Race bars and cover protectors!

This area is owned and operated by ThatKid (Nate)

Moderators: Site Director, FZR Forum Moderators

zero9243
Level 8.5
Level 8.5

Re: Race bars and cover protectors!

Post by zero9243 »

What a G. Lookin out for the FZR community 1 mod at a time!
Upgrades:
  • Barnett Clutch------------------------------------------R6 Blue Dots, Front Master Brake Cylinder+Reservoir
    WP Adjustable Rear Shock----------------------------Vortex 520 Conversion with RK GB520GXW Chain
    V&H Header (4-1)--------------------------------------Swingarm Spool Mounts
    Cobra F1r Exhaust Can--------------------------------R6 Voltage Regulator
    Flo-Commander with Remote-------------------------Custom Airtech Passenger Seat
    Stage 7 Jet kit with Diffuser Caps--------------------Factory Pro Nickel Emulsion Tubes
    Wiseco 630 Kit------------------------------------------Custom Frame Slider Mounts
    Modking Hydraulic Clutch Kit--------------------------Hella Projection Headlight with Xentec HID Kit (H9 Bulb)
    Modking Aluminum Radiator Overflow Bottle--------

thatkid
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Post by thatkid »

More done! So Dillon came down and we dropped off parts to be powdercoated, picked up more metal, and then spent forever and a day drilling the crap out of metal. Here is the process in picture format.

The stock 7/8" solid rod. That came in a 12' length and then got cut down with an angle grinder into 11 5" pieces and 11 4" pieces.

Then, center was found and a pilot hole was drilled.

The bigger hole was drilled and tapped.

This process happens on each side folks. Since my mill is still not running and I don't have a drill press, that process was done by hand. The four bars laying down on the right are done out of stainless. Umm, they sucked to drill.

The pucks that will be attaching to the race rails. I'm playing with a few designs and will offer up a choice.

The solid rod I threaded that will replace the top engine bolt.

The right side mocked up. Haven't finished the mount for it but the bends are good. Will only require a small mod to fit stock fairings.

Back view.

Front view.

Both view. They really won't add much width to the bike as they will come out just past the fairings. So those worried about the lines of the bike will still be able to use the rails.

I'm also going to offer just the front part of the race rails with pucks as a package deal. They bolt directly to the cradle/engine. You'll just have to drill a 1" hole in the fairing for them to mount. It will take the impact of a lowside or tip over and stick out just past the cover on each side so they'll be saved. With the pucks it will be $40 shipped in the US.
Do YOU Scopper?

"When some people cry, it's not because they’re weak. It’s because they’ve been strong for far too long."
haunter
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Post by haunter »

how much with them coated in black?
thatkid
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Post by thatkid »

haunter wrote:how much with them coated in black?
For the race rails or for the front protectors?
Do YOU Scopper?

"When some people cry, it's not because they’re weak. It’s because they’ve been strong for far too long."
yamaha_george
5000+ Posts
5000+ Posts

Post by yamaha_george »

&

TK,
The fixing of the rear end of the race bar in these 2 top pictures
is FAR neater & stronger than the plate in the last picture:-

Why did you change the design so radically ?
A very curios Y-G
Genesis
Level 8.0
Level 8.0

Post by Genesis »

yamaha_george wrote: TK,
The fixing of the rear end of the race bar in these 2 top pictures
is FAR neater & stronger than the plate in the last picture:-

Why did you change the design so radically ?
A very curios Y-G
I was curious too, Y-G, good question. I still want to pick up some. maybe it is to clear the fairing......
1990 Yamaha FZR600 Genesis, Daily Driver
My FZR6 Rebuild

1985 GMC 4x4 T-15 X-Cab Sierra
1999 Chevy 4x4 Blazer (wifes car)

"If a man can build it, I can take it apart and sometimes even put it back together and fix it" --Unknown

"'I wish none of this had happened.' 'So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us.....'" J.R.R. Tolkien
zero9243
Level 8.5
Level 8.5

Post by zero9243 »

