Help needed: IDEAS FOR THE WIKI

Moderators: Site Director, FZR Forum Moderators

ragedigital
4000+ Posts
4000+ Posts

Help needed: IDEAS FOR THE WIKI

Post by ragedigital »

Please list the ideas you have for the WIKI. I know that we can probably gather a lot of information for the WIKI from the Archives main page.

Please reply to this thread with ideas.

Thanks,

darrin
Thanks for joining and participating in the most "active" FZR Community on the internet!
tommyj27
Level 9.5
Level 9.5

Re: Help needed: IDEAS FOR THE WIKI

Post by tommyj27 »

Not so much a content idea as it is a thought for participation in the wiki. Looking at the wiki as it is right now, it appears that you only want designated editors modifying the wiki. In that regard, it would seem that you're trying to make a Content Management System (CMS) out of a Wiki; the difference being that a wiki is generally thought of as a collaborative work, whereas a CMS is managed by a small group.

I assume the thought process is that by having only editors making changes, the accuracy of the information is maintained, and we keep out the riff-raff. If this structure is what everyone would like, I'll shut up about it. In that case, I think the best long term solution for us would be an open source CMS such as Joomla to manage all of our reference pages.

If we want to stay with a wiki (my personal preference), I would propose allowing/encouraging anyone to make edits as they see fit. The task of the editors would become more of a proofreading role, making sure that changes are relevant and accurate. This would allow content to be created quickly, since we aren't at the mercy of an editor's real world schedule. The editors would also be freed from having to generate all the content.

I would be happy with either approach. I think the collaborative wiki solution would be more effective for us, but the CMS solution will work too. I just think we should be using the right tool for the job.

My .02
ragedigital
4000+ Posts
4000+ Posts

Post by ragedigital »

tommyj27 wrote:I assume the thought process is that by having only editors making changes, the accuracy of the information is maintained, and we keep out the riff-raff. If this structure is what everyone would like, I'll shut up about it. In that case, I think the best long term solution for us would be an open source CMS such as Joomla to manage all of our reference pages.

If we want to stay with a wiki (my personal preference), I would propose allowing/encouraging anyone to make edits as they see fit. The task of the editors would become more of a proofreading role, making sure that changes are relevant and accurate. This would allow content to be created quickly, since we aren't at the mercy of an editor's real world schedule. The editors would also be freed from having to generate all the content.
That's exactly what it is. The WIKI is not locked, so anyone can EDIT it. I just don't believe that we have a lot of members who are familiar with a WIKI, or the syntax, to make their own EDITs - therefore I asked for EDITORS. Two organized individuals raised their hands and I'm giving them the opportunity to get it started in the right direction.

However, the last thing I want is to take any freedom away from the members, but like WIKIpedia.com, there has to be some controls in place to secure the data from erasure or destruction.

Everyone needs to understand that I am trying to put people in roles where it will lessen the burden on me and give more control to the members of the website. This will allow me to be able to focus on more important things, like: sleep.... bandana

If you feel that you posess extra special skills in an area (other than being a MOD), please let me know. Everyone wants to be a MOD...

Great comments - keep them coming.

darrin
Thanks for joining and participating in the most "active" FZR Community on the internet!
tommyj27
Level 9.5
Level 9.5

Post by tommyj27 »

Awesome, I guess I was just reading the Introduction wrong; this statement made me think that only editors were supposed to be editing. Sorry for ranting about a nonissue
Please do not use this as a playground. If you want data entered here, please create a POST in the WIKI forum category and one of the editors will update the WIKI accordingly.
ragedigital
4000+ Posts
4000+ Posts

Post by ragedigital »

tommyj27 wrote:Awesome, I guess I was just reading the Introduction wrong; this statement made me think that only editors were supposed to be editing. Sorry for ranting about a nonissue
Listen, I'm typing so fast, I need to know when there is confusion. I will EDIT that post to clarify why I wrote that.

As of a couple days ago, there was no WIKI. The only info that was in there was from me screwing around with it. I just didn't want 30 people entering data into it until we had some structure set up.

