HOWTO: R6 Voltage Regulator conversion

Moderators: Site Director, FZR Forum Moderators

tommyj27
Level 9.5
Level 9.5

HOWTO: R6 Voltage Regulator conversion

Post by tommyj27 »

My VR swap Howto has been moved to the Wiki! Click here to access that internet tube.

Please continue to use this thread for comments/questions on the mod. Big thanks to Shogun for getting everything on the wiki for us!
billy_awesome
Level 2.0
Level 2.0

Re: HOWTO: R6 Voltage Regulator conversion *IN PROGRESS*

Post by billy_awesome »

I can help you if you need more info, I just did the r6 VR swap a few weeks ago.

naelas has a great write up on it already though......http://naes.afraid.org

maybe we can grab some info from his website, I can ask for his permission I know him threw msn LOL
tommyj27
Level 9.5
Level 9.5

Re: HOWTO: R6 Voltage Regulator conversion *IN PROGRESS*

Post by tommyj27 »

I know that naeslas has a great one, Geo has good info too, along with the stuff from the archives. I'm writing this up as a "How I did it" article, since I did mine slightly differently; I was going to link to all the other ones I know of as well. One thing that would be really nice to have from Naeslas is permission to use his spiffy troubleshooting chart locally, rather than linking to it all the time.
tommyj27
Level 9.5
Level 9.5

Re: HOWTO: R6 Voltage Regulator conversion

Post by tommyj27 »

all done, anything I forgot?
haunter
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Post by haunter »

looks good

FYI I had 2 plates made today(cam was outta batteries) for my R6 VR....one that sits in the hole you put foil in

and one that goes behind it and sits flush with the rest of the vr, put thermal paste in there too.....between the plates and the VR.

my buddy water jet'd them outta 6061 and I'm sure for a pretty cheap price he would do more sets of em
megaloxana
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Post by megaloxana »

haunter wrote:looks good

FYI I had 2 plates made today(cam was outta batteries) for my R6 VR....one that sits in the hole you put foil in

and one that goes behind it and sits flush with the rest of the vr, put thermal paste in there too.....between the plates and the VR.

my buddy water jet'd them outta 6061 and I'm sure for a pretty cheap price he would do more sets of em
You got any pictures of those plates, haunter? I fried an R6 regulator recently and really need to do something about it. I'd be willing to buy a set.

tommy- great write-up and very clean install.
'92 FZR 600
Airtech R1 kit \*/ 520 conversion \*/ 14F-47R gearing
K&N pod filters \*/ Stage 3 jet kit \*/ Factory Pro shift kit \*/ Full V&H SS exhaust
Custom '02 R6 undertail \*/ YZF gas tank \*/ Raised via dogbones \*/ custom flush turnsignals
Full R6 brake set-up \*/ SS lines \*/ Progressive fork springs \*/ ZX2 coilpack

ADD YOURSELF TO THE OFFICIAL FZRONLINE GOOGLE EARTH MAP :bunny :banjoman
tommyj27
Level 9.5
Level 9.5

Post by tommyj27 »

haunter wrote:looks good

I would definitely be interested in the smaller plate and probably the mounting plate as well. Get some batteries for that camera!
yamaha_george
5000+ Posts
5000+ Posts

Post by yamaha_george »

tommyj27 wrote:Ok, we may not need another Howto replace your Voltage Regulator
TJ,
Nicely done Mate :tks: ClapHands

The only downside is You used those NAFF hard plastic covered connectors which in my experience are too rigid for a bike. They crack & break at the crimp point even with their own manufacturers tool ( or any other I have tried )

I did give the part numbers of The RS component versions and they are available in the states via internet.
bweight
Level 4.0
Level 4.0

Post by bweight »

Think I'm gonna have to test my 400 VR.. I noticed yesterday when I was finishing up on it, that it seems the lights dimmed/brightened at certain times.. Course, it might be a loose ground somewhere, but I suppose it doesn't hurt to check the VR..

Great write up though.. definitely something to look at when replacing these problematic items..
89 FZR 400
Custom Paintjob
600 plastics.
06 - R6 Shock
FZR600 Motor
Polished Frame & Engine Covers

Soon to be:
Broke........

