HOW TO:Mount R6 rearsets on The FZR600 frame

Got a Yamazuki or a Yamonda? This section is for those who are a little more creative...

Moderators: Site Director, FZR Forum Moderators

tlc2cann
Site Newbie

HOW TO:Mount R6 rearsets on The FZR600 frame

Post by tlc2cann »

Heres my write up on mounting R6 rearsets on the FZR frame. I hope this can be understood it looks kind of complicated.

The exaust may have to be adjusted or a new pipe added in order to clear the new rearsets.All of the aluminum is T-6061 bought from speedy metals( they sell small cuts of metal -aluminum, chrome alloy, steel,and the threaded rod etc..) for strength.

The reason I use 3/8 plates is they can be easily cut and shaped with what most of us have laying around our shop(drill,bench grinder,side grinder).These parts could be machined from a large chunk if you have the right equipment.I tried this at first , but its very hard to machine a 1& 1/2 inch hunk of t-6061 aluminum with a drill press and a side grinder.

All bolts should be grade 8 or better for strength and lock tight should be used on everything. The heim joints used for the shifter linkage can be bought cheap on ebay or from summit or jeggs ( I think on summits and jeggs websites they are listed as rod ends but a heim joint and a rod end look like the same thing to me) are 1/4 inch right hand threads.(metric is available too )

YOU NEED TO INSTALL A LOCK NUT ON THEM ( WHICH IS NOT SHOWN IN THE PICS) SO THEY DONT BACK OFF.You can put a steel or aluminum sleeve on the threaded rod for added strength or a rubber hose to make it look better. the threads on the heim joints and threaded rod are 1/4 x 28 ( fine thread).The R6 brake line bolts right up to the FZR brake caliper.

Last edited by tlc2cann on Thu Apr 02, 2009 3:33 pm, edited 5 times in total.
sweekster
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Re: Mounting R6 rearsets on The FZR600 frame

Post by sweekster »

This needs to be added to the WIKI. I've made this a sticky until it gets moved.
Duane...
Bike:
1994 Yamaha FZR 1000 EXUP
Factory Pro Stage 1 Jetting | K&N Filter | Corbin Seat | ProTek Keyless Gas Cap | GSXR Mirrors
My Thread
Cage:
2005 Saab 9-7x 5.3i Arc AWD

THE WIKI IS YOUR FRIEND
THE SEARCH IS YOUR SIGNIFICANT OTHER
USE THEM!!
mossy1200
Level 5.0
Level 5.0

Re: Mounting R6 rearsets on The FZR600 frame

Post by mossy1200 »

I managed to mount the gsxr1000k1-k4 rearsets.
Biggest hasles were
(A)swing arm clearance
(B)brake master completly different angle

The stock gsxr1000 gearchange bar fitted straight onto fzr gearbox shaft lever.(lucky)

Mounts for gsxr 55mm apart and fzr 60mm apart so holes sloted and fzr mount cap head allen key bolts used.

Great job on the r6 conversion.Funny the r6 involves more adapting.
Please be aware that k1-k4 might not work with stock exaust guys as my pipes small and re-angled for ground clearance prior to pegs.
The k1 conversion moves pegs up 1 and half inch and back 2 and 1/2 so stock exaust would be issue.

Cheers Steve
Genesis
Level 8.0
Level 8.0

Re: HOW TO:Mount R6 rearsets on The FZR600 frame

Post by Genesis »

very nicely done, I'm thinking about doing this swap.
1990 Yamaha FZR600 Genesis, Daily Driver
My FZR6 Rebuild

1985 GMC 4x4 T-15 X-Cab Sierra
1999 Chevy 4x4 Blazer (wifes car)

"If a man can build it, I can take it apart and sometimes even put it back together and fix it" --Unknown

"'I wish none of this had happened.' 'So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us.....'" J.R.R. Tolkien
shredex
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Post by shredex »

added to wiki
http://fzronline.com/wiki/doku.php?id=r6_rearsets_swap
pictures just need to be made to work...
yamaha_george
5000+ Posts
5000+ Posts

Post by yamaha_george »

shredex wrote:added to wiki
http://fzronline.com/wiki/doku.php?id=r6_rearsets_swap
pictures just need to be made to work...

ADDED to proper HOW To:- lists with pictures on our own site
Aivars
Site Newbie

Post by Aivars »

I've got a question: are there any rear sets to fit fzr frame 'plug&play', without any mods? Maybe yzf600r, thundercat ect? :)
yamaha_george
5000+ Posts
5000+ Posts

Post by yamaha_george »

Aivars wrote:I've got a question: are there any rear sets to fit fzr frame 'plug&play', without any mods? Maybe yzf600r, thundercat ect? :)

In a word NO. mfor some reason the FZR is a"bastard" rig as far as pegs the rider pegs are aweird distance on bolt centers as are the passenger peg loops (Fugging ugly bit of tube)
It has been rumoured that 1 model of FZR400 actually bolt up straight in the loop bolts mounting holes but I have yet to find out which it is as the sets I found do not even come close.
Bad Kaw
Site Newbie

Post by Bad Kaw »

Good info.
Bikes: XJ900R Seca, CB1100F, VF1000F Interceptor, KZ1000J (ELR clone), KZ1000J, KZ750R1 (GPz), Z1R, GS1150ES, KV75, GS1000, FZR1000