electrical problem 97 fzr600

Moderators: Site Director, FZR Forum Moderators

Jsteen25
Site Newbie

Re: electrical problem 97 fzr600

Post by Jsteen25 »

Yea I just have no clue as to how the throttle tube, throttle, etc works and am pretty sure I would get the adjustment wrong, only creating another problem for myself :/. Ill prolly just take my chances and clean it while waiting for my main relay.
Would you say to only buy a new relay and not get a use one? Or would a used one w a return policy be ok?
1997 FZR600r
DonTZ125

Post by DonTZ125 »

Not many places allow returns on electrical parts. The relay assemblies aren't under a lot of load, so should be fairly reliable. You can either buy new, or buy from a reliable wrecker on ebay with a good feedback rating, or one of the guys here parting out.
Jsteen25
Site Newbie

Post by Jsteen25 »

I only ask the return thing because I found one on eBay for like a total of 35$ w shipping and it has a 14 day return policy. My only problem w not buying new is that who knows when that used one will go bad just like mine has.

If you could give me a link to that yzf part (main relay) u found for 25$ on eBay that would be so awesome... Ill look for reliable people parting out there bikes as well.

Thanks
1997 FZR600r
Jsteen25
Site Newbie

Post by Jsteen25 »

Ok so I got the main relay assy yesterday and wired all the wires back to original positions and put them in the main relay that I got from ebay. It fixed a couple things, 1. My neutral light no longer stays on in gear. 2. the start button does not crank the engine when the key is not in/on (thank god). with that being said..

When I got her started after fixing my problem she only ran for about 3-4 mins, nearing the 4 min mark it sounded like the bike was only firing on a couple cylinders so I put it in gear and eased out the clutch then it died. So I took off my fairing and pulled off my fuel pump line and its not pumping anything, I assumed that my bike was only running on what fuel was left in the carbs from previous use? And that i just need to find out why my fuel pump isn't working. Is it something in the Main Relay?

On another hand with my headlights, I might need to do something with the switch on the left grip since my illumination gauge is also not working. Maybe cleaning some connections would fix my headlight/gauge problem? idk. Im going to pull that off and check it out soon though.

Thanks for any response guys!
1997 FZR600r

Return to “Electrical: MODs/How-To/Issues”