Frame sliders!!!!!!!!!, The only type that work for the FZR

Moderators: Site Director, FZR Forum Moderators

RCPlayland
50+ Posts
50+ Posts

Frame sliders!!!!!!!!!, The only type that work for the FZR

Post by RCPlayland »

have seen alot of questions and shoot downs about frame sliders and the FZR.

A while back a member posted his set up and I can't for the life of me find the thread..... but I did download the diagram of his setup.

As far as I can tell this would be the best setup for frame sliders for those who want them. If anyone can find the post, please link it to this topic.
Thank you.

(mods or admin: can you please pin or sticky this for future ppl asking about frame sliders) (also feel free to ad comments of how regular mounting of frame sliders will damage the FZR frame)

ImageImage
http://www.myspace.com/rcplayland <-------Click here for myspace webpages of me
yamaha_george
5000+ Posts
5000+ Posts

Re: Frame sliders!!!!!!!!!, The only type that work for the FZR

Post by yamaha_george »

RCPlayland wrote:have seen a lot of questions and shoot downs about frame sliders and the FZR.

A while back a member posted his set up and I can't for the life of me find the thread..... but I did download the diagram of his setup.

As far as I can tell this would be the best setup for frame sliders for those who want them. If anyone can find the post, please link it to this topic.
Thank you.

(mods or admin: can you please pin or sticky this for future ppl asking about frame sliders) (also feel free to ad comments of how regular mounting of frame sliders will damage the FZR frame)
RCP.
sorry to say those pics are so small as to be unreadable (photoshop magnify is no help either )
YAM93
1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts

Post by YAM93 »

if you click on it once, let it re-set, then click on it again, it goes to full size, quite large.

(automatically re-directs to Gallery, then enlarges yet again)

:banana:
yamaha_george
5000+ Posts
5000+ Posts

Post by yamaha_george »

YAM93 wrote:if you click on it once, let it re-set, then click on it again, it goes to full size, quite large.

(automatically re-directs to Gallery, then enlarges yet again)

:banana:
Yam,
see "it is possible to teach an old dog new tricks " screwy
Thanks printed them both off for my scrap book for cold winter days :-} Nerd
sweekster
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Post by sweekster »

Officially a sticky now. Thanks RC!!
Duane...
Bike:
1994 Yamaha FZR 1000 EXUP
Factory Pro Stage 1 Jetting | K&N Filter | Corbin Seat | ProTek Keyless Gas Cap | GSXR Mirrors
My Thread
Cage:
2005 Saab 9-7x 5.3i Arc AWD

THE WIKI IS YOUR FRIEND
THE SEARCH IS YOUR SIGNIFICANT OTHER
USE THEM!!
yamaha_george
5000+ Posts
5000+ Posts

Post by yamaha_george »

95FZR600 wrote:Any pics of the finished product?
Not here BUT I did do a web page for my site about it under project FZR!!!

http://www.saltmine.org.uk/fzr/frameslider.html

Thanks RCP you are now famous
RCPlayland
50+ Posts
50+ Posts

Post by RCPlayland »

lol...

It isn't my project, but I may try it myself... I just thought I would post it up for those of you that would want a system that seems to work for frame sliders.

The guy that did this was on the archives and did have a post about this but I can't seem to find the post agian. Maybe it got deleted. He did do this and but I don't think he had "experienced" a wreck with them.

Anyhow. Hope this helps any questions.
the_finch
Level 8.5
Level 8.5

Post by the_finch »

I don't mean to be a pessimist, but there's some problems in the design with these. I'll take pics and post tonight or tomorrow with hard numbers to show what I'm talking about.
1997 FZR600RJ

Engine: K&N Drop-in air filter - stock airbox - FP 5°ignition advancer - EBC "Street Racer" Kevlar clutch
Exhaust: Stock header - Yoshimura RS-3 Carbon fiber slip-on
Body: Original paint/graphics - Clear Alternatives integrated LED Taillight - Flanders' flush front signals - YZF600 Mirrors - Comp. Werkes Stainless fender eliminator/tag bracket - 60w/55w H4 headlights
Tires: Metzler MEZ4B 120/70 ZR17 Front - Michelin Madacam 100x 150/70 ZR18 Rear
Brakes:Stock rotors with EBC HH Sinstered pads
In the works: YZF600 header, '97 Bandit 600 rear wheel, DynoJet Stage 3, Racetech Springs and Emulators fork rebuild, FZ1 rear shock, YZF600 front MC, Galfer SS Lines, CFM rearsets
the_finch
Level 8.5
Level 8.5

Post by the_finch »

95FZR600 wrote:
the_finch wrote:I don't mean to be a pessimist, but there's some problems in the design with these. I'll take pics and post tonight or tomorrow with hard numbers to show what I'm talking about.

PICS!!!!
I've been really busy tonight, so I don't have the measurements for the hard numbers, but here's a quick diagram I made of a problem I think I noticed with this design.

