The $100 paint job.

Moderators: Site Director, FZR Forum Moderators

bucket
100+ Posts
100+ Posts

The $100 paint job.

Post by bucket »

All right my $100 paint job!
So this is pretty simple , you want to start out by sanding all the plastics with 400 grit sand paper, I like to wet sand seams to keep the paint from clogging the paper and there’s no dust! Until it dries.
Once you have a nice service clean it, with some type of surface cleaner or Kleaner, I used this.
Grow Kleaner 1705. Don’t get over exited let it dry if you move on to the next step without letting it dry it will crinkle and then you get to start over.
Once it dries, I like to give it a good 20 minutes. Then I shoot some SEM high build primer. OK you can use the crap from home depot but its not half as good, you should only need one can or so.
This will fill any small imperfections, and then you sand it again! with 400 grit. When you pick your color get a primer that is near that color, this will get you closest to the color you want your base coat effects how your final coat looks.
Once its sanded you clean it again with the Grow Klean 1705 let it dry and then hit it with the final paint, this is the cheap part. Krylon Fusion for plastic. Don’t get the Krylon from the auto paint shop it’s got to be the worst paint ever and the most expensive this is where you buy from home depot. You don’t have to buy the plastic paint if you have a good base coat of primer. They just happened to have it in the color I wanted. You can get custom colors from your paint shop but if you don’t know anything about paint talk to them, when you go with anything with a clean coat, metallic, or pearl your coast will go up a lot.
When you’re done you get this!
I found the Krylon paint kind of soft when it was dry, so I pulled out the wax I used some Mothers.
It gives it a bit more protection, but not much, my tank got a little scratched up from my jacket but it’s not a show bike and looks pretty good.
If I have made any mistakes let me know and any input would be great!
:yutugh2:
megaloxana
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Re: The $100 paint job.

Post by megaloxana »

nice i was waiting for you to get this done. Got any pictures of the paint close up? Did you get any orange peel?
'92 FZR 600
Airtech R1 kit \*/ 520 conversion \*/ 14F-47R gearing
K&N pod filters \*/ Stage 3 jet kit \*/ Factory Pro shift kit \*/ Full V&H SS exhaust
Custom '02 R6 undertail \*/ YZF gas tank \*/ Raised via dogbones \*/ custom flush turnsignals
Full R6 brake set-up \*/ SS lines \*/ Progressive fork springs \*/ ZX2 coilpack

ADD YOURSELF TO THE OFFICIAL FZRONLINE GOOGLE EARTH MAP :bunny :banjoman
demon_knight69
Level 4.5
Level 4.5

Post by demon_knight69 »

from looking at the paint in person, i did not notice any orange peel whatsoever. he's got some scratches over the last couple weeks on the tank cover due to his jacket when tucked in behind the fairing, so may need a clear coat or some polish, but other than that it looks great. i am a real big fan of satin paint jobs, his is satin white and my plan is to go for satin black (even though it'll be hot as hell in the summertime).

hopefully i'll be doing most of this same work within the next week or so (since i've got TONS of plastics now) :headbang:
1996 FZR 600
Custom exhaust made from R6 header and GSXR600 end pipe
K&N Pods
Barnett Clutch
Factory Pro shift kit
Needs paint and on her way to being a streetfighter
bucket
100+ Posts
100+ Posts

Post by bucket »

I wanted a satin finish and you don't put a clean on satin, I haven't messed with any high end satin fishes so I don't know how well they hold up against scratches. The first paint I tried was a Krylno from the auto paint shop payed about $7 a can and it had really bad orange peal, that's why you should stay away from it. If you want a good hard coat of paint and a descent shine you can have a paint shop mix a can of whats called signal phase paint its a color with the clear mixed in with it, you can get a good shine out of it if you wet sand it with 2000 grit paper the buff it out with a rubbing compound. this is how the custom guys get crazy shiny and smooth paint. Very time consuming but worth it if its a show peace. :thumbsup:

Paint out of a can is ok on small parts but when you start getting in to things like hoods it takes more work then what it worth, but can be done.
myimpala88
50+ Posts
50+ Posts

Post by myimpala88 »

Did you take all the plastics off for paint? Did you end up taking off the tank? Any pictures of what you taped off? I'm in the process of possibly painting my bike but I want it to be done before it gets too warm out so I'm wondering what kind of time line I'm looking at.
1994 FZR 1000
bucket
100+ Posts
100+ Posts

Post by bucket »

I pulled all the plastics off, this is the best way to do it. its easier then taping things off. It only took about 2 weeks to do but it really depends on how much work you put in to it. I did do some of the sanding with them on just to have a stable surface to work with.
FizzNation
50+ Posts
50+ Posts

