donor bike? no spark!

Moderators: Site Director, FZR Forum Moderators

dusty6700
Site Newbie

donor bike? no spark!

Post by dusty6700 »

i have recently purchased a 1989 fzr1000 with 11,500 miles on the odometer for $100! i should mention that it had broke down on the guy and he left it on the side of the road where it was then struck by another vehicle!!! the rear fender, sub-frame, and all lights are off the bike as it sits. now the reason i have purchased this bike is the fact that i'm in the process of building a mini-sandrail and like the idea of 145hp powering this buggy(and yeah.....i realize some will think this is a sin to waste this bike for a sandrail) i have ordered a haynes manual for the bike but haven't got it yet. the bike cranks over just fine, but has no spark at the plugs. i do have power at the coils. i won't know what ohms to be checking for on all the different parts until i get my manual. what i'd really like to know.....is what the "bare minimum" of wiring i need to run this motor??? i will probably want to have a headlight and taillight, but wont need the turn signals, brake light, fuel pump, saftey switches, ect....! i'm just hoping that maybe one of the things i don't need could be causing my "no spark" issue.
thatkid

Re: donor bike? no spark!

Post by thatkid »

Power to the coil is supplied when you turn on the ignition, the TCI makes/breaks the circuit which in turn causes the coil secondary winding to fire/spark the plugs. The TCI is mounted on the topside of the rear fender marking could be"DIGITAL IGNITER TID14-86" or similar.

Yes its a sin, but G/L
mrfreeze5
Level 8.0
Level 8.0

Post by mrfreeze5 »

As was mentioned, the TCI is the brains of the whole operation, but the TCIs ability to allow spark is affected by several things. The safety circuit can keep the bike from sparking, so check you kicktand switch, clutch switch, neutral safety switch, to make sure they are working proplerly. If those are all good, then check the resistance of your coils, primary AND secondary. And also check your pickup coil. Thats what tells the coils WHEN to fire. I was chasing a no start issue on my 600 for weeks and it turned out to be the pickup coil shorting to ground. Although the resistance was in spec, it was shorting to ground, which it should not do. So when you are checking you system, check you coils per the manual, but also check for continuity to ground at the pickup coil. It doesnt mention this in the manual, but can cause a no spark issue.
thatkid

Post by thatkid »

mrfreeze5 i recall reading the thread/post on your no start issue, didn't see/read the solution, no wonder it baffled you for weeks.

Back on topic i mentioned the TCI since its mounted on the rear fender, "the rear fender, sub-frame, and all lights are off the bike as it sits." maybe the TCI needs reconnecting.
dusty6700
Site Newbie

Post by dusty6700 »

the tci is plugged in(with that exact part #)! i'm not sure about the safety switches working correctly. i am checking for continuity on the clutch switch with no change from engaged to disengaged! i'm not even going to try to say i know ANYTHING about these bikes(i've never even had the chance to ride a sport bike, but i've ridden and worked on every other type of bike my entire life) but i'm not sure why the clutch switch would make a difference. the indicator light for neutral is working correctly. every street bike i've ever had will not start if not in neutral....unless the clutch is pulled. and they will start with the side stand in any position.....but they will die if you put them in gear while the side stand is down(except my harleys). hopefully it is something with the pick-up coil, because i've priced the ignitor....and was amazed at the $950 price tag for a new one!!! i'm hoping my manual shows up fast, so i can start checking resistance on everything. i'm curious what people do when building a drag bike??? surely they remove some of this excessive wiring!
dusty6700
Site Newbie

Post by dusty6700 »

finally got back around to this project! everything checks out good. guess it's time to buy a used tci and cross my fingers! i sure don't feel comfortable spending $200 on something that i don't know if it works, or if it's even the problem. guess i may end up with a spare one if it doesn't end up being the problem!
tony
100+ Posts
100+ Posts

Post by tony »

hi dusty im not hundred percent sure but mawler will know but i had similar situation with my bike as mawler his and it turned out to be the multi relay £10 on ebay mine was a dirty corroded connection the engine would crank but no information was leaving the relay to opperate the rest of the bike
dusty6700
Site Newbie

Post by dusty6700 »

Thanks! I may try that next! The only test for the relay(in my manual) is to test the diode inside, it tested ok. Sounds cheap enough to try tho. Still waiting for the tci to show up at my doorstep first.
thatkid

Post by thatkid »

Tony IIRC our bikes would not crank over.

Dusty the main relay has nothing to do with the ignition system it manages the safety switches & houses the fuel pump relay. There's a colour wiring diagram in the WIKI that should help you out with the ignition system diagnosis & as to what wiring is the "bare minimum" required for your project.

http://fzronline.com/wiki/lib/exe/detai ... iagram.gif
dusty6700
Site Newbie

Post by dusty6700 »

So, after almost 4yrs of sitting in my garage, I finally got back around to this project. Plugged in the new TCI.....got fire! Pulled off the float bowls, and pulled the (plugged tight) jets. Soaked them over night...re-installed...fired right up! rigged up a subframe with scrap iron...duct taped on a spare CRF50 seat i had laying around and took her for a ride! I posted the Chassis on the "For Sale" section of the forum. If i don't get any interest in the Chassis, i'm thinking i may build a "real" subframe, stretch the swingarm, and turn this into a Drag Bike. ....and I have checked into this forum, and see that not too many on here think turning a FZR into a "drag bike" is the right choice, but i'm just not into the road racing thing. Anyone have any experience with setting these up for Drag Racing?
http://s1376.photobucket.com/user/dustyfahe/slideshow/

Return to “Electrical: MODs/How-To/Issues”