FZROnline.com Decals. Get yours Now!!!
Lasse
50+ Posts
50+ Posts

How did YAMAHA do it ?

Post by Lasse »

Hello !

I want to know how YAMAHA them selves did do it ( on the FZR-600 , 1989 - 1999 ) when they went with the 5 lead VR insted of the 4 lead VR ?

OLD style VR , 4 lead ( 1989 <-- 1994 ) Yamaha part # : 47X - 81960 -A2 - 00
NEW style VR , 5 lead ( 1995 --> 1999 ) Yamaha part # : 4JH - 81960 - 00 - 00

Please can anyone post a wireing digrams of a 1995 - 1999 ?

Please can anyone post a wireing diagram of a 1989 - 1994 ?

..just to compare how YAMAHA did it !

:worthlesswithoutpics:

// Lasse from SWEDEN.

Yamaha FZR-600 ( 1990 )
tommyj27
Level 9.5
Level 9.5

Post by tommyj27 »

The old VR did not have a ground in the plug because the casing of the part was grounded, hence the ground wire on the bolt in the first photo. The plug contains the three white AC wires and the Red positive wire.
The new style VR has the ground in the plug, which is why there is an extra pin
yamaha_george
5000+ Posts
5000+ Posts

Re: How did YAMAHA do it ?

Post by yamaha_george »

Lasse wrote:Hello !

I want to know how YAMAHA them selves did do it ( on the FZR-600 , 1989 - 1999 ) when they went with the 5 lead VR insted of the 4 lead VR ?

OLD style VR , 4 lead ( 1989 <-- 1994 ) Yamaha part # : 47X - 81960 -A2 - 00
NEW style VR , 5 lead ( 1995 --> 1999 ) Yamaha part # : 4JH - 81960 - 00 - 00

Please can anyone post a wireing digrams of a 1995 - 1999 ?

Please can anyone post a wireing diagram of a 1989 - 1994 ?

..just to compare how YAMAHA did it !

:worthlesswithoutpics:

Hi,
If you look at pic No.1 (the old set up you will see that the ground wire (the 5th wire ) has a ring connector on it.

The newer model is identical in the harness EXCEPT it goes in the plug. The case is grounded thro the frame mounting.

HOWEVER old bike hands "know" that such frame grounds are prone to painting over by the PO & corrosion. So we add a wire as well just to be sure we do have a " proper " ground when we do the mod from 4 to 5 wire VR's

see:- pictures 2 & 3of:-

http://www.saltmine.org.uk/fzr/vr.html
TheRose
Site Newbie

Post by TheRose »

Thanks tommyj27 for an awesome writeup...one mistake I made while following this was I bought the wrong connectors...Radio Shack sold the following as "insulated disconnects":

which are basically the normal disconnects wrapped in a hard plastic...the problem is, because of this plastic the connectors wont all fit in the new VR. I'm going to go back tomorrow and get the ones that look like your picture (which is what I should have done in the first place) but just in case anyone else is thinking of making the mistake I did, just say no...
tommyj27
Level 9.5
Level 9.5

Post by tommyj27 »

Yeah, I looked at those and almost bought them too, then I thought about how i was going to fit all that plastic into that connector space. Maybe with some sand paper to sand down the plastic a bit they might fit.
yamaha_george
5000+ Posts
5000+ Posts

Post by yamaha_george »

tommyj27 wrote:Yeah, I looked at those and almost bought them too, then I thought about how i was going to fit all that plastic into that connector space. Maybe with some sand paper to sand down the plastic a bit they might fit.
Guys,
In another VR thread I did give the proper part numbers for the RS Components spade connectors with silicon rubber sheaths. Here they are again (& they are available thro the internet http://www.rs-components.com/index.html)

6.3mm spade terminals (male)....Pt/No. 488-1279
6.3mm recepticals (female)........ Pt/No. 488-1235
Receptical covers .........................Pt/No. 488-1314
spade covers................................Pt/No 488-1320

These are soft flexible covered terminals that can be silicon glue injected to really keep out water for dirt bikes (even power washers) or just use conductive grease in them or use as is which has been fine for everyday wear & tear in the UK.

Return to “WIKI - Discussion, Submissions, Corrections...”