Post by FizzNation »

i think im going to paint my bike. Im going to go with like flat white i think. The good old satin white storm trooper style
aar0n
Site Newbie

Post by aar0n »

Thank you so much. I was looking for an inexpensive way to paint my bike. I'm sure a shop would want an arm and a leg. I will probably be painting my bike very similar to this soon, that sanding is the most important and time consuming part. I will post pics when I am finished. :banana:
tampaFZR600
Level 4.0
Level 4.0

Post by tampaFZR600 »

aar0n wrote:Thank you so much. I was looking for an inexpensive way to paint my bike. I'm sure a shop would want an arm and a leg. I will probably be painting my bike very similar to this soon, that sanding is the most important and time consuming part. I will post pics when I am finished. :banana:
yup, painting is all in the preping!
FZR 600 "bring back to life" project.... SHE LIVES!!!
FZR manual---->> http://commline.com/FZR/600/MANUAL/
jong22250
Site Newbie

Post by jong22250 »

i know this post is old but if your looking to protect your spray job and you want to keep the satin look spray your clear coat on there and wet sand with 2000 grit paper till it is a smooth and do not buff it out just apply your wax you are left with a hard clear that has a satin look
painterjohn
Site Newbie

Post by painterjohn »

hmmm... Guess i should chuck out all this high dollar paint crap, and stock up on rattle cans!!! that looks pretty dang good man!
how does it hold up to fuel spills?
to design a bike is nothing, to build it is something, to ride it butt naked at over 150mph with 2 mexican hookers is everything - Otto Von Lillintraup
gogofizzpow
Level 1.5
Level 1.5
Location: Europe, California, Georgia, Belgium (yes, this is not part of the 1st one)

Post by gogofizzpow »

Sounds right with the Krylon though. Thats stuff has always been solf for me... I had better luck with the duplicolor for a while. But now Im using this Euro stuff and Im spoiled...
'96 FZR600
-Stainless brake lines, K&N Filter Pods, R6 front calipers, R6 Front and rear Master cylinder, Factory Pro Stg 1 Jetkit, R6 Headers (TK), '08 R6 Rear shock w/ adjustable dogbones (RR), Airtech R1 kit (and all the mods that go with that), Home made 5 d ignition advance, YZF600r D&D Modified short can with R6 mid pipe, Progressive rate front suspension, YZF600r Swingarm/wheel, 520 14/45, 47, 48 Sprockets, China's rearsets, YZF600r modified undertray, Cheap battery mod so I can run lay flat glass matts, And anything else I become compulsive enough to do to her...
-FOR SALE- *sniff sniff*
ragedigital
4000+ Posts
4000+ Posts

Post by ragedigital »

Krylon takes a long time to harden - like a week. Duplicolor is pricey, but has nice metallic colors. Too bad most of the cool colors only come in those touch-up cans.
painterjohn wrote:Guess i should chuck out all this high dollar paint crap, and stock up on rattle cans!!! that looks pretty dang good man!
how does it hold up to fuel spills?
Hold on to your "high dollar crap". Krylon and most the other cheap paints do not hold up to any solvents and will run if gas is spilled on them.

I used SprayMax 2K Clearcoat Aerosol for my clear coat and although it was tricky to getting a smooth coat really hardened well and resisted gas spills. It's expensive too at $20 a can.
Thanks for joining and participating in the most "active" FZR Community on the internet!
gogofizzpow
Level 1.5
Level 1.5
Location: Europe, California, Georgia, Belgium (yes, this is not part of the 1st one)

Post by gogofizzpow »

Yeah he's right, most rattle can paints seem to lack to propper amount of hardener to properly be both easy to use and leave a lasting finish. If your going to use them, do like he says and invest in a good clear coat, or else youll end up with your paint all over you jacket after a good twisty ride. I've seen it happen, its sad...
'96 FZR600
-Stainless brake lines, K&N Filter Pods, R6 front calipers, R6 Front and rear Master cylinder, Factory Pro Stg 1 Jetkit, R6 Headers (TK), '08 R6 Rear shock w/ adjustable dogbones (RR), Airtech R1 kit (and all the mods that go with that), Home made 5 d ignition advance, YZF600r D&D Modified short can with R6 mid pipe, Progressive rate front suspension, YZF600r Swingarm/wheel, 520 14/45, 47, 48 Sprockets, China's rearsets, YZF600r modified undertray, Cheap battery mod so I can run lay flat glass matts, And anything else I become compulsive enough to do to her...
-FOR SALE- *sniff sniff*