How to: Fiberglass; make seat cowl from original part

Moderators: Site Director, FZR Forum Moderators

Target30
Level 7.5
Level 7.5

How to: Fiberglass; make seat cowl from original part

Post by Target30 »

I will update this throughout the process, but wanted to get it started because if i didnt i may never do it.

There are a few different ways to do this, by searching on youtube you can find a lot of info, thats where i found my base knowledge, and then just practiced. This is not the professional way to do this, but it is a way for you to work with fiberglass by using what you can buy from any auto parts store. so here we go...

What you will need:

Fiberglass resin
Fiberglass (woven cloth is the easiest to work with)
solo cups (to mix resin) disposable
surgical gloves
cheap paint brushes (1" and 2")
Automotive wax (paste)
vaseline
well ventilated area to work, with some open space

To Start:

Take original part, if it is in good shape, wash it. apply 4-5 coats of wax to the part, preferably a paste wax. let it dry and hand buff it between coats. I use vaseline to help the parts separate. use a cloth to put a layer of vaseline on the part, this will help when you try to pull the fiberglass off of the part.

Lay your fiberglass cloth on the part, carefully cut it to the desired size, i left about an inch all the way around.
Read direction on resin bottle for mixing instructions.

Mix resin in solo cup (or any other cup/container you never want to use again.
put gloves on.

Lay pre-cut fiberglass on part, pour some resin on top of the fiberglass. (realize that it will run, so be quick with your brush.)
Brush the resin into the fiberglass, completely saturating the fiberglass.

Work your way from the center out until the fiberglass is all wet with resin. (it will take a few times to estimate the amount of resin you will need, i still over and under shoot it at times) best to mix less, so as not to waste it.
Since you are wearing gloves (at least i hope) you can smooth corners with your fingers.

Let sit to cure. you will need to do at least 2 more coats before we pull it off the part.

Here it is after 2 layers of fiberglass woven cloth, and a layer of chopped cloth for strength.

After it is dry, carefully start to separate the parts. They will not just slide off, it may take some working. go slow, work your way around, and eventually it will pop off. You will also find out how well you waxed it at this point!

You can see the outline of the original part inside. now trim the excess fiberglass off. a dremel tool helps here, scissors probably wont cut it (get it?)

and trimmed

unfortunately i had a small issue with the fiberglass on the front part, and am repairing it, i'll show what i did with that after. but i dont want to put it in the middle of the how-to.

that is all for now, i will edit this first post to hold the entire how to. feel free to ask questions, i will try my best to answer below.
Last edited by Target30 on Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
I did that.

"(12:38:42) sweekster: i work when i want because i'm sweeks"
ragedigital
4000+ Posts
4000+ Posts

Re: How to make seat cowl from original part

Post by ragedigital »

Target30 wrote:ince you are wearing gloves (at least i hope)
Certainly wear gloves... that resin is a nightmare to get off of hands.
Thanks for joining and participating in the most "active" FZR Community on the internet!
haunter
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Post by haunter »

nice to see it going to a good use
thatkid

Post by thatkid »

The gloves are a must, as stated the resin is very difficult to remove from your hands, its also an irritant. What do you hold when you need to pee? nuff said.
Target30
Level 7.5
Level 7.5

Re: How to: Fiberglass; make seat cowl from original part

Post by Target30 »

updates
I did that.

tony
100+ Posts
100+ Posts

Post by tony »

you can get gelcoat from any marine /boat store mix with catalist also from store use paint brush to paint on wait till tacky a few minuites then another coat wait till tacky then start with fibreglass this way you will get good finish ,you can also get pigmant to coulour the gelcoat to match colour of your bike but this requires patience to match colour
Target30
Level 7.5
Level 7.5

Post by Target30 »

Thanks for the info, Tony. This is true, and gelcoat makes this a bit easier, you would use the gelcoat after waxing the part, then lay the fiberglass on it. however a lot of people do not have marine supply stores closeby, so i offered up an alternative that works.
I did that.

Return to “ABS, Fiberglass and Carbon Fiber”