My first ever complete paint attempt

Moderators: Site Director, FZR Forum Moderators

mmoore005
Site Newbie

My first ever complete paint attempt

Post by mmoore005 »

Hello, I'm new to motorcycles and this forum, and just figured I'd post something instead of snooping around unannounced. I bought my first bike (1995 FZR600) and it had a semi-decent grey paint job to it with no decals or stickers. I decided to paint it purple, but quickly gave up when it didn't turn out the way I wanted it to.
I rode this purple-ish grey piece of crap for a while, and got enough insults, so I decided to just make up a theme and actually give this paint job some effort.
This is what I ended up with. I don't think it's too bad for my first attempt; I suppose I was just looking for feedback on it.
(I really messed up on the mirrors, and decided to just sand them down; I'm purchasing new ones on saturday. so just ignore them lol )

I also decided to paint the headers orange, but as they heated up, the color oddly changed to yellow.
yamaha_george
5000+ Posts
5000+ Posts

Re: My first ever complete paint attempt

Post by yamaha_george »

Hi,
well for a first off that looks pretty good. Very sensible to add the orange to the dark surround at least you stand some chance of being seen by cage drivers.

The pipes heat to about 400 degrees so you need a high heat paint ie BBQ grill paint.

If you take them off to spray paint have a propane torch handy to heat the pipes up first then thin coat the pipes at least twice .

If you do it on the bike run the engine and be sure to mask off every thing else or you various bits will end up with rash of black spots (any breeze will carry paint spray several yards so do t well away form the neighbours car ! (do not ask how I know this LoL)
mmoore005
Site Newbie

Re: My first ever complete paint attempt

Post by mmoore005 »

Thanks, I'm glad you think it looks pretty good :p I actually used header paint, but I was really impatient and sprayed quick coats and the weather wasn't exactly fit for spray painting. I'll eventually take them off and give it another shot.