My custom 250 2kr

Moderators: Site Director, FZR Forum Moderators

88FZR250
Site Newbie

My custom 250 2kr

Post by 88FZR250 »

I decided I wanted to do this one day when I went to go for a ride. Every panel had damage and it just looked so old and tired, poor thing. Tank cover got blown off the bench I had it on and suffered a big dent. Bike slid off the stand - cracked the side plastic. The fairings were damaged when I got the bike anyway.

This is what I started with:

I painted the frame gloss black, stator and engine covers satin black and the headers flat black. I did the rocker cover in red. I reckoned it looked better. I left it like this for a while. Has a few stone chips now but still good.
1988 FZR250 2KR. Snowflake pearl paint, A blend of Aprilia/custom/oem panel work,Ninja 250R mirrors, R1and FZ6 led indicators, blue led underlighting, Daily ridden over 50,000 km and still running strong.
88FZR250
Site Newbie

Re: My custom 250 2kr

Post by 88FZR250 »

Before I started:
painted frame:
Further down the track I got an RS250 tail
Got a pair of damaged primer fairings. I plan to keep all of the original parts, so I'm deliberately getting broken used panels as I'm going to be cutting and glassing them how I want. My bike had been dropped before I got it and its missing all the fairing brackets. I have most of them now, I'm fixing and painting the fairings before they go on my bike.
Flat black 2kr sides
And this is where I should have done my research lol
RS tail with FZR sides. At this stage it was just test fit to see how it would all fit
Then I started glassing. I made a mold clay and lined it with tin foil. My mistake was I didn't glass it all the way around the tail.
Filler and then primer
Put it on the bike
1988 FZR250 2KR. Snowflake pearl paint, A blend of Aprilia/custom/oem panel work,Ninja 250R mirrors, R1and FZ6 led indicators, blue led underlighting, Daily ridden over 50,000 km and still running strong.
88FZR250
Site Newbie

Post by 88FZR250 »

The fiberglass top broke off. I should have glassed it all the way around the tail. This time I used expanding foam - the white stuff. Cut it to the shape I wanted. Then this time I glassed over it, all the way to the line where the tail curves underneath. Much stronger. I have ridden over 2,000 km and no cracks. Fiberglass and filler over the rear seat. Its super rough in the pic as I was just making the basic shape.
It was now I decided I wanted one solid tail. I used expanding foam, fiberglass and spray putty. This is it starting to take shape
Got another tank cover. Its still in primer as I've put most of the effort into the tail.
Got the tail done in primer

And then base coat. I painted it Snowflake Pearl.
Pearl layer next
Masked out the stripes. Since this is a modern tail, I'm doing a modern paint scheme and colors.
https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/ ... 6485_n.jpg
Clear coat - needs a cut n buff, don't mind the fly - its not actually in the clear coat lol
And now on my bike.
Got some smoked black led lights and made a tail tidy. This is how it is currently. I also got some Ninja 250R mirrors and painted them.
Form and function, can see more in them than stock FZR ones.

Waiting on the weather so I can do the tank and side and front fairings.
88FZR250
Site Newbie

Post by 88FZR250 »

As anyone with 250 knows, parts can be a bitch to come by. I got what I could and what I could not get I improvised. I managed to get faring brackets on the left side. Unfortunately the right side with the choke the bracket was broken. Cue JB weld, some steel and a big screw. Have some other metal for the lower mount. Will tidy them up a bit and paint them celestial blue (that light blue/green metallic I used for the stripes).
My mount - the metal is just holding it together while the JB dries.

I'm thinking of cutting the fairings - that's what the blue tape is for. Its just an idea not sure if I'm going to do it or not yet.
ragedigital
4000+ Posts
4000+ Posts

Post by ragedigital »

:thumbsup: Gonna keep an eye on this. Looking good!
Thanks for joining and participating in the most "active" FZR Community on the internet!
Genesis
Level 8.0
Level 8.0

Post by Genesis »

Looking real good. I had thought about using great stuff, nice to see it worked out. I know from experience how hard it is to match different fairings up.:wink:

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2
1990 Yamaha FZR600 Genesis, Daily Driver
My FZR6 Rebuild

1985 GMC 4x4 T-15 X-Cab Sierra
1999 Chevy 4x4 Blazer (wifes car)

"If a man can build it, I can take it apart and sometimes even put it back together and fix it" --Unknown

"'I wish none of this had happened.' 'So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us.....'" J.R.R. Tolkien
88FZR250
Site Newbie

Post by 88FZR250 »

Damn site keeps logging me out when I'm trying to post stuff and its really pissing me off. Anyway the latest
re did the clear on the tail as I was picky and wanted it to really shine. 5 thick coats later.........
Side fairings

All on the bike now. Cant find the pics. Also painting a tank once I fix all the pin dents. Have another headlight fairing which i'm customizing and I'm doing a healight swap on as well.
greasemeup
50+ Posts
50+ Posts

Post by greasemeup »

That tail is awesome, brings the bike styling a nice update. Well done!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Genesis
Level 8.0
Level 8.0

Post by Genesis »

Nice paint job! Looks really good.

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2
1990 Yamaha FZR600 Genesis, Daily Driver
My FZR6 Rebuild

1985 GMC 4x4 T-15 X-Cab Sierra
1999 Chevy 4x4 Blazer (wifes car)

"If a man can build it, I can take it apart and sometimes even put it back together and fix it" --Unknown

"'I wish none of this had happened.' 'So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us.....'" J.R.R. Tolkien
88FZR250
Site Newbie

Post by 88FZR250 »

Currently. fade is a little high up on the fairing for my liking. Overall happy with it for now. Want to do an R1/R6/R15/R125 headlight fairing conversion.
greasemeup
50+ Posts
50+ Posts

Post by greasemeup »

How come I ca see all photos except the ones in post 10?

88FZR250
Site Newbie

Post by 88FZR250 »

Dunno. Should have worked; pics are off my FB, this is them again.

I broke my speedo cable yesterday. Getting another one. Have a Koso RX2 gauge coming and I got a full set of damaged R1 fairing parts, mostly under the house. Gonna try stick this on the front of the 250. Don't know how I'm gonna fit it though.
88FZR250
Site Newbie

Post by 88FZR250 »

okay this is dumb. I should have pics, done it the same way as the others, they should show up.
greasemeup
50+ Posts
50+ Posts

Post by greasemeup »

Never mind. Remember to put up more as you go;)