Frame Polishing

Moderators: Site Director, FZR Forum Moderators

catman22
Site Newbie

Frame Polishing

Post by catman22 »

The frame on my 1993 FZR 600 was painted by the previous owner, but since the bike is getting painted soon, it might be a good time for me to make the frame look good, So does anybody have some advice for polishing a frame that has been painted?
sweekster
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Re: Frame Polishing

Post by sweekster »

FZR 600 frames are steel so you'll have rust to deal with. Other than powder coating it only option is chrome.

my2cents
Duane...
Bike:
1994 Yamaha FZR 1000 EXUP
Factory Pro Stage 1 Jetting | K&N Filter | Corbin Seat | ProTek Keyless Gas Cap | GSXR Mirrors
My Thread
Cage:
2005 Saab 9-7x 5.3i Arc AWD

THE WIKI IS YOUR FRIEND
THE SEARCH IS YOUR SIGNIFICANT OTHER
USE THEM!!
reelrazor
Wrench
Wrench

Post by reelrazor »

Gun barrel bluing!

That's MY next evolution, I think
http://www.michiganmobileservice.com/

“A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.”-Douglas Adams

http://www.youtube.com/user/reelrazor
mrfreeze5
Level 8.0
Level 8.0

Post by mrfreeze5 »

95FZR600 wrote:Put a magnet to your bike. If it sticks then its metal if it dont then you can most likely polish it.

So if its not magnetic, its not metal?

If she weighs the same as a duck, is she a witch? :grinnod:

I have seen a few polished steel frames. One looked REALLY good since it had a good clearcoat over it. The other one was orange from flash rusting :D.
ragedigital
4000+ Posts
4000+ Posts

Post by ragedigital »

In a nutshell, the frame is "steel". Yes, it can be polished. However, it will need a clear coat applied as soon as possible as it will flash rust.

I prefer the frames being painted black. Looks modern without all the hassle.

Thanks for joining and participating in the most "active" FZR Community on the internet!
mrfreeze5
Level 8.0
Level 8.0

Post by mrfreeze5 »

95FZR600 wrote:
mrfreeze5 wrote:
95FZR600 wrote:Put a magnet to your bike. If it sticks then its metal if it dont then you can most likely polish it.

So if its not magnetic, its not metal?

If she weighs the same as a duck, is she a witch? :grinnod:

I have seen a few polished steel frames. One looked REALLY good since it had a good clearcoat over it. The other one was orange from flash rusting :D.

You know what I meant. :headscratch: I think what he meant was the polished look of the aluminum frames like the 99-02 R6's and or FZR 400's. And you wont get that from a FZR 600 being metal. Does that sound better? :cheers:

Oh I understood, I was just being snarky :king
ragedigital
4000+ Posts
4000+ Posts

Post by ragedigital »

95FZR600 wrote:And you wont get that from a FZR 600 being metal. Does that sound better?
The confusion is in the word "metal". Both aluminum and steel are metals. You meant to say that an FZR600 frame is "steel", not just a "metal".

I think Freeze won $20, in a bet, for using "snarky" in a post today.
Thanks for joining and participating in the most "active" FZR Community on the internet!
mrfreeze5
Level 8.0
Level 8.0

Post by mrfreeze5 »

Actually it is not an uncommon word in my vocabulary :D
cntryboy85
Level 3.0
Level 3.0

Post by cntryboy85 »

I polished my frame took me a weekend to do it and a week to realize that i couldnt keep the rust off of it. I went back stipped the polish off rough sanded and painted it black. The red and black or blue and black look really nice on the bikes
ragedigital
4000+ Posts
4000+ Posts

Post by ragedigital »

cntryboy85 wrote:I polished my frame took me a weekend to do it and a week to realize that i couldnt keep the rust off of it. I went back stipped the polish off rough sanded and painted it black. The red and black or blue and black look really nice on the bikes
IMO, the black is also easier to touch up if it ever gets chipped.
cntryboy85
Level 3.0
Level 3.0

Post by cntryboy85 »

it is pretty easy to touch up just sux because there is still a little bit of polish left on the frame from spots where i couldn't get in so every now and again i have to touch it back up and the heal guards are the worst. at least once a week i have to repaint them because i rub it off with my boots.
thatkid
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Post by thatkid »

cntryboy85 wrote:it is pretty easy to touch up just sux because there is still a little bit of polish left on the frame from spots where i couldn't get in so every now and again i have to touch it back up and the heal guards are the worst. at least once a week i have to repaint them because i rub it off with my boots.

Time to get some powder coated ones. :whistle
Do YOU Scopper?

"When some people cry, it's not because they’re weak. It’s because they’ve been strong for far too long."
cntryboy85
Level 3.0
Level 3.0

Post by cntryboy85 »

i would like to do that but i am going to be in japan in 8 months. hoping to bring it with me and do some riding out there and try and find parts for it real cheap like. come home in 2 years with a lot better bike...lol.
reelrazor
Wrench
Wrench

Post by reelrazor »

actually there are many colors and variations of patina compounds...for steel and other (ahem) metals...

http://www.sculptnouveau.com/

Might be you could do something that stands apart from the crowd
http://www.michiganmobileservice.com/

“A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.”-Douglas Adams

http://www.youtube.com/user/reelrazor
cntryboy85
Level 3.0
Level 3.0

Post by cntryboy85 »

once i get the money together i am going to look at trying to find a set of non-damaged plastics i know it isnt going to be easy. have them professionaly painted cobalt blue with silver flake the frame powder coated black the rims powder coated blue and black in same design that i have them painted now. would like to find another donor engine and start ripping it apart and working it over and try to get a little more power out of it. i like the idea the guy on here had about fuel injection but idk if that is a good rout for these bikes. but wouldnt mind picking up a bigger bike for long rides with the wife.