R6 Control Swap

Moderators: Site Director, FZR Forum Moderators

ShogunTX
Level 4.5
Level 4.5

R6 Control Swap

Post by ShogunTX »

We strive to provide the most up to date and informative material for the FZR community. If you have any questions, comments, or suggestions related to the content you've just read in the WIKI feel free to post it here.
Netter
Site Newbie

Re: R6 Control Swap

Post by Netter »

Have you ever had problems with the FZR 600 cables being to long? I used a 03+ R6 controls and figured out how to make the wires work but now the return cable is to long and i can turn the throttle forward (opposite of accelerating motion). Just wondering if you have heard of this problem before. the throttle cables are brand new oem for my bike
thanks for your help!
match417
Level 8.0
Level 8.0

Post by match417 »

what year r6 controls did you use? i tried to put on yzf600 switches, the left handlebar bar will work after bypassing the turn sig relay and running through a cheap flasher and relay, and i get a handlebar choke out of it, but the right side would take too much modifying for the cable to work, wiring is fine. I'm going to use a different switch. I just need to know what year switch you used, it isn't in the wiki.
check out my car and bike projects on http://youtube.com/match417
thatkid
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Post by thatkid »

match417 wrote:what year r6 controls did you use? i tried to put on yzf600 switches, the left handlebar bar will work after bypassing the turn sig relay and running through a cheap flasher and relay, and i get a handlebar choke out of it, but the right side would take too much modifying for the cable to work, wiring is fine. I'm going to use a different switch. I just need to know what year switch you used, it isn't in the wiki.
Sorry guys. I used '05 housings.
Do YOU Scopper?

"When some people cry, it's not because they’re weak. It’s because they’ve been strong for far too long."
Genesis
Level 8.0
Level 8.0

Post by Genesis »

I used the 99-02, It will be a tad different than the 05, It will require that you have the cables so you can sacrifice them for a few parts.

the first thing is the little clip, that holds the the accelerator cable in place, you will have the use some dikes to clip of the front third to remove it from the r6 cable, the FZR clip is not long enough.

the next thing you will need from the r6 cables is the "nut" that screws into the control case. and the adjustment nut so you can sand off the ridges and it will set nicely in the recessed hole for the return cable, you should be able to thread the end of the return cable into the housing, then screw the spacer you made from the adjustment nut into the recessed hole, then screw the oversized "nut" into the housing. I will try to take some pictures tomorrow to explain all of this.
1990 Yamaha FZR600 Genesis, Daily Driver
My FZR6 Rebuild

1985 GMC 4x4 T-15 X-Cab Sierra
1999 Chevy 4x4 Blazer (wifes car)

"If a man can build it, I can take it apart and sometimes even put it back together and fix it" --Unknown

"'I wish none of this had happened.' 'So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us.....'" J.R.R. Tolkien

Return to “WIKI - Discussion, Submissions, Corrections...”