How To: Polished Look Wheel Lips

Moderators: Site Director, FZR Forum Moderators

sweekster
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

How To: Polished Look Wheel Lips

Post by sweekster »

Decided to do this after realizing we didn't have one here. It really isn't hard and, in my opinion, makes a really big positive difference in the look of the bike. As will anything else, it's all in the prep work and tools that will be used. I did this whole thing with the tire still mounted on the wheel and brakes rotors removed.

Here is what I used:

Klean Strip 15 Minute Paint Stripper Gel(The kind that will strip epoxy paint), A Metal Paint pan, 3M Blue Painters Tape, Cheap Foam Sponges, Shop Towels Or It's Equivalent, and plastic scraper. All items were bought at my local Lowes store but any well stocked hardware or home improvement store should have the items needed. You'll also want to keep some water near by as well. This stuff burns if it touches your skin and water will neutralize that almost instantly. It will also work as a "stop bath" for when you are done stripping the wheel.

Once you get the front wheel off you'll want to clean it thoroughly with a good cleaner making sure to get all the brake dust and any other contaminants off the wheel:

Once cleaned you'll need to start masking off the areas you don't want the paint to be removed. You can be liberal here with the tape. I suggest over lapping as much as possible to ensure the stripper does not go where isn't supposed to. Seen here:

Once it's masked and ready for the stripper, using the foam brush, dab the gel on to the wheel. Spread it on evenly with just enough to stick to the surface and not be runny. Then just let the gel do it's work. You'll start to see the paint bubble up before you make it back around to where you started from but let it sit for about 10 minutes. You also don't want it to dry out either because the paint will be a lot harder to get off.

Keep in mind all of the paint won't come off the first tine. I did 3 passes on each side of each wheel before I got all the paint off. Here is one side finished:

Now you repeat the steps on the other side and you're good. Keep in mind that I did not actually go about polishing the lips at all. What you see is what was under the paint.

Here is what you'll end up with.

On a scale of 1 to 10 this a about a 2. It's really easy to do.

Hope this helps..
Duane...
Bike:
1994 Yamaha FZR 1000 EXUP
Factory Pro Stage 1 Jetting | K&N Filter | Corbin Seat | ProTek Keyless Gas Cap | GSXR Mirrors
My Thread
Cage:
2005 Saab 9-7x 5.3i Arc AWD

THE WIKI IS YOUR FRIEND
THE SEARCH IS YOUR SIGNIFICANT OTHER
USE THEM!!
mossy1200
Level 5.0
Level 5.0

Re: How To: Polished Look Wheel Lips

Post by mossy1200 »

When you do the next one Sweeks can you weigh the removed paint for me?Im always after weight savings and less rotating mass.
Cheers and looking forwards to saving a few grams.LOL
ragedigital
4000+ Posts
4000+ Posts

Post by ragedigital »

NOTE: The rim lips are naturally polished underneath - the spokes are not.
Thanks for joining and participating in the most "active" FZR Community on the internet!
TomGun
Level 2.5
Level 2.5

Post by TomGun »

Looking good Duane. I prefer the gel myself. I find you can get a better coverage with a brush, as not to get stripper over spray all over the place. :thumbsup:
Looking for a FZR 400 3TJ
1992 FZR 600 SOLD :-(
2001 Ducati ST4 916
Chipped, with Fast By Ferracci cans
The Yellow Duc Project

The lord tells me he can get me outta this mess but he tells me he's pretty sure your f***ed.
ragedigital
4000+ Posts
4000+ Posts

Post by ragedigital »

I went with the GEL when I did mine as well. (see - Rage wasn't kidding when he said he tried pods)

Thanks for joining and participating in the most "active" FZR Community on the internet!
demon_knight69
Level 4.5
Level 4.5

Post by demon_knight69 »

ragedigital wrote:NOTE: The rim lips are naturally polished underneath - the spokes are not.
out of curiosity, what do the spokes look like under the paint? as i've got one red wheel and one gun metal wheel, i want them to match. i figure if worst comes to worst, i can strip the paint off both wheels and then paint the spokes. i'd just like to see what the wheels would look completely polished.
1996 FZR 600
Custom exhaust made from R6 header and GSXR600 end pipe
K&N Pods
Barnett Clutch
Factory Pro shift kit
Needs paint and on her way to being a streetfighter
thatkid
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Post by thatkid »

demon_knight69 wrote:
ragedigital wrote:NOTE: The rim lips are naturally polished underneath - the spokes are not.
out of curiosity, what do the spokes look like under the paint? as i've got one red wheel and one gun metal wheel, i want them to match. i figure if worst comes to worst, i can strip the paint off both wheels and then paint the spokes. i'd just like to see what the wheels would look completely polished.
There would be a lot of sanding involved. The spokes are rough so you'd have to get them smooth before you could polish.
Do YOU Scopper?

