87 fzr1000 Internal regulator mod....alternatives?

Moderators: Site Director, FZR Forum Moderators

nikko
Site Newbie

87 fzr1000 Internal regulator mod....alternatives?

Post by nikko »

Hello gentlemen. I am sure that there is someone out there in the community that has done some research on the alternators used on the fzr1000. I keep coming to a brick wall when i cross reference the internal parts. It looks like the alternator was also used on some cars. Is there some way to swap those parts? There must be a way to keep these old bikes on the road when the parts cost more than the bike is worth! Any input would be appreciated. Thank You.
willandrip
Level 7.0
Level 7.0

Re: 87 fzr1000 Internal regulator mod....alternatives?

Post by willandrip »

For the paltry sum a used one costs; they are not worth the bother of repair unless you are an auto electrician;
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/yamaha-fzr100 ... 2591daa13b
Sent from my keyboard using the English language not some teen text shite from a fooking phone.
nikko
Site Newbie

Post by nikko »

I know there are used ones out there but you do not know its history and all will be gone eventually. I was curious if any internal parts cross referenced. we live in a throw away society.
willandrip
Level 7.0
Level 7.0

Post by willandrip »

Any God's amount of replacement regulator and rectifier components for ND alternators if you wish to
spend £100 ish per component on a £20 alternator. No cheap generic automotive components appear to fit inside the
casing which is much smaller than one fitted to an automobile.

We do indeed live in a throw away society; unfortunately this will always be the case where repair is 5X times the
cost of replacement.

Motorcycles being motorcycles and in view of how easily they are made no longer economically viable to repair in the event of an accident and are therefore broken up for spares would indicate that there is more likelihood of the fuel on which they operate being no longer available rather than the supply of used alternators being their ultimate demise.

What did you do with the new battery that boiled dry ?
Did you disassemble it and replace the lead/zinc plates and reseal or simply discard and replace.?
Sent from my keyboard using the English language not some teen text shite from a fooking phone.
nikko
Site Newbie

Post by nikko »

Well. not looking for an argument but, there are some machines that are legendary and have a history too valuable to just throw out. Why not keep them operational and not in a museum? By the way. ... I would have rebuilt my battery but they make a replacement one ... not like the alternator.
willandrip
Level 7.0
Level 7.0

Post by willandrip »

You can still get new alternators !
http://racetechelectric.com/i-14291818- ... r1200.html
NOS genuine often surface at auction also.

I. by no means, meant decommission the motorcycle.
There are numerous used ND alternator at very reasonable rates.
Buy 2; you have then one complete spare and one for parts.

What was trying to be explained was;
The KNOWN solution for non charging/overcharging alternators on a FZR 1000 at the most economical price is to replace with a used unit.

The posts are not intended to be inflammatory; It is by debate and information such as this that others resolve their
problems in the most efficient and timely manner.!
nikko
Site Newbie

Post by nikko »

It has been a while but...thank you will and rip for the clarification. I purchased a fj1100 alternator because the numbers cross referenced. There were only 2 mounting points instead of three and it would not fit with stock fj outer cover.. It was slightly longer. Took my alternator to my electronics guru and could not find anything wrong. Turned out to be my battery .... Again. Ugh. These bikes seem to be very fussy with voltage. :tks:
willandrip
Level 7.0
Level 7.0

Post by willandrip »

Strange that the alternator was not a direct fit;
http://www.boats.net/parts/detail/yamah ... 55-00.html

They are indeed fitted to many models.

Perhaps if purchased as a used example it was incorrectly described.
That is one problem of buying used; one must trust the seller knows his onions.

Usually Yamaha are very good at X referencing.

Some batteries however are much better than others.

I run a much smaller than stock battery on the bike in my avatar as the aftermarket shock intrudes into the battery box;
fortunately it has not been a problem.

The reg/rec parts from the non fitting alternator may be adapted to fit your Fzr alternator ; so it may not be a total loss if required at a later date.( I know how you don't like to waste things.)

Return to “Electrical: MODs/How-To/Issues”