But, please, continue to question and comment on anything...

darrin
YAM93
1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts

Post by YAM93 »

Under Fuel Tank / corrosion you might want to put POR-15 information. Here are a couple photos that may be useful. The whole thing with shipping was $51. It took about a day to do the 3 step treatment, with drying time and all. The final dry and cure was minimum 96 hours. So I basically let it cure all week, and now everything is back together and running great. When putting the fuel tank back on you do have to disconnect the airbox and move it up a couple inches though. The fuel tank and airbox fit together at the same time pretty tight. The instructions provided in the box cover all steps in great detail. Be warned, I did the first and last stage inside the house (had no choice because of rain)-- this stuff STINKS. It WILL anger your wife.
bonkonhead

" several meat-eaters lay in vomit, too weak to move..."
ragedigital
4000+ Posts
4000+ Posts

Post by ragedigital »

I used some white stuff many years ago called Kreem Fuel Tank Liner to coat the inside of a Harley tank.

Is there a difference between the two?
YAM93
1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts

Post by YAM93 »

I've heard the KREEM is a lesser product, but I don't know anyone who has used it personally. Someone posted on the Archives a while back that POR-15 was superior. I guess I'll find out as time wears on. They probably cost about the same amount.

And......... that thing someone mentioned about smileys etc. ... on the Archives (I guess they're trying to access less info. so as to confuse the server less??) there don't seem to be any more access to viewing someone's profile. However the PM's seem to be working fine. I think I'll be here more often, kind of neat building up a fresh site, or at least being witness to all the great work you guys are doing. The other thing is totally true, hopefully this "moving over" will get rid of anyone who isn't really interested or was a member years ago and hasn't used the site in years.
canofworms I finally figured out ....... this was a can of worms! I thought it was a confused octopus at first.
:shock:
ragedigital
4000+ Posts
4000+ Posts

Post by ragedigital »

YAM93 wrote:And......... that thing someone mentioned about smileys etc. ... on the Archives (I guess they're trying to access less info. so as to confuse the server less??) there don't seem to be any more access to viewing someone's profile. However the PM's seem to be working fine. I think I'll be here more often, kind of neat building up a fresh site, or at least being witness to all the great work you guys are doing. The other thing is totally true, hopefully this "moving over" will get rid of anyone who isn't really interested or was a member years ago and hasn't used the site in years.
Yeah, I noticed that there is an error with the Profile. So, if you want to PM someone, you have to find where they've replied in a thread. :duh:

We have killer bandwidth and storage, so the "smileys" get to stay!!!

We still have all the knowledge, it's in the members. That why I knew this would work from the beginning....

So stay and enjoy yourself - we're sure like having the "WRENCH" around! I need to get you a "wrench" smiley... :bunny
ShogunTX
Level 4.5
Level 4.5

Post by ShogunTX »

YAM93 wrote:Under Fuel Tank / corrosion you might want to put POR-15 information. Here are a couple photos that may be useful. The whole thing with shipping was $51. It took about a day to do the 3 step treatment, with drying time and all. The final dry and cure was minimum 96 hours. So I basically let it cure all week, and now everything is back together and running great. When putting the fuel tank back on you do have to disconnect the airbox and move it up a couple inches though. The fuel tank and airbox fit together at the same time pretty tight. The instructions provided in the box cover all steps in great detail. Be warned, I did the first and last stage inside the house (had no choice because of rain)-- this stuff STINKS. It WILL anger your wife.
bonkonhead

This looks great, can you provide a link and the specific kit number? When I looked at the main site I didn't see anything specific for motorcycles.

Thanks
YAM93
1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts

Post by YAM93 »

http://www.stoprust.net/POR-15-Cycle-Ta ... -p-12.html

This is where I got it. It took them almost 3 weeks since it was on backorder. Hopefully they have plenty in now. Funny getting something from Texas that is made in New Jersey.
:twisted:

Return to “WIKI - Discussion, Submissions, Corrections...”