HOWTO: R6 Voltage Regulator conversion

Moderators: Site Director, FZR Forum Moderators

sweekster
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Re: HOWTO: R6 Voltage Regulator conversion

Post by sweekster »

I used the female versions of these and they all fit just fine when I did my VR swap.
Duane...
Bike:
1994 Yamaha FZR 1000 EXUP
Factory Pro Stage 1 Jetting | K&N Filter | Corbin Seat | ProTek Keyless Gas Cap | GSXR Mirrors
My Thread
Cage:
2005 Saab 9-7x 5.3i Arc AWD

THE WIKI IS YOUR FRIEND
THE SEARCH IS YOUR SIGNIFICANT OTHER
USE THEM!!
yamaha_george
5000+ Posts
5000+ Posts

Post by yamaha_george »

sweekster wrote:I used the female versions of these and they all fit just fine when I did my VR swap.
Sweekster,
Yup crap hard plastic covers that do not resist UV radiation and dry out & crack. Plus the plastic is so darn hard that crimping them requires Popeye arms :-}
TheRose
Site Newbie

Post by TheRose »

yamaha_george wrote:
tommyj27 wrote:Yeah, I looked at those and almost bought them too, then I thought about how i was going to fit all that plastic into that connector space. Maybe with some sand paper to sand down the plastic a bit they might fit.
Guys,
In another VR thread I did give the proper part numbers for the RS Components spade connectors with silicon rubber sheaths. Here they are again (& they are available thro the internet http://www.rs-components.com/index.html)

6.3mm spade terminals (male)....Pt/No. 488-1279
6.3mm recepticals (female)........ Pt/No. 488-1235
Receptical covers .........................Pt/No. 488-1314
spade covers................................Pt/No 488-1320

These are soft flexible covered terminals that can be silicon glue injected to really keep out water for dirt bikes (even power washers) or just use conductive grease in them or use as is which has been fine for everyday wear & tear in the UK.
Crap I wish I would have seen this a few hours ago...I just finished up with connectors that look like the ones in the example. Ill put this on the "preventative maintenance" list and check/replace the connectors in a few months or so...hopefully they'll last that long.
tommyj27
Level 9.5
Level 9.5

Post by tommyj27 »

Geo, I think I had looked up those part numbers when you posted them the first time and could find them on the RS site.
:tard2:
yamaha_george
5000+ Posts
5000+ Posts

Post by yamaha_george »

tommyj27 wrote:Geo, I think I had looked up those part numbers when you posted them the first time and could find them on the RS site.
:tard2:

Those numbers are on the packs they arrived in so......

see:-
http://uk.rs-online.com/web/search/sear ... 35&x=0&y=0
fzrbrandon
Level 7.5
Level 7.5

Post by fzrbrandon »

Hi everybody,

So I finally finished my VR swap and wanted to put up some pictures. I was thinking that these could supplement tommyj27's tutorial (which is the one I followed). :shocker

Brandon

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Image Image

92 FZR600 - 3EN2 400 swingarm, Micron, DynoJet, Factory Pro, K&N, R6 shock, RT springs/emulators, R6 MC, Galfer, YZF calipers, Vortex, RK, YZF/R6 VR/R, Vortex, Zero Gravity

90 FZR400 - Sharkskinz, D&D, Sudco, DynoJet, Factory Pro, Ohlins, RT springs/emulators, JEM Machine, Woodcraft, NRC, Galfer, Vortex, RK, YZF/R6 VR/R, Vortex, Lockhart Phillips

89 FZR600 - Vance & Hines, DynoJet, Zero Gravity - sold in '91

http://www.fzrbrandon.com

!!! 400 & 600 Parts For Sale !!! viewtopic.php?f=18&t=9971
shredex
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Post by shredex »

comfirmed. both the flasher relay, AND your right digital igniter plug will both fit in the newer VR's

heres the flasher relay and digital igniter

flasher relay harness plugged into R6 VR

The right digital igniter plug plugged into R6 VR

so if anyone has a shot harness lying around, you have two plugs that will work! thats one for you and one to whoever you would like to be generess enough to give one to. :cheers:
tommyj27
Level 9.5
Level 9.5

Post by tommyj27 »

Thanks for the info Shredex, good to know that we've got some better options than how I did mine.
delvryboy
Level 5.0
Level 5.0

Post by delvryboy »

I went ahead and mounted it with the fins vertical. It seems the airflow from front to back compared to up and under the fairing is negligible. This allowed me to use the rearward original mounting hole/bolt for the plate, the upper VR mounting hole with a longer bolt, and drilled a new hole for the bottom bolt. Clearance looks good, so I'm not going to grind down the HS.
'92 FZR600
Race Tech Springs & Gold Valve Emulators * '06 R6 MC & Calipers * '06 R6 Rear Shock
130 Dynojet Mains/Pods/Flo-Comander * Full Yoshi Exhaust w/ Custom Can
'06 R6 VR * Full OEM Clutch * 14/49 520 Gearing
Seca II Triple w/ Modded Sport Tour Bars * Aztec8 Dual 4" w/ 4100K Halagon lamps * LED Tail/Turn Signals * Vapor Gauges
Lots of Powder
viken
Site Newbie

Post by viken »

all rectifier's are pretty much the same. when i first got my bike together it died a few times (one of which, my avatar pic, dead bike on the side of a highway) because it seemed to have a loose connection from the unit itself and not charging the battery at all. I just got a new rectifier that's meant for a suzuki VL800 and rigged it in! :D
---
1990 FZR600a
YouTube
tenchu
Site Newbie

Post by tenchu »

Anyone have pictures for this still?
DonTZ125

Post by DonTZ125 »

Vulture mode ... :whistle

VRR Adaptor Harness- $25 + 10 shipping :deal:
yamaha_george
5000+ Posts
5000+ Posts

Post by yamaha_george »

Don,
Well done, a timely reminder of what can be done properly if you put your mind to it.

Trust the rest of you Inmates are well ? Alas the physio has re-negged on allowing me to ride again even on a much lighter bike GRRR!

But thanks to my brother and my brothers in arms I have taken up shooting again :-)

Ride while you have the health & strength is all I can say :cheers:
S & F
Y-Geo

Return to “WIKI - Discussion, Submissions, Corrections...”