HOW-TO: R6 Controls added to FZR

Moderators: Site Director, FZR Forum Moderators

thatkid
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

HOW-TO: R6 Controls added to FZR

Post by thatkid »

So I have half if it done. I have the throttle side on and working. It was super easy to modify the R6 controls to accept the fzr throttle cables. Beyond that it was some simple wiring.

The R6 throttle cables are way to long for the fzr so the stock cable must be used. After getting the R6 controls off I had to drill out the left hole so that it was circular. Not sure what side drill bit I used but my fzr cable housing fits in there incredibly snug. No worries about it coming out. The stock fzr C shaped washer/clamp thing bolts right up to the R6 control to lock in that side of the throttle cable. The right hole needed to be tapped to accept the FZR return cable. I used an M8 tap and it screwed right in. That's it. R6 controls for a nicer look and updated internals.

On the throttle controls there was a goofy little pin on the inside that kept them from seating on the bars correctly. My guess is the R6 has a hole drilled in the handle to allow this pin to drop through and there will be no worrying about the controls moving. I just grabbed it with some pliers and yanked it out. It's just glued in. I'm working on the left side controls and will post when I have them working. The wiring is a lot different so we shall see if it works. I'm hoping.

Update!!!

I have the answers to the wiring issues on the controls. Now here are some things you need to know first -
1) The headlight is wired permanently on once you move the key to the on position. Hitting the start button will not cut off the headlight to make more power for the starter and coils. This is easily solved by upgrading the coils to the ford coil pack.
2) I'm not sure there is a two.

The right side is the easiest to wire so we'll start there. BTW, I'm thanking Naes right now cause he walked me through all this. Cut off the FZR plug from the controls, you'll be reusing it. Now cut off the plug from the R6 controls. Strip all the wires and get ready to solder them together. This is how it's going to connect. The FZR uses 2 red/white wires for the kill switch. They are designated below as to how you hook up the wires from the R6 to the FZR for those wires.

FZR Wire Color------------------- R6 Wire Color

Blue/Black to Red/Yellow
Blue/White ----------------------- Blue/White
Green/Yellow--------------------- Green/Yellow
Black------------------------------- Black
Brown------------------------------ Brown
Red/White------------------------- Red/Black (Connects to the corner red/white on the FZR plug)
Red/White------------------------- Red/White (Connects to the middle red/white on the FZR plug)

Left Side Controls

FZR Wire color----------------------- R6 wire color

Yellow/Red to Black----------------- Black/White
Blue/Black to Green----------------- Red/Yellow
Yellow--------------------------------- Yellow
Brown--------------------------------- Pink
Brown/White------------------------- Brown/White
Chocolate---------------------------- Chocolate
Dark Green--------------------------- Dark Green

(Sorry no picture for this side.)

That's everything. It took some trial and error but everything is sorted out with this setup. The low beam will stay on all the time. The hi-beam switch will add the hi-beam light and the low beam will stay on as well so for those of you running non stock headlights this may or may not be an issue. It will depend on the load being drawn if both lights are on. Anyhow, hope others go for this swap. It's kinda nice to have 13 year newer controls on my bike! :lol:
Do YOU Scopper?

"When some people cry, it's not because they’re weak. It’s because they’ve been strong for far too long."
cad600
1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts

Re: R6 Controls added to FZR

Post by cad600 »

Nice. Any reason for the change?
Yes, that is a Single Sided Swingarm FZR600 that I built.

Something is lurking, waiting, wanting to be built......It calls to me from the darkness....

I can finally see the light at the end of the tunnel....Then I realize that it is the train coming to run my ass over....
thatkid
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Post by thatkid »

cad600 wrote:Nice. Any reason for the change?
Just the updated look really. I got both controls for 22 shipped with throttle cables. Figured I could sell the cables for a bit. With everything else I've upgraded on the bike I said why not the controls too.
Do YOU Scopper?

