Project Freestyle

Got a Yamazuki or a Yamonda? This section is for those who are a little more creative...

Moderators: Site Director, FZR Forum Moderators

Freestyle72
Level 4.0
Level 4.0

Re: Project Freestyle

Post by Freestyle72 »

Anyways. I am kinda stuck on a problem now guys. My GSXR stem is actually shorter than the FZR400 stem. I dunno why I assumed it would be longer than the FZR400 stem. So I basically have a problem in that I can't thread my castle nuts on there to put pressure on the bearings.

Now I am thinking of a couple solutions. One is turn the unthreaded area on a lathe and give my self more thread. Or a custom stem. Or revert to the idea of pressing the FZR stem, make a sleeve, and then press the sleeve and the stem back into the triple. But again this all more $$$$$. I am really not quite sure what I can do with it right now.
Freestyle72
Level 4.0
Level 4.0

Post by Freestyle72 »

Nevermind gunna do the threaded rod mod.
Freestyle72
Level 4.0
Level 4.0

Post by Freestyle72 »

Boom shakalaka!

Bought $50 worth of drill bit and tap set... only to end up taking it to the machinist to get done right for $10. LOL.

Adjustable Length steering stem

Test fitting to get the right length!

Forks in for the test fit

haunter
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Post by haunter »

thats hot
yamaha_george
5000+ Posts
5000+ Posts

Post by yamaha_george »

haunter wrote:thats hot
Wadah yuh expect from the old man of the board already, always have an idea 'bout sumthing LoL
yamaha_george
5000+ Posts
5000+ Posts

Post by yamaha_george »

Freestyle72 wrote:Boom shakalaka!

Bought $50 worth of drill bit and tap set... only to end up taking it to the machinist to get done right for $10. LOL.

Adjustable Length steering stem

FS,
be sure to DOUBLE lock nut that top section of bearing stem in place underneath or else road vibes will vibrate the single nut down and the top section of "old" stem could drop.
Freestyle72
Level 4.0
Level 4.0

Post by Freestyle72 »

Scrapped the threaded rod idea. Had the FZR stem sleeved and pressed into the GSXR stem and had a special spacer made for the top triple.

If anyone wants to buy the machine GSXR stem for cheap it's yours... I decided to just use the FZR stem.
yamaha_george
5000+ Posts
5000+ Posts

Post by yamaha_george »

FS,
bugger that took all the fun aspect of the build away :-{{{{
Freestyle72
Level 4.0
Level 4.0

Post by Freestyle72 »

HAHA sorry George. As safe as the idea of the threaded rod seems, I just couldn't convince my self 100% that it was the best way to go about it. And god know I spent about $150 in that endevour when a $20 stem swap was all that was needed.
Freestyle72
Level 4.0
Level 4.0

Post by Freestyle72 »

Shaved the R6 seat down a bit to match the YZF600 tank a little better.

Also been messing around with the space between the tail and the rear rim (basically adjusting the height of the tail) I have arrived at a magical 13" distance that I am happy with that gives me the best compromise between seat alignment with the tank, aesthetic appeal and natural OEM fitment type look.

I also measured the wheel base and it was 55". I am going to measure again when I get my wheel back tommorow for the official (final) wheel base measurement.

Also applied a little dremel magic to the ignition cylinder and it now happily bolts up to the GSXR top triple. But I need some kind of O-ring at the top. I don't really went to shell out more money at the machine shop for them to make me some kind of ring out of aluminum. Instead I want some kind of rubber O-ring to fill the gap between the FZR ignition cylinder and the suzuki triple. The good news is that my parking steering lock will be fully functional. You can see the space around the cylinder in the picture.

Also my headlights arrived from England today. So I am going to figure out how to mount them tommorow. I am thinking of using t-bolt hose clamps.

haro504
Level 7.5
Level 7.5

Post by haro504 »

do you have any shots or the side and tank seat subframe mating thinking about the 06+ r6 tail lately
ones life is the way it is only because you allow it make it happen.
i poop my pants i poop my pants
Dyyryath
Site Newbie

Post by Dyyryath »

This is really cool and looks a lot like one of mine. Very nice build you've got going man!
sweekster
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Post by sweekster »

Click here. Might help with what you were asking me about in chat earlier....
Duane...
Bike:
1994 Yamaha FZR 1000 EXUP
Factory Pro Stage 1 Jetting | K&N Filter | Corbin Seat | ProTek Keyless Gas Cap | GSXR Mirrors
My Thread
Cage:
2005 Saab 9-7x 5.3i Arc AWD

THE WIKI IS YOUR FRIEND
THE SEARCH IS YOUR SIGNIFICANT OTHER
USE THEM!!
Freestyle72
Level 4.0
Level 4.0

Post by Freestyle72 »

haro504 wrote:do you have any shots or the side and tank seat subframe mating thinking about the 06+ r6 tail lately
I am just messing around with the suspension right now so i'll get a pic for you after I am done. Mounting up the R6 tail will be near impossible on the 600 because of the steel frame being one with the subframe UNLESS you have a welder, then it will be super easy and will turn out nice. I can give give you the measurements you would want for where to put ur tabs to match my "massaged" 400 tabs.

Dyyryath wrote:This is really cool and looks a lot like one of mine. Very nice build you've got going man!
Thank you sir I appreciate it. I admire your build greatly, especially that custom shock mount had me drooling. I would love to know what your bike tips the scale at. I am trying to get mine down to about 360 wet (may not with a full fuel tank).
sweekster wrote:Click here. Might help with what you were asking me about in chat earlier....
Thank Duane I already have that. Wasn't really much help. I think I decided I am going to make my own dogbones to fix the situation if they don't make the shock interfere with the swing arm that it. That's for thinkin of me though.

:banana: Spent way too much time on the bike in the last couple weeks I am hoping to be done soon because I am starting to get tired of it lol.
Freestyle72
Level 4.0
Level 4.0

Post by Freestyle72 »

^^^ Thanks man spent 11 hours rewiring the bike today cuz the previous owner totally butchered the wiring harness and it was filled with crimped connections which I hate/mistrust. So I removed almost all and replaced with solder. I have about 15 left to do tommorow but I can barely see in front of me right now from looking at that crap. I did test my gauges and new headlight and they work great with my reformed headlight.

Man I am half way done with fixing the harness and I have a massive pile of extra electrical tape and wires beside me. I'll take a picture of the final pile later and weigh it lol.

This is what I started with.

|

|

\/

Then it became this.

|

|

\/

Then finally we have

Trying to get the harness crimp free and all soldered so it's not so clunky. Also I don't trust crimped connections but that's just me. Plus it will be much easier to handle the harness and route through the bike and the skinny R6 subframe.

crap like this drives me nuts. All the wires are coming from one harness and then one random wire to the same plug is going to the other harness. It doesn't make any god damn sense. I wish I could smack the privous owner for this kind of crap.