FZR600/YZF600/R6 Build

Got a Yamazuki or a Yamonda? This section is for those who are a little more creative...

Moderators: Site Director, FZR Forum Moderators

Genesis
Level 8.0
Level 8.0

FZR600/YZF600/R6 Build

Post by Genesis »

So far, I know I need the whole R6 nose, and an yzf tank, and r6 tail. I am also wanting to go with r6 gauges. So the Bike is stripped down, I'm starting on the Nose first. Couple of questions on the nose though.

Does anyone have a good how-to on this? I know I need a 3/8 spacer, and smaller bolts. I think I am going to have an issue with the brake reservoir hitting the fairing bracket, Should I just go with a r6 brake reservoir? Or is there one that will work better?

I won A complete r6 key set on ebay, so I hope the r6 gas cap will fit the yzf tank. My ignition got screwed up in the accident, and I was thinking about replacing it with a r6 ignition, because I will be doing the yzf tank swap, will a r6 ignition work?

Thanks for the help.
Last edited by Genesis on Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:34 pm, edited 14 times in total.
1990 Yamaha FZR600 Genesis, Daily Driver
My FZR6 Rebuild

1985 GMC 4x4 T-15 X-Cab Sierra
1999 Chevy 4x4 Blazer (wifes car)

"If a man can build it, I can take it apart and sometimes even put it back together and fix it" --Unknown

"'I wish none of this had happened.' 'So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us.....'" J.R.R. Tolkien
ragedigital
4000+ Posts
4000+ Posts

Re: I'm doing a 99 r6 nose and tail, anything I should look for

Post by ragedigital »

I don't remember seeing a good How-To on the front. Perfect time for a How-To....

Take lots of pics. We have an excellent GALLERY!

darrin
Thanks for joining and participating in the most "active" FZR Community on the internet!
cad600
1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts

Post by cad600 »

Freeze should be able to help with the nose conversion. I know he did a different year/model, but the practical knowledge he's gained from doing his should help. Unfortunatly from what I understand, the R6 gas cap will not work as it is a different size nor will the ignition switch. Might be able to get the switch to work though, but I don't think it will be easy. Could be wrong though. I do know that the YZF series have always had 4 wires coming from the switch and I don't know what the extra one is for. 95FZR600 did a R6 gauge conversion so he should be able to help there.
Yes, that is a Single Sided Swingarm FZR600 that I built.

Something is lurking, waiting, wanting to be built......It calls to me from the darkness....

I can finally see the light at the end of the tunnel....Then I realize that it is the train coming to run my ass over....
Fizzinatorr
Level 6.5
Level 6.5

Post by Fizzinatorr »

I did an R1 front conversion on a 1000, so i figure it will be similar

the biggest challenge will be getting the upper on, there's not a whole lot of room with the FZR gauges and stuff, I cut down the FZR Bracket and trimmed where I needed to to get my head light to fit, as centered as possible, and made brackets to attach to the cut down headlight bracket

the sides were pretty easy, i started my planning with some really thin bendable metal with holes, bent to what and where I needed then I fabbed up solid mounts
8 Bikes so far...more coming too...Image

Finished my 2000 GSXR 750 -> Link here viewtopic.php?f=68&t=3617
Genesis
Level 8.0
Level 8.0

Post by Genesis »

Fizzinatorr wrote:I did an R1 front conversion on a 1000, so i figure it will be similar

the biggest challenge will be getting the upper on, there's not a whole lot of room with the FZR gauges and stuff, I cut down the FZR Bracket and trimmed where I needed to to get my head light to fit, as centered as possible, and made brackets to attach to the cut down headlight bracket

the sides were pretty easy, i started my planning with some really thin bendable metal with holes, bent to what and where I needed then I fabbed up solid mounts
Thanks for the info, I took what I thought was the easier route, and went with the r6 fairing stay with thr r6 guages
My FZR6 Rebuild

"If a man can build it, I can take it apart and sometimes even put it back together and fix it" --Unknown

"'I wish none of this had happened.' 'So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us.....'" J.R.R. Tolkien
YAM93
1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts

Post by YAM93 »