"When some people cry, it's not because they’re weak. It’s because they’ve been strong for far too long."
megaloxana
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Post by megaloxana »

Thats awesome. Thanks for the pics. I wouldn't mind swapping mine over to those, they're so much cleaner looking. Something to think about when I run out of projects for the fizzer...like that will ever happen.
'92 FZR 600
Airtech R1 kit \*/ 520 conversion \*/ 14F-47R gearing
K&N pod filters \*/ Stage 3 jet kit \*/ Factory Pro shift kit \*/ Full V&H SS exhaust
Custom '02 R6 undertail \*/ YZF gas tank \*/ Raised via dogbones \*/ custom flush turnsignals
Full R6 brake set-up \*/ SS lines \*/ Progressive fork springs \*/ ZX2 coilpack

ADD YOURSELF TO THE OFFICIAL FZRONLINE GOOGLE EARTH MAP :bunny :banjoman
thatkid
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Post by thatkid »

megaloxana wrote:Thats awesome. Thanks for the pics. I wouldn't mind swapping mine over to those, they're so much cleaner looking. Something to think about when I run out of projects for the fizzer...like that will ever happen.
It never does happen but this one can be done in a few hours sitting in front of a TV watching a movie. Just look down from time to time to make sure you are soldering the right wires together. :rolleyes:
Do YOU Scopper?

megaloxana
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Re: R6 Controls added to FZR - A How To

Post by megaloxana »

How about the left side controls?
'92 FZR 600
K&N pod filters \*/ Stage 3 jet kit \*/ Factory Pro shift kit \*/ Full V&H SS exhaust
Custom '02 R6 undertail \*/ YZF gas tank \*/ Raised via dogbones \*/ custom flush turnsignals

haunter
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Post by haunter »

nice write up! those controls do alot nicer.

The later FZR 1000 controls look similar to those I believe.....
thatkid
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Post by thatkid »

megaloxana wrote:How about the left side controls?
Both control diagrams are there. I just didn't have any pictures of the left side control wiring. It's all written out though.
Do YOU Scopper?

megaloxana
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Post by megaloxana »

Awesome. Nice job man, thanks. Quick question, do you use the R6 or fzr throttle tube?
'92 FZR 600

thatkid
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Post by thatkid »

megaloxana wrote:Awesome. Nice job man, thanks. Quick question, do you use the R6 or fzr throttle tube?
FZR. The only thing you want from the R6 is the black boxes. Everything else will be used from the fzr controls.
Do YOU Scopper?

zero9243
Level 8.5
Level 8.5

Post by zero9243 »

Can you stop being so intuitive!
Upgrades:
  • Barnett Clutch------------------------------------------R6 Blue Dots, Front Master Brake Cylinder+Reservoir
    WP Adjustable Rear Shock----------------------------Vortex 520 Conversion with RK GB520GXW Chain
    V&H Header (4-1)--------------------------------------Swingarm Spool Mounts
    Cobra F1r Exhaust Can--------------------------------R6 Voltage Regulator
    Flo-Commander with Remote-------------------------Custom Airtech Passenger Seat
    Stage 7 Jet kit with Diffuser Caps--------------------Factory Pro Nickel Emulsion Tubes
    Wiseco 630 Kit------------------------------------------Custom Frame Slider Mounts
    Modking Hydraulic Clutch Kit--------------------------Hella Projection Headlight with Xentec HID Kit (H9 Bulb)
    Modking Aluminum Radiator Overflow Bottle--------

thatkid
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Post by thatkid »

zero9243 wrote:Can you stop being so intuitive!
It's a curse I tell you.
Do YOU Scopper?

megaloxana
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Post by megaloxana »

I nominate this for the WIKI :smartass
'92 FZR 600

ShogunTX
Level 4.5
Level 4.5

Post by ShogunTX »

This write up is now available in the WIKI:

How-To: R6 Control Swap
haunter
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Re: HOW-TO: R6 Controls added to FZR

Post by haunter »

bump

hey kids, where'd those pics go :banana:

if you could find em and upload em to the gallery, I'll get this swapped over into the wiki

Return to “WIKI - Discussion, Submissions, Corrections...”