Moderators: Site Director, FZR Forum Moderators

ShogunTX
Level 4.5
Level 4.5

Re: HOW-TO: R6 Controls added to FZR

Post by ShogunTX »

ShogunTX wrote:This write up is now available in the WIKI:

How-To: R6 Control Swap

Haunter it is already in the WIKI twice, in the hybrid section of the main page and in the 600 section thats why the pictures are gone, the wiki image storage is independent of the gallery.
thatkid
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Post by thatkid »

haunter wrote:bump

hey kids, where'd those pics go :banana:

if you could find em and upload em to the gallery, I'll get this swapped over into the wiki
I uploaded the pictures in my gallery but I don't know how to put them in the post. I will eventually move them over to my flickr page as I don't want to host them from my web page cause my friend hosts that for me on his server. Too much traffic and I pay for it if he goes over his limit so I pulled them from there for the time being.

I will get them up again, I've just been wicked busy with work and trying to fix my and designing parts. I really need more hours in a day.
Do YOU Scopper?

"When some people cry, it's not because they’re weak. It’s because they’ve been strong for far too long."
ShogunTX
Level 4.5
Level 4.5

Post by ShogunTX »

That's kinda the point behind the WIKI, I will start cleaning up the howto threads converting them into discussions in the WIKI section once the initial content is in the Wiki. All images provided in how-to's are self contained in the WIKI system. This prevents the situation above where the original poster cleans/organises his image hosting hierarchy inadvertently altering the paths to the images used in forums ect. That's one of my biggest pet peeves, missing photos in forums....
mrfreeze5
Level 8.0
Level 8.0

Post by mrfreeze5 »

This is a great write-up and I personally used it when installing my new controls, but I would like to add an addendum. The left side controls are pretty similar in their setup and design over the years and models. Personally, I used a switch box from a 2005 R6 with great results.

The right side switches and throttle have changed a bit by model and year. I have found a effective combination of pieces from different bikes to make what I think is the best setup and requires the least amount of modification. Any setup you use will need to have the wiring adapted and the chart in the WIKI says it all, but the big problem with the R6 control swap on the right side was the throttle cables. Using the R6 throttle cables means theyre too long and to reuse the FZR cables you have to modify the control housing. I found a 2007 R6 throttle assy and right control on ebay like all the other parts used for this swap. The nice thing about the 07 R6 controls is that the switch housing and the throttle are seperate. My throttle was missing the cables, so i needed to order a new set. Another problem with the 07 R6 throttle is a cast in pin that is supposed to seat into the bar to keep it from moving. This is part of the housing and would need to be ground down for proper fitment. So I started looking in to other options. It turns out the YZF600 has the same type setup but more appropriate length cables. By using the 07 R6 start switch and YZF600 throttle assembly, I was able to get significantly more attractive and modern controls and the only modifications necessary is the wiring. Granted, my controls have parts from 3 different bikes, but considering I didnt pay more than $45 for all of it total, its really not a big deal to me. I looked today and saw several auctions for just the start switch, so one could easily piece together this setup without buying extra parts.

Right bar with 07 R6 controls. This is the R6 throttle assy.

Note the pin

YZF600 throttle assy

My YZF throttle is in transit right now and I will add pics of the finalized setup, but the appearance will not be any different than what I have now with the exception of fitting better.
shredex
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Post by shredex »

freeze, all the R1's and R6's and YZF600 and even the kawasaki ninjas and cbrs i believe ALL use that very same throttle housing.
Im using one that came off a 04-06 R1 and im using 04-06 R1 cables which i had to modify LOL not fun.
So if the YZF600 cables are right length then PLEASE let me know! those cable will work in your r6 throttle housing as well just to let you know...and they will fit an any of the above listed bikes there.

im pretty sure mine had that little nub though, i know the controls did but that was fine because I have the clip-on to match the controls, bike I believe that I moved the throttle housing around to find its best positioning but I dont remember grinding the nub down...ill go check.

and are you guys cutting and soldering your cables??? because if you are STOP!
You can simply stick a tiny tiny (ones used for screws on eye glasses) into the wire connecter and push down on the clip that hold the wire in and simply pull it out and stick it into the FZR connecter in the right order with NO cutting or soldering or any of that!
if you have good eyes, youll be able to look into the from of your connecter and see the little tabs sticking up that hold them in place.
*attached: Picture of wires removed from connecter reading to put into FZR connecter

if I remember correctly though, I think my right side controls had different sized connecter things attached to the wires so I was unable to do this with them.
mrfreeze5
Level 8.0
Level 8.0

Post by mrfreeze5 »

Okay, well my YZF throttle theory was shot to hell. But I am convinced that by using the 07+R6 or 04+ R1 start switch, that I can find a suitable length throttle cable to fit into the seperate throttle assy that these bikes(and many others) have. I will continue the search for the mystical correct cable and let you know.

Edit: It looks like the YZF cables are completely F'ing useless! They are too long, but dont have enough play. The cables cannot be fastened down to the carbs and still reach. and the return cable doesnt have nearly enough play in it. What a waste.

Return to “WIKI - Discussion, Submissions, Corrections...”