Repack Exhust Can

Moderators: Site Director, FZR Forum Moderators

jsph.mitch
100+ Posts
100+ Posts

Repack Exhust Can

Post by jsph.mitch »

My Repacking Exhaust Write-up is in the WIKI: Here
Last edited by ShogunTX on Thu Sep 18, 2008 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Content added to the FZROnline WIKI
91 FZR600
Trimmed Tail
YZF VR Upgrade
LED Taillights
Many more mods to come.....
sweekster
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Re: Repack Exhust Can

Post by sweekster »

Thanks for doing the write up. Don't recall actually seeing something like this so it's a welcomed addition.
Duane...
Bike:
1994 Yamaha FZR 1000 EXUP
Factory Pro Stage 1 Jetting | K&N Filter | Corbin Seat | ProTek Keyless Gas Cap | GSXR Mirrors
My Thread
Cage:
2005 Saab 9-7x 5.3i Arc AWD

THE WIKI IS YOUR FRIEND
THE SEARCH IS YOUR SIGNIFICANT OTHER
USE THEM!!
95FZR600
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Post by 95FZR600 »

Good job on the write up. Can you tell us about the packing you replaced? What brand and such. Maybe a few pics when you buy new batteries? Thanks!
2002 Yamaha R6-----2003 Yamaha R6

megaloxana
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Post by megaloxana »

Very nice write up :thumbsup:
Its too bad you couldn't get audio before/after. I really like the way my V&H sounds but Im sure my packing is gone too. But maybe I'd like it more after a repack? IDK
'92 FZR 600
Airtech R1 kit \*/ 520 conversion \*/ 14F-47R gearing
K&N pod filters \*/ Stage 3 jet kit \*/ Factory Pro shift kit \*/ Full V&H SS exhaust
Custom '02 R6 undertail \*/ YZF gas tank \*/ Raised via dogbones \*/ custom flush turnsignals
Full R6 brake set-up \*/ SS lines \*/ Progressive fork springs \*/ ZX2 coilpack

ADD YOURSELF TO THE OFFICIAL FZRONLINE GOOGLE EARTH MAP :bunny :banjoman
95FZR600
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Post by 95FZR600 »

I cut my last can into a short can pipe. Still have not tried it yet.

yamaha_george
5000+ Posts
5000+ Posts

Post by yamaha_george »

95FZR600 wrote:Good job on the write up. Can you tell us about the packing you replaced? What brand and such. Maybe a few pics when you buy new batteries? Thanks!
Hi,
The steel he used was the stuff your mum / GF uses to scrub the pans with. One point to note is that providing there is NO aluminium in the core assembly (some end cans are) you can use pait stripper /lye/ caustic sode to soak the carbon gunk off the core and it si sure easier than wire brushing the thing clean as the brush tends to "spray" the crap off the springy wire bristles.

When using lye etc wear eye covering !!!!!!!!! :deadhorse:
haunter
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Post by haunter »

do the rivets just pop out and back in?
jsph.mitch
100+ Posts
100+ Posts

Post by jsph.mitch »

I like the way it sounds. It’s plenty loud enough, but has removed the raspy vibrations. I had the bike all the way up to 9.5K rpms and sounded great, yet still loud.
As for the rivets, mine had 3 screws on the end holding the cap/core in. I removed them, and used a short 2x4 on the lip to gently knock it out of the can. Be sure you have it lined up when you go to put it back together. I did all of this with the exhaust still on the bike.
91 FZR600
Trimmed Tail
YZF VR Upgrade
LED Taillights
Many more mods to come.....
95FZR600
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Post by 95FZR600 »

Mine had rivits that I cut off and then I installed new rivits. I love where I work, we have all the tools.

haunter
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Post by haunter »

95FZR600 wrote:Mine had rivits that I cut off and then I installed new rivits. I love where I work, we have all the tools.
nice
megaloxana
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Post by megaloxana »

I gotta locate a rivet gun. Then I guess I could just repack my pipe and if I don't like it, Ill just remove them again. screw it
'92 FZR 600
Airtech R1 kit \*/ 520 conversion \*/ 14F-47R gearing
K&N pod filters \*/ Stage 3 jet kit \*/ Factory Pro shift kit \*/ Full V&H SS exhaust
Custom '02 R6 undertail \*/ YZF gas tank \*/ Raised via dogbones \*/ custom flush turnsignals
Full R6 brake set-up \*/ SS lines \*/ Progressive fork springs \*/ ZX2 coilpack

ADD YOURSELF TO THE OFFICIAL FZRONLINE GOOGLE EARTH MAP :bunny :banjoman
zero9243
Level 8.5
Level 8.5

Post by zero9243 »

Kind of bringing this back from the dead, but thought I would mention that the method is a tad different for cobra exhausts. Can we get this added to the wiki write-up?

"And for those of you who have one and would like to repack it, you can use our patented way of doing so. See, if you call or email Cobra they will tell you to drill the rivets out. Well, did anyone see ANY rivets in any of the pictures?? There are none. What you will need is a 1 1/16" socket, an extension, and a hammer. Slide the socket into the end of the can, insert extension and start pounding with hammer. It will force the inner sleeve from the outer and allow you access to the insides. Installation is the reverse of removal except you will need like a 30mm socket or so. Make sure you line up the inner tube with the outer tube at the end of the can before you start pounding it back in. "

Upgrades:
  • Barnett Clutch------------------------------------------R6 Blue Dots, Front Master Brake Cylinder+Reservoir
    WP Adjustable Rear Shock----------------------------Vortex 520 Conversion with RK GB520GXW Chain
    V&H Header (4-1)--------------------------------------Swingarm Spool Mounts
    Cobra F1r Exhaust Can--------------------------------R6 Voltage Regulator
    Flo-Commander with Remote-------------------------Custom Airtech Passenger Seat
    Stage 7 Jet kit with Diffuser Caps--------------------Factory Pro Nickel Emulsion Tubes
    Wiseco 630 Kit------------------------------------------Custom Frame Slider Mounts
    Modking Hydraulic Clutch Kit--------------------------Hella Projection Headlight with Xentec HID Kit (H9 Bulb)
    Modking Aluminum Radiator Overflow Bottle--------

Return to “WIKI - Discussion, Submissions, Corrections...”