(Please note that this computer generated model was made with the most advanced three-dimensional modeling software designed by man.) :mrgreen:

Just looking at the bike eyeballing it with my 99-02 R6 frame sliders, it looks like if you mounted it through the frame rail, it won't stick out enough. If the bike ever slid, it would basically grind your case covers and rip your plastics off long before the sliders would ever do anything. In order for them to do anything, they would actually have to be so long that they would get in the way of the handlebars, not to mention look ridiculous with a piece of pipe sticking a foot off of the side of the bike.

In my revised design, gussets are welded between the engine downtubes so a piece of solid square can bolt in between the downtubes, making them a solid unit (the unbolt-able part is obviously necessary to be able to get to oil filter/exhaust). Brace plates with mounting nuts welded to them would then be welded to the side of the downtubes and the frame sliders mounted, with the frame sliders poking farther out than the case covers and mounted forward of and a little above the case covers.

This is all theoretical until I can get out and measure a couple of things tomorrow night and/or RCPlayland and I actually construct both of these and then purposely lay them down at 60 to test them out. Since the latter isn't happening anytime soon, let's just call it theoretical. :thumbsup:
1997 FZR600RJ

Engine: K&N Drop-in air filter - stock airbox - FP 5°ignition advancer - EBC "Street Racer" Kevlar clutch
Exhaust: Stock header - Yoshimura RS-3 Carbon fiber slip-on
Body: Original paint/graphics - Clear Alternatives integrated LED Taillight - Flanders' flush front signals - YZF600 Mirrors - Comp. Werkes Stainless fender eliminator/tag bracket - 60w/55w H4 headlights
Tires: Metzler MEZ4B 120/70 ZR17 Front - Michelin Madacam 100x 150/70 ZR18 Rear
Brakes:Stock rotors with EBC HH Sinstered pads
In the works: YZF600 header, '97 Bandit 600 rear wheel, DynoJet Stage 3, Racetech Springs and Emulators fork rebuild, FZ1 rear shock, YZF600 front MC, Galfer SS Lines, CFM rearsets
yamaha_george
5000+ Posts
5000+ Posts

Post by yamaha_george »

95FZR600 wrote:
the_finch wrote:I don't mean to be a pessimist, but there's some problems in the design with these. I'll take pics and post tonight or tomorrow with hard numbers to show what I'm talking about.

PICS!!!!
patience grasshopper patience :whistle
shredex
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Post by shredex »

they do exsist, and they have been done before, take a look at this FZR that I found. notice the frame slider on the bike.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4ucSC-k ... re=related
sweekster
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Post by sweekster »

shredex wrote:they do exsist, and they have been done before, take a look at this FZR that I found. notice the frame slider on the bike.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4ucSC-k ... re=related
The ones in that vid look to be part of an actual crash cage and not just sliders but either way it serves the same purpose.
Duane...
Bike:
1994 Yamaha FZR 1000 EXUP
Factory Pro Stage 1 Jetting | K&N Filter | Corbin Seat | ProTek Keyless Gas Cap | GSXR Mirrors
My Thread
Cage:
2005 Saab 9-7x 5.3i Arc AWD

THE WIKI IS YOUR FRIEND
THE SEARCH IS YOUR SIGNIFICANT OTHER
USE THEM!!
RCPlayland
50+ Posts
50+ Posts

Post by RCPlayland »

sorry guys... it's been a while since I have had time to be here. (long story)

Anyhow.... the guy that drew-up those plans in my first post had actually made them... and used them on his fzr 600. Now whether or not he tested them... probably not. But the main thing that was talked about in his post was that they "structurally" dispersed the impact across the frame. Our fzr frame are weak for regular frame sliders.

Anyhow I do also have to agree that the frame sliders being positioned lower would also be better too... unless the bike tips past their balance point while sliding down the road. Then you would get damage to the birdcage and tank and upper tail section.

Now spyder was working on a crash cage design for both types of bikes.... naked and full fairing. That probably would be by far the best. But any how I am going to try the design that I first posted about. Just don't ask me to test it... lmao. But ya never know... shit happens and I may accidentally test it out next spring.
live.strong6
Site Newbie

Post by live.strong6 »

Hi, I'm new to this forum (I've been at the FZR Forum) but this thread caught my eye. I just finished building a cage for my '99 FZR600 (pic's below). I'm willing to make some more if there is interest. I used 1.0" dia tube with .095" wall with MIG welds. I am planning on attaching sliders onto the two tubes that come out in the near future. Let me know what you think!

http://www.fzrarchives.com/ipb/index.ph ... opic=46772
thatkid
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Post by thatkid »

Please don't double post. Part of why this site runs so well is it's kept streamlined compared to the archives. No need for the same post in two threads.
Do YOU Scopper?

"When some people cry, it's not because they’re weak. It’s because they’ve been strong for far too long."