Frame sliders!!!!!!!!!, The only type that work for the FZR

Moderators: Site Director, FZR Forum Moderators

yamaha_george
5000+ Posts
5000+ Posts

Re: Frame sliders!!!!!!!!!, The only type that work for the FZR

Post by yamaha_george »

thatkid wrote:Please don't double post. Part of why this site runs so well is it's kept streamlined compared to the archives. No need for the same post in two threads.
Hi,
as stated the double post is not required and as such I have deleted it.

As to the design quite neat but as I have mentioned in this thread & elsewhere there should be no long horizontal bits at all as these will dig in to the road surface (et al) due to the mass of the bike.

Once that bit digs in you have the bike mass trying to rip away at the join IE the frame thus defeating the purpose of the slider.
If you were able to make the front section join as close to the tube and tab idea at the back it would be a better, with the front tube being curved to reduce "dig in"

As to the overall design protecting more of the bike it is in my humble opinion better than others I have seen.
live.strong6
Site Newbie

Post by live.strong6 »

Apologies for the double post and good point about straight tubes. I think sliders would help reduce the possibility of the tube digging in but eliminating them altogether would be preferable. Thanks for the reply!
yamaha_george
5000+ Posts
5000+ Posts

Post by yamaha_george »

live.strong6 wrote:Apologies for the double post and good point about straight tubes. I think sliders would help reduce the possibility of the tube digging in but eliminating them altogether would be preferable. Thanks for the reply!

LS6,
no problem we like to keep it orderly here as everyone visiting wants to get an answer. The members include (& you in this) quite an innovative bunch.

The plastic sliders although they do wear down & reduce friction in a crash also add to the length sticking out of the bike, which is counter productive by providing MORE leverage against the join of crash bar & frame.
(Think kids see saw with and adult & a kid on it. The adult can sit real close to the pivot and the child at the very end to get a balance.)

I hope you pursue this idea of yours it has the makings of getting there. My pal had not retired or I would be making not preaching but alas I now have no workshop as I am also retired.
zero9243
Level 8.5
Level 8.5

Post by zero9243 »

Also, I created frame sliders in my build as well.

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=938&start=135
Upgrades:
  • Barnett Clutch------------------------------------------R6 Blue Dots, Front Master Brake Cylinder+Reservoir
    WP Adjustable Rear Shock----------------------------Vortex 520 Conversion with RK GB520GXW Chain
    V&H Header (4-1)--------------------------------------Swingarm Spool Mounts
    Cobra F1r Exhaust Can--------------------------------R6 Voltage Regulator
    Flo-Commander with Remote-------------------------Custom Airtech Passenger Seat
    Stage 7 Jet kit with Diffuser Caps--------------------Factory Pro Nickel Emulsion Tubes
    Wiseco 630 Kit------------------------------------------Custom Frame Slider Mounts
    Modking Hydraulic Clutch Kit--------------------------Hella Projection Headlight with Xentec HID Kit (H9 Bulb)
    Modking Aluminum Radiator Overflow Bottle--------

thatkid
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Post by thatkid »

zero9243 wrote:Also, I created frame sliders in my build as well.

Always with this "I" stuff. Sheesh!
Do YOU Scopper?

"When some people cry, it's not because they’re weak. It’s because they’ve been strong for far too long."
zero9243
Level 8.5
Level 8.5

Post by zero9243 »

thatkid wrote:
zero9243 wrote:Also, I created frame sliders in my build as well.

Always with this "I" stuff. Sheesh!
Didn't mean it like that. People probably assume you did it, in essence it was a team effort. I <3 you Nate
Upgrades:
  • Barnett Clutch------------------------------------------R6 Blue Dots, Front Master Brake Cylinder+Reservoir
    WP Adjustable Rear Shock----------------------------Vortex 520 Conversion with RK GB520GXW Chain
    V&H Header (4-1)--------------------------------------Swingarm Spool Mounts
    Cobra F1r Exhaust Can--------------------------------R6 Voltage Regulator
    Flo-Commander with Remote-------------------------Custom Airtech Passenger Seat
    Stage 7 Jet kit with Diffuser Caps--------------------Factory Pro Nickel Emulsion Tubes
    Wiseco 630 Kit------------------------------------------Custom Frame Slider Mounts
    Modking Hydraulic Clutch Kit--------------------------Hella Projection Headlight with Xentec HID Kit (H9 Bulb)
    Modking Aluminum Radiator Overflow Bottle--------

Brutal Tooth
50+ Posts
50+ Posts

Post by Brutal Tooth »

Last edited by Brutal Tooth on Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
thatkid
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Post by thatkid »

Brutal Tooth wrote:I sure as hell won't put cage over my fairings. Also, with finches idea, the rest of the bike can still grind away at the handle bar ends instead of the lower cowling.

Then you will have jacked up fairings when the bike goes down. Sliders can help prevent some damage but don't offer complete protections. Good on the track or open areas but if your bike goes down in the city or a busy road, the fairings are going to nail something.
Do YOU Scopper?

"When some people cry, it's not because they’re weak. It’s because they’ve been strong for far too long."
mrfreeze5
Level 8.0
Level 8.0

Post by mrfreeze5 »

Ive got a set of TK's crash rails on mine and I love them. i dont know if I would trust them in a high speed crash, but I dont think Id trust any slider on the FZR in a high speed crash. But these have paid for themselves already for me. Ive been riding more than driving this winter, and while the roads are usually clear, the alley by my house is usually shady and iced over as is most areas that are shady most of the day. Ive slip and dropped my bike 3 times on ice this winter. Twice while walked beside it in the alley and I slipped, and once when my foot slipped out from under me trying to back out through an ice patch on a side hill, trying to push uphill. Every time, the bike laid over on the slider on the rail and sat on the peg and my rear spools. Nothing else touches the ground, even my muffler clears. In a wreck, if it tumbles, its done, but for drops or slips, it works wonders. Even though I was only walking or standing still, the damage done by those slips would have bee enough to SEVERLY piss me off. So far, the only appreciable damage from a tip over came from me trying to grab the bar to hold it up, and I either weakened or loosened the bar end bolt, and my bar end and mirror fell off going over a train track a few miles later.
Brutal Tooth
50+ Posts
50+ Posts

Post by Brutal Tooth »

Last edited by Brutal Tooth on Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
thatkid
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Post by thatkid »

yeah.....having the cage under the fairings kind of defeats the purpose. Your fairings will still get boned in a decent crash. Probably more so since they'd push against the cage.
Do YOU Scopper?

Brutal Tooth
50+ Posts
50+ Posts

Post by Brutal Tooth »