FZR600 R1 tail conversion!!! who did it?!

Moderators: Site Director, FZR Forum Moderators

Brutal Tooth
50+ Posts
50+ Posts

FZR600 R1 tail conversion!!! who did it?!

Post by Brutal Tooth »

Need to know if I need to by a tank, and possibly if anyone has the "how to" for the R1 04 tail conversion. :banjoman
Genesis
Level 8.0
Level 8.0

Re: FZR600 R1 tail conversion!!! who did it?!

Post by Genesis »

1990 Yamaha FZR600 Genesis, Daily Driver
My FZR6 Rebuild

1985 GMC 4x4 T-15 X-Cab Sierra
1999 Chevy 4x4 Blazer (wifes car)

"If a man can build it, I can take it apart and sometimes even put it back together and fix it" --Unknown

"'I wish none of this had happened.' 'So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us.....'" J.R.R. Tolkien
mrfreeze5
Level 8.0
Level 8.0

Post by mrfreeze5 »

It is not an easy tail to use on the stock subframe and will take a lot of work. Youll need to either patch the hole in your stock tank cover, or install a YZF tank. The R1 seat has a tighter radius than the YZF tank does, and the seat pan has to be trimmed to fit. The tail will look too low just about any way you do it unless you make a custom subframe or get really creative. And using a passenger seat will be very difficult.

The best How-To I can offer is this:

edit: fzrarchives is shit and never works right, so I cant pull up the page.
Genesis
Level 8.0
Level 8.0

Post by Genesis »

mrfreeze5 wrote:The best How-To I can offer is this:

edit: fzrarchives is shit and never works right, so I cant pull up the page.
http://www.fzrarchives.com/ipb/index.ph ... 31279&st=0

is that what you were tring to find?
1990 Yamaha FZR600 Genesis, Daily Driver
My FZR6 Rebuild

1985 GMC 4x4 T-15 X-Cab Sierra
1999 Chevy 4x4 Blazer (wifes car)

"If a man can build it, I can take it apart and sometimes even put it back together and fix it" --Unknown

"'I wish none of this had happened.' 'So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us.....'" J.R.R. Tolkien
old_school
Level 8.0
Level 8.0

Post by old_school »

if you aren't in love with 2 seats the airtech tail was alot easier..
NO FZR :(
05 Yamaha R1
03 Harley Fatboy
what's next?
Brutal Tooth
50+ Posts
50+ Posts

Post by Brutal Tooth »

no offense, but I think the airtech looks like ass if it isnt a track bike.
Brutal Tooth
50+ Posts
50+ Posts

Post by Brutal Tooth »

:udaman freeze
old_school
Level 8.0
Level 8.0

Post by old_school »

None taken! :) I was looking to get the "box" off the tail of my bike as fast as possible.. This is a modified airtech which 2004 r6 lights and custum undertail.. (by modking).. I like the stock look better and the second seat but i didn't have the time/skills (and money) to do a tank to tail swap.

NO FZR :(
05 Yamaha R1
03 Harley Fatboy
what's next?
Brutal Tooth
50+ Posts
50+ Posts

Post by Brutal Tooth »

The rear view looks great on the bike, but the side view is what I can't stand, which is why i am going to follow freezes subframe instructions. Damnit freeze... I wish you werent right about the stock frame bing too low for the R1 plastics....
mrfreeze5
Level 8.0
Level 8.0

Post by mrfreeze5 »

Brutal Tooth wrote:The rear view looks great on the bike, but the side view is what I can't stand, which is why i am going to follow freezes subframe instructions. Damnit freeze... I wish you werent right about the stock frame bing too low for the R1 plastics....
I wish I wasnt, believe me. Good luck! Let me know when you run into issues, Ive probably been there already :D.
Brutal Tooth
50+ Posts
50+ Posts

Post by Brutal Tooth »

mrfreeze5 wrote:
Brutal Tooth wrote:The rear view looks great on the bike, but the side view is what I can't stand, which is why i am going to follow freezes subframe instructions. Damnit freeze... I wish you werent right about the stock frame bing too low for the R1 plastics....
I wish I wasnt, believe me. Good luck! Let me know when you run into issues, Ive probably been there already :D.
I know you ran into issues =P. I am thinking of saving all the material from FZR archives just in case it goes down. But your post will help me ALOT with saving time. It will be more like "cut here, install this there" instead of "I hope this is the right place to cut, i'm not so sure.. :duh: "
mrfreeze5
Level 8.0
Level 8.0

Post by mrfreeze5 »

Actually, there is a really good indicator on where to cut, there is a weld across the top of the frame right where it needs to be cut. If you cut right along the edge of the weld, and then make a round hole on either side of the frame so that your slug will slide through the frame, but not out the top. Then weld around both sides and along the top. Line it up smooth with the outside of the frame. I left about 1-2mm sticking out inside the frame. Thats the hardest part. As for extending the frame horns, the pics are pretty self explanatory. When I installed it the first time, I did the job so that I could use an unmodified subframe in case I ever needed to replace it. I also really wanted to make it look clean and have the frame horns slip up inside the subframe. I also wanted the horns to support the subframe. Mine go all the way up inside. If you cut out part of the webbing inside the subframe and make the tops of the frame horns a little differently, you should be able to raise the subframe a little higher than I did on mine. Whenever I decide to redo my frame, I am going to do it like this. This is how I should have done it the first time. Youll need the battery box for the R1 also, but be prepared for interference with the tank, you may need to whack it with a hammer. Its not an easy swap, good luck!
Brutal Tooth
50+ Posts
50+ Posts

Post by Brutal Tooth »

mrfreeze5 wrote:Actually, there is a really good indicator on where to cut, there is a weld across the top of the frame right where it needs to be cut. If you cut right along the edge of the weld, and then make a round hole on either side of the frame so that your slug will slide through the frame, but not out the top. Then weld around both sides and along the top. Line it up smooth with the outside of the frame. I left about 1-2mm sticking out inside the frame. Thats the hardest part. As for extending the frame horns, the pics are pretty self explanatory. When I installed it the first time, I did the job so that I could use an unmodified subframe in case I ever needed to replace it. I also really wanted to make it look clean and have the frame horns slip up inside the subframe. I also wanted the horns to support the subframe. Mine go all the way up inside. If you cut out part of the webbing inside the subframe and make the tops of the frame horns a little differently, you should be able to raise the subframe a little higher than I did on mine. Whenever I decide to redo my frame, I am going to do it like this. This is how I should have done it the first time. Youll need the battery box for the R1 also, but be prepared for interference with the tank, you may need to whack it with a hammer. Its not an easy swap, good luck!
Thanks a bunch again :) I am actually going to be getting an -04 R1 tank and tank cover that was cheap as can be because it was all dented to shite, but no metal binding (this indicates there was no sliding of the bike, just falling over) which is great for a newby like myself who is going to bend it all bed from the inside out! I still might use a hammer just in-case I get frustrated :duh:
shredex
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Post by shredex »

You don't have to do exactly what Freeze has done to get the tail.
My subframe is stock with a few things cut off and added here and there
and if your lucky enough, you might find an undertail to go with it :]
backflipit645
Site Newbie

Post by backflipit645 »

hey im pretty new at this but im buying my first bike its and fzr 600 i was wondering about the tail conversion i mean its a good loking bike just the square bulkieness of the tail i dont really like i wanted to swap it but keep the rear seat i know airtech has a rear tail section but it gets completly rid of the rear seat i was just wondering if there was another way to swap it out if anyone has any idea please let me know much appreciated