about to send it, i have to wait to get some extra cash.
check out my car and bike projects on http://youtube.com/match417
dreman
50+ Posts
50+ Posts

Post by dreman »

yamaha_george wrote:
dreman wrote:damn!!!! why must you be so far away???? :swear
Dreman,
the guy who wrote the article I gave the URL for is in Oz so you are not too far from help (well relatively Oz size speaking ) :whistle
hi george,

i didnt know that.will go the url again and see where he is. one side of OZ to the other is still about 3000+ kilometers. :-D

Return to “Green Machine Customs [Custom Fabrication / Machining / Powdercoating]”