Frame Polishing

Moderators: Site Director, FZR Forum Moderators

ragedigital
4000+ Posts
4000+ Posts

Re: Frame Polishing

Post by ragedigital »

**THREAD HIJACKING IN PROGRESS!
cntryboy85 wrote:once i get the money together...but wouldnt mind picking up a bigger bike for long rides with the wife.
Let me be the voice of reason - buy a newer bike. I only say that because a lot of people, including myself, get wrapped up in projects for their FZR that quickly cost more than a newer bike would. I ended up selling my 2 FZRs and purchasing a newer motorcycle. I had nice fairings, fuel injection, USD forks, radial master cylinder, the tire choices were endless, etc...
Thanks for joining and participating in the most "active" FZR Community on the internet!
old_school
Level 8.0
Level 8.0

Post by old_school »

ragedigital wrote:**THREAD HIJACKING IN PROGRESS!

Let me be the voice of reason - buy a newer bike. I only say that because a lot of people, including myself, get wrapped up in projects for their FZR that quickly cost more than a newer bike would. I ended up selling my 2 FZRs and purchasing a newer motorcycle. I had nice fairings, fuel injection, USD forks, radial master cylinder, the tire choices were endless, etc...
I think we all agree with that statement! But it's a fun way to pass the time! :headbang:
NO FZR :(
05 Yamaha R1
03 Harley Fatboy
what's next?
yamaha_george
5000+ Posts
5000+ Posts

Post by yamaha_george »

cntryboy85 wrote:it is pretty easy to touch up just sux because there is still a little bit of polish left on the frame from spots where i couldn't get in so every now and again i have to touch it back up and the heal guards are the worst. at least once a week i have to repaint them because i rub it off with my boots.
The heel guards should be alloy and polished to glean like chrome see:-

http://www.saltmine.org.uk/fzr/swingarm.html

and

http://www.saltmine.org.uk/fzr/3tj-mod.html

I modified them further by cutting fancy holes in them
cntryboy85
Level 3.0
Level 3.0

Post by cntryboy85 »

i had them polished nice but they just didnt fit because i dont have anything else polished so i did away with them.
tclayton9
Level 2.5
Level 2.5

Post by tclayton9 »

Can you paint the frame with the engine and other components on the bike?
DonTZ125

Post by DonTZ125 »

Yes, but you won't do as good of a job, especially on the inside of the spars, Also, you have to mask off everything to prevent overspray.

Not that this stops some people ... screwy
tclayton9
Level 2.5
Level 2.5

Post by tclayton9 »

Oh. My frame looks ashy as hell and I wanted to live it up a bit. Too bad I can't polish the still frame banghead
cntryboy85
Level 3.0
Level 3.0

Post by cntryboy85 »

tclayton9 wrote:Oh. My frame looks ashy as hell and I wanted to live it up a bit. Too bad I can't polish the still frame banghead
you can polish it but it takes a while and you have to clear coat the crap out of it. i did mine and had it polished for about a month or so and just got tired of it. use easy off to peal most of the factory clear coat. then rough sand work your way to 2000 grit and i used mothers mag and aluminum polish. and then used clear coat for wheels and tires. it is a lot of work it took me about 10 hours one night to do it.