"When some people cry, it's not because they’re weak. It’s because they’ve been strong for far too long."
ragedigital
4000+ Posts
4000+ Posts

Post by ragedigital »

demon_knight69 wrote:out of curiosity, what do the spokes look like under the paint?
I've heard of someone doing it, but I can only imagine it being a royal pain the the butt and a huge waste of time and money. Like Nate stated, they are rough, very rough.
sweekster
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Post by sweekster »

demon_knight69 wrote:
You can see from this pic how rough the texture is on the spokes and center. Lots of work to smooth that out uniformly...

Duane...
Bike:
1994 Yamaha FZR 1000 EXUP
Factory Pro Stage 1 Jetting | K&N Filter | Corbin Seat | ProTek Keyless Gas Cap | GSXR Mirrors
My Thread
Cage:
2005 Saab 9-7x 5.3i Arc AWD

THE WIKI IS YOUR FRIEND
THE SEARCH IS YOUR SIGNIFICANT OTHER
USE THEM!!
demon_knight69
Level 4.5
Level 4.5

Post by demon_knight69 »

thatkid wrote:
demon_knight69 wrote:
There would be a lot of sanding involved. The spokes are rough so you'd have to get them smooth before you could polish.

thats true. how bout sandblasting them? i know its no good for plastics cuz it can damage the material, but the wheels would probably be ok right? at least that way i could get all the old paint off and have them repainted to match each other :duh:. i forgot about the rough texture. that is definitely more pain than its worth.
1996 FZR 600
Custom exhaust made from R6 header and GSXR600 end pipe
K&N Pods
Barnett Clutch
Factory Pro shift kit
Needs paint and on her way to being a streetfighter
reelrazor
Wrench
Wrench

Post by reelrazor »

demon_knight69 wrote: thats true. how bout sandblasting them? i know its no good for plastics cuz it can damage the material, but the wheels would probably be ok right? at least that way i could get all the old paint off and have them repainted to match each other :duh:. i forgot about the rough texture. that is definitely more pain than its worth.
If yo know someone with a reeeeaaally big media tumbler, that would be the way to go if you want a smooth surface to start the polishing process on.

I know the old school starter and alternator repair place in my town has a 55gallon drum sized tumbler and the stuff they run thru it comes out pretty damn smooth
http://www.michiganmobileservice.com/

“A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.”-Douglas Adams

http://www.youtube.com/user/reelrazor
jammy
Site Newbie

Post by jammy »

I spent 6 days with a fine tooth file , and 3 grades of sand paper in my shed with my rear wheel. Filed the writing off the rear wheel, the cast finish on the spokes is AN ABSOLOUTE NIGHTMARE !!! I regret starting this heinous task . . . i wouldnt wish the blisters and tears onto anybody. Itll be smart when its finished though, :banana: itll soon be time to start on the front wheel :duh:
wheelie wheelie bad wheelie
yamaha_george
5000+ Posts
5000+ Posts

Post by yamaha_george »

demon_knight69 wrote:[: The rim lips are naturally polished

How about sandblasting them? i know its no good for plastics cuz it can damage the material, but the wheels would probably be ok right? at least that way i could get all the old paint off and have them repainted to match each other :duh:. i forgot about the rough texture. that is definitely more pain than its worth.
Sandblasting will get the paint off but will fudge the polished edges. Better would be walnut shell blasting takes a bit longer but
well worth the effort of having matched wheels.
The next desicion is Powder coat or spray paint ?????????/
But no method of blasting will get rid of the very nasty casting knob & pit so you could polish the whole wheel
jammy
Site Newbie

Post by jammy »

yamaha_george wrote:Sandblasting will get the paint off but will fudge the polished edges. Better would be walnut shell blasting takes a bit longer but
well worth the effort of having matched wheels.
The next desicion is Powder coat or spray paint ?????????/
But no method of blasting will get rid of the very nasty casting knob & pit so you could polish the whole wheel
Absoloutly , good old fashioned hard graft is the only way to remove the cast finish :D and most people havnt got the patience ! Ive heard my dads friends talking about using walnut shells to polish things, I just use a couple of polishing mops a cutting compound and some elbow grease, Itd be interesting to put some walnut shells through my sandblasting setup .

But where on earth do you get large quantitys of walnut shells ? I suppose deshelling and crushing them yourself is the only way right? Im going to polish then lacquer over the polish finish on my rims .
wheelie wheelie bad wheelie
yamaha_george
5000+ Posts
5000+ Posts

Post by yamaha_george »

jammy wrote:
But where on earth do you get large quantitys of walnut shells ? .
J,
you did ask............http://www.airblast.co.uk

Return to “WIKI - Discussion, Submissions, Corrections...”