The threads on the bolt created a situation where the nut that was needed to tighten it wouldn't fit inside the tube, but the tube needed to sit flush inside the hole in the frame.
Upgrades:
  • Barnett Clutch------------------------------------------R6 Blue Dots, Front Master Brake Cylinder+Reservoir
    WP Adjustable Rear Shock----------------------------Vortex 520 Conversion with RK GB520GXW Chain
    Stage 7 Jet kit with Diffuser Caps--------------------Factory Pro Nickel Emulsion Tubes
    Wiseco 630 Kit------------------------------------------Custom Frame Slider Mounts
    Modking Hydraulic Clutch Kit--------------------------Hella Projection Headlight with Xentec HID Kit (H9 Bulb)

haunter
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Post by haunter »

those are different sides of the engine....

I think you liked the wrong pic for #3
thatkid
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Post by thatkid »

The point was brought up that in a crash, your shins would meet abruptly with the the bar in the first design. So with the second design starting from the frame and sloping outward, you'd graze off them in a crash. I'm open to ideas. I want people to buy them so if anyone has input I'm up for it. I want these to appeal to people and protect the covers. Sure these bikes were made for a lot of years but that doesn't mean the covers aren't going to run out. I think the new design will be just as strong though. The force would be pushing the bar into the frame and into the weld as opposed to the first design that would push the bar across the weld. Does that make sense??
Do YOU Scopper?

yamaha_george
5000+ Posts
5000+ Posts

Post by yamaha_george »

thatkid wrote:The point was brought up that in a crash, your shins would meet abruptly with the the bar in the first design. So with the second design starting from the frame and sloping outward, you'd graze off them in a crash. I'm open to ideas. I want people to buy them so if anyone has input I'm up for it. I want these to appeal to people and protect the covers. Sure these bikes were made for a lot of years but that doesn't mean the covers aren't going to run out. I think the new design will be just as strong though. The force would be pushing the bar into the frame and into the weld as opposed to the first design that would push the bar across the weld. Does that make sense??

TK,

From a H & S point of view yes if your buyer gets his shin busted he is not going to be happy with TK.

That said that tab on the end just is hidious looking practical in a crash but just spoils all the other "craft" in the idea.

Maybe take the end into that frame indentation and put a bolt through that end maybe an allen head sunk into the surface slightly. If the bar got knocked back it may sheer the bolt and save the frame, unless the frame is hit dead on front the main force as you say will be the bike trying to get to the ground ie more crushing & sliding than backward.

HTH
haro504
Level 7.5
Level 7.5

Post by haro504 »

i dont know how hard it would be with out tring it but would you be able to tuck the rear end of the bar behind the frame then make some hevier sleave spacers that center the engine and weld it to that like the front. might have to make a two peice bar or something.
ones life is the way it is only because you allow it make it happen.
i poop my pants i poop my pants
Dragon
Level 2.5
Level 2.5

Post by Dragon »

I want, I want.... LOL
1's for bikes with plastics though, so put me on your list when u get them done TK.
Genesis
Level 8.0
Level 8.0

Post by Genesis »

any updates on these? I still want some.
1990 Yamaha FZR600 Genesis, Daily Driver
My FZR6 Rebuild

1985 GMC 4x4 T-15 X-Cab Sierra
1999 Chevy 4x4 Blazer (wifes car)

"If a man can build it, I can take it apart and sometimes even put it back together and fix it" --Unknown

"'I wish none of this had happened.' 'So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us.....'" J.R.R. Tolkien
zero9243
Level 8.5
Level 8.5

Post by zero9243 »

Genesis wrote:any updates on these? I still want some.
He's getting his shop up and running still. Lots of crap to be done so lots of projects have been put on hold which sucks. :-(
Upgrades:

scarlett
50+ Posts
50+ Posts

Post by scarlett »

zero9243 wrote:
Genesis wrote:any updates on these? I still want some.
He's getting his shop up and running still. Lots of crap to be done so lots of projects have been put on hold which sucks. :-(

Projects.....like replacing headliners?

Return to “Green Machine Customs [Custom Fabrication / Machining / Powdercoating]”