:worthlesswithoutpics:

Get posting pictures guys. And the best How-To will surely be in the next running for some donated item like the Plastex. Hard for us knuckleheads to visualize what you're saying without pictures.
:thumbsup: :banana: :headscratch:
" several meat-eaters lay in vomit, too weak to move..."
Fizzinatorr
Level 6.5
Level 6.5

Post by Fizzinatorr »

Genesis wrote:
Fizzinatorr wrote:I did an R1 front conversion on a 1000, so i figure it will be similar

Thanks for the info, I took what I thought was the easier route, and went with the r6 fairing stay with thr r6 guages
GOOD call. that's going to be nice and clean

Genesis
Level 8.0
Level 8.0

Post by Genesis »

Bike naked, looks sad
Preliminary fitment of r6 fairing stay
brake reservoir hitting the fairing bracket
My FZR6 Rebuild

Genesis
Level 8.0
Level 8.0

Post by Genesis »

will the r6 clampons fit the FZR forks or will I have to put some sort of bushing around the tubes?
My FZR6 Rebuild

cad600
1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts

Post by cad600 »

R6 Clip-ons will not fit, but Vortex makes aftermarket ones that do. You need 38mm. An R6 brake upgrade might help with the fairing issue as well since it uses a remote resivour.
Yes, that is a Single Sided Swingarm FZR600 that I built.

Something is lurking, waiting, wanting to be built......It calls to me from the darkness....

I can finally see the light at the end of the tunnel....Then I realize that it is the train coming to run my ass over....
Genesis
Level 8.0
Level 8.0

Post by Genesis »

can I mod the stock clmapons to except the r6 levers and switches/controls?
My FZR6 Rebuild

Fizzinatorr
Level 6.5
Level 6.5

Post by Fizzinatorr »

i know that someone recently upgraded to R6 controls but i'm not sure if you can use the stock clip-ons, someone should chime in with the answer soon though

Genesis
Level 8.0
Level 8.0

Post by Genesis »

Fizzinatorr wrote:i know that someone recently upgraded to R6 controls but i'm not sure if you can use the stock clip-ons, someone should chime in with the answer soon though
I love search, lead me right to it.
r6 control swap How-to
My FZR6 Rebuild

mrfreeze5
Level 8.0
Level 8.0

Post by mrfreeze5 »

I have a 05 R6 nose and I have encountered a whole slew of problems along the way and still havent finished due to some of them. If youre trying to mate the R6 nose to FZR fairings one big problem is that my R6 nose is horizontal on the bottom edge. The top of the FZR fairings are not horizontal so it leaves a triangular gap. I have fiberglass fairings and can pretty easily add to it to fill it in I just need to get it done. If youre going to use R6 side fairings too it may be easier to adapt them to fit. I havent tried that route.

The nose mount needs several things for mounting to the frame, at least my 05 piece did. First, the mounting tabs on the frame are off center and angled inward a bit. The r6 mount is straight on, not angled, so I had to grind the frame holes to make a surface parallel to the centerline of the frame. On the 05, the distance between the mounting holes is different on the FZR and R6, so the mount wont line up. But there is also about a 3/4" gap from the frame side mount and the nose mount in the position when its centered. I took a solid piece of aluminum and made an adapter.

There is precious little space for guages and I cant use my fancy expensive aftermarket tach now because it wont fit. The R6 guages are very thin, so there just isnt much space if you dont use them. Im running a R1 master cylinder and its close. I am starting to consider the idea of going to those guages, but I still dont think I could get the speedo working, I need to look into this more.

To put the R6 controls on, go with thatkids writeup. The clutch perch will bolt right up to stock clipons, but the clipons do not interchange. Im running a R6 perch so I could run R6 levers.
mrfreeze5
Level 8.0
Level 8.0

Post by mrfreeze5 »

I think I have have just now decided on changing my guages. I think R1 guages and a speedo healer and Im set and Ill have much more room and will actually funtion a bit better for me.

Im going to use R1 instead of R6 since the R6 is a much higher revving bike and the R1 redline is almost the same as the FZR, the tach matches up better and you dont have to guess at a glance.