Stem swaps

This area is owned and operated by ThatKid (Nate)

Moderators: Site Director, FZR Forum Moderators

thatkid
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Stem swaps

Post by thatkid »

They really aren't that hard. At least getting them to fit. A simple bushing top and bottom and you're set. Here's a recent one I did on a ZRX that wanted some beefy ZX-14 forks instead.

The new bushing being turned on the lathe out of 6061.

Side by side. New on the left, old on the right.

Getting pressed back in to their rightful places. Notice the recesses in the bushings for the lock rings. They'll slide right on in so there is a full safe press that isn't coming out anytime soon.

That's about all I have. He'll send me more when he gets it on the bike how he wants it. Should be good looking though. Nice bike.
Do YOU Scopper?

"When some people cry, it's not because they’re weak. It’s because they’ve been strong for far too long."
delvryboy
Level 5.0
Level 5.0

Re: Stem swaps

Post by delvryboy »

What's the limitations? Can I put that ZX-10 front on an FZR? The more options, the better deal that can be had to pick up an entire front end.
'92 FZR600
Race Tech Springs & Gold Valve Emulators * '06 R6 MC & Calipers * '06 R6 Rear Shock
130 Dynojet Mains/Pods/Flo-Comander * Full Yoshi Exhaust w/ Custom Can
'06 R6 VR * Full OEM Clutch * 14/49 520 Gearing
Seca II Triple w/ Modded Sport Tour Bars * Aztec8 Dual 4" w/ 4100K Halagon lamps * LED Tail/Turn Signals * Vapor Gauges
Lots of Powder
Freestyle72
Level 4.0
Level 4.0

Post by Freestyle72 »

delvryboy wrote:What's the limitations? Can I put that ZX-10 front on an FZR? The more options, the better deal that can be had to pick up an entire front end.

There are no limitations when it comes to stem swapping.

Some front ends on some older bikes are a solid piece with the lower triple, but in general you can do this with any bike and any front end.

Also you should be aware of fork length and stuff like that so your bike doesn't bottom out.
thatkid
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Post by thatkid »

Pretty much. As long as the stem can be pressed out and the fork legs aren't too drastically different in length, it'll work. People's biggest issue usually is a matching wheel.
Do YOU Scopper?

"When some people cry, it's not because they’re weak. It’s because they’ve been strong for far too long."

Return to “Green Machine Customs [Custom Fabrication / Machining / Powdercoating]”