bike wraps

Moderators: Site Director, FZR Forum Moderators

Huckleberry
100+ Posts
100+ Posts

bike wraps

Post by Huckleberry »

Looking at these www.trackwraps.com Anyone have any experience with these or know someone who does? Just wondering how they hold up and how good they stick.
WNY ROGO
Level 2.5
Level 2.5

Re: bike wraps

Post by WNY ROGO »

I seen that shit on the archives, was wondering about it, looks cool, and they say it hods together fairings that have cracks. Cool stuff...
...ROGO...
1993 Yamaha Fzr 600-RIP
Stock

1990 Yamaha Fzr 600-Current
Mods
Updated R6 Voltage Regulator/Rectifier
Flush mount Front Signals
R6 Headers Modded By That-Kid
Leo Vince R6 Highmount Exhaust
520 Chain and Sprocket Conversion
YZF600R Front End Swap
Front and Rear YZF600R Brake Swap
YZF600R Swingarm Swap
92 Fzr Single Upper
8000k HID Headlight Kit
95 YZF600R Gauge Cluster
02 R6 Tail, Fender Eliminator and Intergrated Tailight
YZF600R Gas Tank
Rear Tire Hugger

http://www.myspace.com/rogo420
facebook---Andrew Rogo Rogowski
Fzr Forum===WnyRogo93Fzr
thatkid
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Post by thatkid »

Haven't seen that one but a recent super streetbike did an article on the www.thinairconcepts.com I believe they are a bit more though.
Do YOU Scopper?

"When some people cry, it's not because they’re weak. It’s because they’ve been strong for far too long."
megaloxana
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Post by megaloxana »

Could also try your local vinyl shop too.
'92 FZR 600
Airtech R1 kit \*/ 520 conversion \*/ 14F-47R gearing
K&N pod filters \*/ Stage 3 jet kit \*/ Factory Pro shift kit \*/ Full V&H SS exhaust
Custom '02 R6 undertail \*/ YZF gas tank \*/ Raised via dogbones \*/ custom flush turnsignals
Full R6 brake set-up \*/ SS lines \*/ Progressive fork springs \*/ ZX2 coilpack

ADD YOURSELF TO THE OFFICIAL FZRONLINE GOOGLE EARTH MAP :bunny :banjoman
shift
Level 1.5
Level 1.5

Post by shift »

i have a few friends who have them and seem to like them a lot. much easier than a custom paint job for sure. no word on durability yet...
..........................................................shitf.............................c3po...................next.victim............................................................
to see some of my ride videos, click the link: http://video.google.com/videosearch?q=b ... oogle.com#
may 2009: my 88 fzr 400 sets a speed record at the maxton mile: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlOk-6aUsKc
Luke-a-Tron
Level 2.0
Level 2.0

Post by Luke-a-Tron »

They should be every bit as durable, if not more so than paint. I used to work at sign shop and have a lot of experience with vinyl applications. There are different grades and oddly, the thinner stuff is generally better (tougher, more UV resistant, shinier, more intense color). 3M makes the best stuff but it's also the most expensive. They're actually using this material on commercial jets because it's more durable and surprisingly, lighter than paint. Apparently it takes thousands of pounds of paint to cover a plane and every pound of paint is a pound of paying customer you can't carry.

If you're just looking for a solid color, you might be able to better price-wise by going to a local sign shop. The stuff comes in 13" and 28" rolls IIRC (it's been a while). I'd recommend the 13" wide stuff as it's a bit unwieldy to work with (it's a huge piece of tape essentially). I don't know how much you'll need but I think you could buy a full 100 ft roll for less than what they're selling 4 2'x4' panels at. Maybe you can get a couple people to go in together on it?
Huckleberry
100+ Posts
100+ Posts

Post by Huckleberry »

thnx luke ill definately try that. yeah prob just one color
megaloxana
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Post by megaloxana »

Installation seems like it would be hard. I can be a perfectionist and my track record with tape isn't great.

On a side note..Luke-a-tron, where have you been?!?
'92 FZR 600
Airtech R1 kit \*/ 520 conversion \*/ 14F-47R gearing
K&N pod filters \*/ Stage 3 jet kit \*/ Factory Pro shift kit \*/ Full V&H SS exhaust
Custom '02 R6 undertail \*/ YZF gas tank \*/ Raised via dogbones \*/ custom flush turnsignals
Full R6 brake set-up \*/ SS lines \*/ Progressive fork springs \*/ ZX2 coilpack

ADD YOURSELF TO THE OFFICIAL FZRONLINE GOOGLE EARTH MAP :bunny :banjoman
Luke-a-Tron
Level 2.0
Level 2.0

Post by Luke-a-Tron »

Working and generally tending to adulthood. I wish there was a more interesting reason but no.

Installation will likely be fairly bitchy. Normally the way it's done is a very wide piece of something similar to masking tape is applied to the top of the vinyl graphics while they're still attached to the backing paper. you position everything just right and make sort of a tape hinge along one side (this keeps everything in place while allowing you to mess with the backing paper). You then flip the whole thing up and start peeling back the paper from the "hinged" side first. You move along gradually pushing any air bubbles out from underneath until all the vinyl and masking tape is stuck to your application surface. You then peel off the masking tape leaving the vinyl behind.

Now this method would be pretty pointless here because it's just a solid piece. The whole reason you do it when making signs is to keep all the separate pieces in line with each other. The stuff is very staticy and will try pretty hard to stick to itself. If you touch sticky side to sticky side, forget about it, you're not getting them apart without totally ruining the vinyl. Furthermore, you're going to have to custom cut the stuff as you apply it so it doesn't wrinkle as you work around the compound curves of the body. If you're a perfectionist, you're probably not going to be satisfied with the results. If you're some one who beats on their bike hard (track days, stunting), this might be worthwhile. You'll get an acceptable finish that's easy to fix quickly.

3M makes a product called Clear Bra which is just clear vinyl. I assume you can get just square pieces or whatever but I've always seen it sold precut for specific vehicles. The idea is that you apply it areas that take a lot of abuse (front bumper, leading edge of the hood, side mirrors) to protect from rock chips and the like. When it's applied correctly you can barely see it. Something like this might be good for the lower part of the fairing right behind the front tire.

If perfection is your target, stick with paint though.
Jrdn223
Site Newbie

Post by Jrdn223 »

Vehicle Wraps are one part of what my company specializes in. The vinyl 3M is putting out now, as well as the protective overlaminate is some real good stuff. Wrapped bikes look amazing when designed and installed properly. By no means is it a simple install if you don't have any prior vinyl experience.
loki32687
Site Newbie

Post by loki32687 »

I'd love to do this on my bike but I'd definitely need help applying it
My first bike...89 FZR600R
biff10
Site Newbie

Post by biff10 »

I would do that on my bike. I had it on a truck and it held up real good. Dodge trucks were known for the paint fading out.
1992 FZR 600 black
Section_59
Site Newbie

Post by Section_59 »

I've used vinyl on 2 bikes now

Sold that bike before actually putting the camel logo on

And the camo on this bike

Nice and cheap alternative, not all that hard to do, its just frustrating, getting air bubbles, having to pull it back off a bit, lay it back down, get another air bubble and so on so on 3 steps forward 1 step backwards, the Yellow CBR 600 F3 i got for free and the FZR Camo cost me about £18 for materials
1991 Yamaha FZR 1000 Exup Build From the Frame up
>> 1000 Exup Frame
>> Honda Bros 400 Single Sided Swingarm